Chrysler 200 Forum banner

First Oil Change

24K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  Gungnir 
#1 ·
Just picked up a 200S for the wife this past Friday (Whoohoo!), but wondering when is/has everyone been doing there first oil change. I know the interval is 8K miles, but I don't what to go that far on the first one. I was thinking 500-1000 miles, with dino based oil and then change again at about the 3-4K range with dino again and then wait until the 8K range to switch to synthetic. Also, what oil and filter are you going with. I know the filter is a cartridge type, are they hard to find at the local Autozone. I like to my own maintenance when I can, and as long as I don't hurt the warranty. Please let me know what you guys and gals think. Thanks :cool:

#6 ·
No one else?
My two cents. :)

I changed oil 3 times at 2500, 6200, and 10000 miles. After the first 1000 my MPG slightly improved from 21.5 to 22.5. Right after oil change it falls to 22 and restores its 22.5 in 300-500 miles. It happens every time. I am hard driver too. It also looks like that as I become close to my next oil change, my MPG start slightly to degrade. I believe it means I choose proper oil change period. Regular oil at Chrysler dealership.

#11 · (Edited)
My dealer just sent me a coupon for oil changes, pay $44 for your first oil change and get your next three for free. I'm at about 600+ miles now. Would like to take advantage of that deal before I hit 1k miles. Then do my own oil changes after that. Still up in the air though about when (mileage) for the first change and what mileage to switch to synthetic.

Thanks for your responses to date.

#12 ·
I honestly feel you can switch safely at any interval. These new tight tolerance motors can handle them from first turn over. Ask Bentley, Aston Marton, as well as corvettes and Vipers they all come from factory with mobil 1 full synthetic. Both mobil1 and amsoil say it is safe to switch at any time. So just because the oil in it is perfectly fine for one oil change interval and Its what it is used to until this point, I will stick by it and switch at 3k. Amsoil is slightly better in most wear tests and is safer for longer changing intervals, which I am going to do, maybe about 6-8k, I have not decided may just watch how it looks. Otherwise I find it obvious by all the factory's backing of Mobil1, you can not get better for that price and for regular 3-4k mile intervals. Secondly, I used Amsoil trans fluid in my '06 Mercury Mountaineer's 6 spd and it made it literally shift BETTER than NEW.. at 90k miles.. I will be switching this car to their trans fluid too, probably about 50k miles. I HIGHLY suggest to anyone who has never tried their trans fluid to do so, it is superior. Or do whatever you want, your car. Everyone please dont attack me with your brand loyalties, I am merely stating my plans for my car, which I am very confident in. I use royal purple mostly more recently, it has noticable feel power increases backed by dyno test at my father in laws race shop over mobil1 and amsoil (not on my vehicle but hes tested on multiple cars up to 10hp difference on a race motor he built.. it should be said they change that oil after every day at the track) Lab tests sent out showed amsoil, then secondly Mobil1 best for wear from same engine. So I'd suggest them on the street. Tests are repeated on Amsoils site as well as multiple other independant test on internet when apples are compared to apples. I used Mobil1 and lucas prior myslef, with never any bad results, and my father in law at his race shop uses Rotella in many more mild HP race engines. I have recently been converted to amsoil as they had the only LV ATF available other than the factory. I tried and was EXCELLENT product. Hope to not start an oil brand war here just putting out some facts from tests, my personal experience, and some food for thought.

#13 ·
I'm using Mobil 1 full synthetic(which I buy at Wal-Mart in a 5 gallon jug for cheaper than buying 4 individual quart bottles), and changing it at 3K miles. I used that same protocol on my 98 Stratus, which I got 200K miles out of with no engine issues. As for the filter, I stop at the dealer and pick up a Mopar one.

BTW: I would never get the cheap oil changes from the dealer. A lot of dealers are using recycled bulk oil, which can't be good for your engine.

#16 ·
Just performed my first oil change myself at 1720 miles. Took a few pics, will post up later. Prior to the oil change mileage was 21.6 mpg avg. I hit reset all, so we'll see what we average after this. Did have to buy Chrysler MS Spec oil (Valvoline something, but other brands are also certified), and they only had STP brand filter at the Autozone. Oil seemed a little discolored but not much and did not see any particles in the filter, but it did looked discolored, more so than the oil. Overall, pretty easy job. Look forward to doing it again

#17 ·
I've used Valvoline full synthetic on each oil change so far. I've changed every 5000 miles and will continue to do so....Avg MPG with mixed highway and city has been about 25.5. But i recently took a trip after this last change and got an avg 32.5mpg on a 3 hour trip with cruise set at 75mph. So far that's the best mileage I've had in the car. I have the 3.6L V6 also.

#20 ·
I just did the first oil change, at 1000 miles. Got that break-in oil out of there. Used Pennzoil Platinum and a wix filter. I feel a difference already after driving a while. Goes through the rpms smoother and im seeing about 3mpg more avg.

Btw the oil filter at the dealer is $8.50. The wix filter at oreillys is $6.50 and wix makes the mopar filter anyway.

#26 · (Edited)
I did the first oil change for my 2.4L PZEV on Monday, at 935 miles. I was kind of surprised at the lack of manufacturing debris in the oil or filter, and the oil looked quite clean, even for as few miles as were on it.
I used Pennzoil Ultra synthetic and a Mobil1 filter, after several days' research on both.
I'll most likely change it again at 4000, then every 4000 after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.