Transmission Problems
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums Ė General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Transmission Problems

Thanks

Unhappy Transmission Problems

I have the 200 S and the six-speed tranny is a problem. I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this issue.
    This is the first time Iím posting here. Iím a newbie!

First of all, this is not a very smooth transmission even by a six-speed tranny hooked up to a V6 motor standard, at least based on my experience. It shifts roughly and offers what I would describe as a very unrefined transfer of power. It feels like an old manual transmission with a worn out clutch would feel like - jerky and clunky. Itís a shame, really, because the car is such a great little car. I love a lot of things about it, but not the transmission.
    Now things are getting a little more troublesome. The car surges forward at times, or shifts very loudly (clunky and harsh shirting with a tug and a noise). Often while cruising and when lightly pressing the gas pedal the car will seemingly hesitate only to engage the gear in the same fashion. Itís loud enough and can be felt well enough that the passenger will ask ďIs everything alright?Ē

Dealer says all is ďnormalĒ and they cannot reproduce the problem. Now Iím to keep a log of the events to help pin point the problem. I was excited to buy this car and now after only 10K miles and 7 months of ownership I am very much regretting my decisionÖ
    Any thoughts on what is going on with the transmission? Anyone experiencing the same thing?

Thanks for reading!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Same for me, except mine is a touring model. I have been in and out of the service department several times for this (and several other issues). My car now has about 2500 miles on it, and the tranny has been rough since the first day. Very disappointing.

Thanks

Other than an abrupt 1-2 Shift, mine has been fine. I don't mind the shift style though, I like the more aggressive shifts too though.

Thanks

I have a strange quirk. When my 2.4l is cold and I start to drive off slowly, the transmission will start to shift from first to second and lock up so hard that the front wheels screech and a large clunk is heard. The action is very violent and throws me forward for a second. The first time this happened it scared the poop out of me. I literally thought I hit something. Again, the service center here could not find anything wrong. The 6 speed seems to have issues. Oh well, I guess they are my issues now.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
    Really Chrysler, you could not have added the hood lifts to the 200, really...
    Redline Tuning Elite Series Hood Struts
    Chrysler Chrome Exhaust Tip
    Chrysler Door Entry Guards
    Llumar Window Tint
    Llumar Clear Film for Appliques
    3M Film for MyGIG Touch Screen
    Lockpick CHR550
    3ea Korean Carcam 9 Cameras (two side view & one rear)
    BlackVue DR400G-HD 32gig Full HD Blackbox Video & GPS Recorder
    BlackVue Power Magic Battery Saver

Thanks

I have a little over 17,000 miles on mine. Transmission shifts fine. Give it some time to break in. Most of this comes from Chryslers torque management. It will smooth out over time.
    2013 Chrysler 200 Limited HT DT White on White in Black & white
    2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Q/C 4X4 SLT
    1996 Toyota 4Runner POC

Thanks

We have the Touring V6 and the transmission is not very smooth shifting, but it's not made to be. It's an aggressive shifting transmission with a very low first gear ( which will really be felt when the auto is downshifting ). Ours has right under 2K on it and has offered no problems thus far.

Did you guys test drive the cars you purchased and go through the ropes with them to ensure everything was fine? You should go through all motions you would if you owned the car on the test drive ( such as flooring it, cruising, hard breaking, etc. ). You should've felt the hard shifting in the test drive. If it's that rough all the time, surely it can be reproduced when taking to the dealer for service. Have you rode with the tech that is test driving the car to point out exactly what you're referring to?

I will tell you that it's difficult being a mechanic and finding a problem when all that's on the work order is somewhere along the lines of "Complaint of hard shifts" or "Sound when the car shifts" especially if it's normal for the transmission to shift aggressively. So if you haven't rode with the tech, try doing so to point out exactly what you have a problem with. Then they can tell you whether or not it's normal or actually needs serviced.

Thanks

I have noticed the same issue on a very minor scale. I had a pacifica with the same issues. When you slow down if you don't let completely off the car, and apply a little pressure to the brake the roughness goes away. I noticed with both my Chrysler products that you have to adapt to their quirks. Once you do that it's smooth sailing.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Thanks

KILLteq,

Yes, actually I have done exactly what you described. We tested the car for about 45 minutes when I bought it. Took it on a highway and through the city. The problem has been there from the start but the frequency of the shifting mishaps increased overtime. The test drive was perfectly fine. I completely understand what this type of transmission/motor set up should feel like and I don't expect it to be butter smooth. What is happening is extreme roughness that I would describe as "misses" where the gears seem to get stuck but the engine continues to operate as you would expect (increasing or decreasing RPMs) and then the tranny "catches up" very violently with a surge and loud bang.

Also, now that things are happening more often I am actually keeping a log (after talking to the service manager) and documenting what type of issue I'm experiencing and when. What the speed, behavior of the transmission is (downshifting, upshifting, etc.) ambient temperature, engine temperature, etc.

Riding with the tech is a great idea and I haven't thought of that yet. Thanks for suggesting it. I plan on seeing them in the next couple of weeks. They want to keep the car overnight to check fluid levers in the morning. By the way, based on my observations the issue is noticeably worse when driving unleaded gas (vs E85) and when the outside temperature is high.
    Last edited by Mike200s; 06-28-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Thanks

"I have noticed the same issue on a very minor scale. I had a pacifica with the same issues. When you slow down if you don't let completely off the car, and apply a little pressure to the brake the roughness goes away. I noticed with both my Chrysler products that you have to adapt to their quirks. Once you do that it's smooth sailing."

I have been trying. Things definitely seem less quirky when accelerating briskly. That's not 100% either, but better.

Thanks

With what you're describing, there is definitely an issue. Whether it be minor or major would be my concern. That hard shifting could be caused by anything from low tranny fluid or a faulty sensor all the way to internal component failure. However, I'd lean more towards minor issues causing this problem. Either way the warranty has you covered, so you can at least be assured you won't have to pay for the repairs. I really hope they get it figured out soon so you can enjoy your 200.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.