Chrysler 200 Forum banner

siri eyes free

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  lightsout190 
#1 ·
I am wondering if anyone on here has updated their UConnect system to the latest software which features Siri Eyes Free. This is supposed to allow iPhone users to use Siri through their Unconnect system to read txt messages, compose txt messages and other iPhone functions. Well I installed the upgrade myself over the weekend and so far haven't seen any benefit to the previous version of Uconnect. I am unable to use the voice command through the steering wheels control to instruct Siri to read txt messages or so forth. The Uconnect system just behaves like it did before in that it uses commands to change radio stations or access the NAVI system. I am wondering if anyone else on here has use the Siri Eyes Free feature and what their experience is like using it. I am using an iPhone 5S with it.

#2 ·
Lightsout,

In order to activate siri you have to press and hold the voice activation button (approximately 2-5 seconds). If you just press and release the activation button, you are correct, the system is the Uconnect interface. When you press and hold the activation button, you should see a text box appear on the uconnect screen that says "Siri" and you should also hear the familiar siri activation chime to indicate the phone is listening.

I have to admit that it is a little "slow" on the best day and unusable on the worst. Maybe the Uconnect system in our cars doesn't have the processing power or memory to handle this well? I've not tried it for text message sending/reading as I have my phone set to silence and do not get text notifications in the car but it works well enough for making phone calls most of the time and at least you can use Siri's shortcuts for phone calls (e.g. call "mom") instead of being stuck using what ever name is imported from the phone book.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info FLL200C, it definitely worked on my system now. I would have never figured that out and there is no documentation anywhere explaining how to properly use the feature. The one thing I have noticed though is that the system doesn't alert you when an incoming txt message has arrived. I can check by holding down the button and asking Siri to check messages to see if anything is there, but unless I do this there is no notification. One thing I have noticed is that on the phone menu screen on Uconnect there is a messaging tab between the dial tab and settings tab, but it is greyed out so it doesn't let me select it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.