Chrysler 200 Forum banner

How do I Remove and Replace Headlamp Assembly?

48K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  marcuslgunn 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 Chrysler 200 that is out of the warranty period and i need to replace the passenger side headlamp. I am looking at it and i have no clue how it would actually come out of the front without what looks like complete removing the front end of the vehicle. does anyone now how i would go about doing this job?

any help would be greatly appreciated. I have not been able to find a related DYI.

#2 ·
#5 · (Edited)
Sorry maybe i should explain. my passenger side headlight is not working at all. the turn signal and marker still work but the projector does not. i have removed the bulb and replaced it and when i contacted the dealership they said they would replace the unit but i am no longer under warranty so i need to replace the unit because for some reason it no longer gets power? there is no fuse that controls the passenger side headlight bulb that i can tell. unless there is..

has anyone had any experience with this issue?if i can reset something or replace a fuse or relay that would be better but i have the new headlamp assembly if i need to replace the whole thing.

The driver side head lamp and bulb is still fully functional. have tested the bulbs on both side to ensure that wasnt it.

anyone have any ideas?

I have already tried disconnecting the battery for 5+ minutes and it did not do anything. im wondering if anyone knows how this issue is resolved?

if not, then i am curious if anyone has any idea how to remove the entire assembly so i can replace it.

#6 ·
If you need to replace the unit itself, you need to take off the bumper.. I've done it, it's not that bad.. mostly the black push pin things, but there are a few bolts behind the wheel cover.. take your time, you'll see them. If i remember right there is 2 up there you need to take off and then all the black things you can see under the hood and the ones underneath.. then there are the bolts holding in the unit.. not a bad job at all

#7 ·
If the bulb is a high and low beam unit and neither work, sounds like it's a grounding problem. The ground wires are typically black. Might be hard to trace down where the grounds go to a grounding point. If you have an ohm meter, you can check the ground wire back to the engine block or even to the battery ground post. Or without a meter you can get a wire and touch it to bare copper by opening up the wire insulation and ground the wire to the battery ground side. Be careful not to touch the positive side of the battery because if the wire to the light is grounded you would have a direct short. You can also go as far to use a 12V test light or meter to check voltage on the terminal when you unplug the light bulb with the headlights on and see if you have voltage. Not sure if your car uses fuses or circuit breakers to protect the head light circuit. Circuit breakers use to be popular for headlights because they auto reset so the lights will come back on.

#9 ·
Does anyone know if these headlights use a fuse or a relay? and if so which one it is? also, im not sure where the headlight bulb socket is wired to as it is wired within the lighting fixture. does anyone know where it gets its power outside of the headlamp assembly so i can unplug and test to see if i am getting power there?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.