Chrysler 200 Forum banner

Oil change

25K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  REDS200 
#1 · (Edited)
2400 miles. First oil change I used mobile 1, and I stopped at a dealer for a couple mopar oil filters. Very nice location for the filter, this was the least messy oil change I've ever done. $33 for the 6 quarts of mobile 1 fom meijers. $5 for the mopar filter... under $40 for mobile 1 oil change....cant beat that. Sent from my Triumph using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#2 ·
That's not bad, I was talking with a friend on another forum right before I bought my 200 and he was telling me that the '11 Camry 4 banger cost $70 to do a change and required 0w20 synthetic:confused: Soon as I read how thin that oil is, it told me how Toyota got rid of their sludging problem though...........

#4 ·
When did you put yours in? I have only had mine for a couple of weeks, with just 1K miles. I ONLY use Amsoil in every vehicle I have owned for the last 15 years. Nothing better. I averaged consistently 3 MPG better with the oil. No change with the transmission fluid, but what a change in smoothness. When we put it in my son's 3/4 ton diesel we looked at each other and thought we had put a different trans in it. HOLY COW what a change.

#6 ·
Out of curiosity, why did you change the oil at 2400 miles? Were you at your "6-month" change date? The owners manual recommends changing the oil every 8,000 miles or 6 months which ever comes first. I can understand wanting to stay ahead on the maintenance but, I want to know if I am missing something. I have, in the past, changed every 3,000 miles, but with what the owner's manual says, it's seems wasteful to change not even half way through whats suggested. Thanks for the input.

#7 ·
Some of us change the oil/filter very early because the engine is new and then switch back to the regular maintenance schedule. The whole oil topic is subjective and brings pages of opinions from everybody. I'm refraining from saying anything else because it will open a can of worms.....

#15 ·
Just curious, but if the oil on a new engine was to be changed earlier than normal, wouldn't the first oil change listed in the owners manual be before 8,000 miles or 6 months. Wouldn't the owners manual list 2,400 miles? I mean if not changing the oil in a new engine meant you were going to have mechanical breakdowns, wouldn't that cause Chrysler to have more warranty claims by owners? So, by listing the first oil change at 8,000 miles, Chrysler is setting every owner and themselves up for repairs? I DON'T think SO. I'm following the manual and my engine will run just as good, and last just as long as the 2,400 mile owner. By the way, why would anyone do their own oil change? Is it 1950? That can't save that much money? My time is worth more than that. ****, I've already wasted more time typing a reply to, quite possibly the worst thread on this forum, I could have paid for two oil changes. PS. For the guy who said, "just in case there are bits of metal", WTF. I would assume....uh, no.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#10 ·
it sounds to me like alot of people change oil too often. Using good full synthetic oil should net 10,000 mile intervals. VW does the first 3 oil changes at 10,000 each. i had the oil tested on the 2nd. drain and it was still good. I also have a Dodge HEMI engine and have been testing it with every change and they keep telling me to EXTEND the drain, the last sample had 7500 miles on it and the report said the HEMI engine is taking it in stride. On my way to a 10,000 mile interval here too, why throw away good oil and money.

#12 ·
At 2400 miles, I really just wanted the peace of mind that comes with having a quality synthetic oil as well as getting rid of the "break in oil". As a side note, when I hit around 3400 miles the "change oil soon" warning came on... so I wasn't too overly premature at 2400 miles.

#13 ·
Just go to www.amsoil.com. You can sign up as a preferred customer or a dealer if you want to sell it. Either way, it is the same price. I have used it since the late 70's. Love it, love it, love it. 1 year or 25K with their filter (which for the 200 is just a wix at this time). So you might have to change the FILTER at 6 months/12.5K and replenish the oil. When we installed the transmission fluid in my son's Ram 2500 diesel, we both just looked at each other. We couldn't even feel it shift, in comparison to the regular ATF+4. It was remarkable.

#16 ·
the reason why all car companies are extending the oil changes is to show how cheap it is to maintain the vehicle. YouTube 8000 mile oil changes and see what your engine is like in side. I have changed my oil every 3000 miles on every car I owned from brand new to used and never had a mechanical failure.

#18 ·
Both weights have the same temperature operating value at 5W. 5w-20 offers less resistance when cold = easier start. You may get more engine noise with 5w-20 at start up and may [very slight] also offer more mpg. 5w-30 offers more of a cushion at start up = less noise and perhaps very slightly less metal to metal contact. 5W-20 will not hurt your vehicle. I prefer to use 5w-30.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.