White Smoke from Exhaust
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: White Smoke from Exhaust

Thanks

Default White Smoke from Exhaust

While sitting at the red light the other day I noticed white smoke coming from my exhausts on my 200S.
    I thought nothing of it and keep going. I noticed the issue was still there the next morning, drove around a bit and kept and eye on it and it never stopped. It's not thick, but sitting at a red light in 75 degree weather, it looks like the car is in 30 degree weather because of the constant flow of white smoke.
    Any idea what could be causing this? I'm not noticing any liquids on my driveway, so I doubt anything is leaking. Additionally, I can confirm that the smoke is coming from the exhaust, not generally under the car.
    The car has about 10k miles on it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

IHI
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theonlybuster View Post
    While sitting at the red light the other day I noticed white smoke coming from my exhausts on my 200S.
    I thought nothing of it and keep going. I noticed the issue was still there the next morning, drove around a bit and kept and eye on it and it never stopped. It's not thick, but sitting at a red light in 75 degree weather, it looks like the car is in 30 degree weather because of the constant flow of white smoke.
    Any idea what could be causing this? I'm not noticing any liquids on my driveway, so I doubt anything is leaking. Additionally, I can confirm that the smoke is coming from the exhaust, not generally under the car.
    The car has about 10k miles on it.
    Smoke out of the exhaust can be one of two things
    oil seeping past valve guides or piston rings
    head gasket going out and coolant getting into cylinders

I would start monitoring oil level as well as coolant level for the next few days and see which if any is dropping.

Another possible idea would be part of the egr system that can be getting blow by sucked back into the intake track..again, not a good thing either. You can either take it to a shop and have them perform a coolant system pressure test and/or cylinder pressure leak down test...or kind of play it out and keeping an eye on oil and coolant levels to help pinpoint the problem.

Thanks

White smoke would be an internal coolant leak, oil burns blue-ish. White exhaust fumes would be considered normal on cold mornings/days but if you still have smoke coming out on a 75 degree day, I'd say you earned yourself a trip back to the dealer! Does the exhaust have a sweet smell? keep an eye on the coolant reservoir.

Thanks

Was it a lot or just...noticeable?

Thanks

Check the underside of your oil filler cap. If there is a white-ish substance, you likely have a coolant leak. I've never personally seen this, but I understand it is also possible if you start the car frequently for short trips in which the oil does not warm up properly before the engine is shut down. This is hard on oil and thus hard on any engine. Watch your coolant levels; if they remain fine and you acknowledge that your engine rarely has time to fully warm up, either try to change your driving habits or change your oil according to a heavy-duty cycle (more frequently).

If you do think you are burning coolant, however, a visit with the dealer is your likely solution.
    2011 Limited V6

Thanks

I am gonna say it was condensation in the exhaust pipes, or a humid day. I have seen this happen with several vehicles on days where there is higher humidity, especially in the dawn and dusk hours.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.