Chrysler 200 Forum banner

Driveline vibration/knocking?

9K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Johnny K 
#1 ·
Anyone experiencing a driveline vibration?.. Originally I thought it was the tires from sitting overnight being slightly flat spotted and just taking time to get to full psi and back to round.. I have a short 12 mile trip to work.

It's FWD, 2.4L. 1200 miles on it.

Cyclical slight knocking feel that on smooth roads you can feel in wheel, gas pedal and left foot on floor..feels like a loose wheel (can't be...or would get worse?)..cv shaft... something moving.

Dealer replacing door panel for speaker badge upside down (really, right?)...So I'll have it checked out when they get it in...but thought I'd ask here..

Thoughts?

JK

#2 · (Edited)
Not experiencing this, but I'm curious which brand of tires on yours? With these symptoms it could be a tread separation or some other tire defect. Had this years ago with some Continentals and I don't think Nexens are anywhere near as good as Continentals. ;)

BTW How did your tint job turn out? Photos?

#3 ·
Tires are Bridgestone Ecopia (17").. Could be a tire/rim issue as one front rim has a stupid amount of weights on it...16 little "5 Fe" weights.. And one rear has 14 of them..

Tint is good.. Although first tint was llumar ceramic and there were too many small bubbles for my liking.. And under certain light/angle.. Sun mainly .. It looked cloudy/hazy. Kinda blue from inside.. Place re tinted all with non ceramic except for rear window which was good.

ill have to post pics.

thanks

jk

#4 ·
Is this at any certain speed. Mine is smooth for the most part, I do feel a shudder every once in a while at around 30 or 35 mph when stepping back into the gas, but that is the transmission doing that not the tires. I do also have those same tires on mine and its very smooth on the highway.

#5 ·
Yes at any speed.. but I notice more 35+. Hoping dealer feels it on test ride as well and doesn't say "unable to duplicate".. But they may check alignment & tire balance first.. Feels like a bad 1/2 shaft clicking.

JK

#6 ·
Thought you might have the same broken strut, but you said it makes a vibration on smooth roads, my broken strut only clunks when going over some type of bumps, not all of them.
Maybe a wheel weight fell off or a defective tire. I'll have to check my weights, I've got the same Bridgestone Ecopia 17", very nice ride

#8 ·
At dealer today getting looked at.. hoping I don't get the "unable to duplicate"... also mentioned to them the backup camera is jittery and going down steep hills and you touch the brake, engine revs and it downshifts.. let off brake and it upshifts.. tap brake and vroom again..

I'll follow up with any findings.

JK

#9 ·
Dealer..Unable to duplicate.. I had a loaner for 300+ miles.. 200 limited.. same motor as mine, it was fine, no vibrations.

So I'll have to hope it gets worse or the next time I'm in that area and it seems to be doing it, I'll have a tech drive it.. If roads are rougher, not noticeable, only on smoother roads.

JK

#10 ·
I found some information in another thread about a noise/sensation related to the steering on certain year 200's that might apply to this issue. There is a Chrysler TSB about it and the following is a quote from a Chrysler rep on this forum. I don't know if the problem is actually the same issue but it seems like a possibility. The other thread was about a clicking noise through the steering wheel.

There is a TSB available for a steering "click / pop" noise that may resolve your concern:

TSB 19-001-14

SUBJECT:
Clicking/Popping Noise While Turning Wheel

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the inner tie rods.

MODELS:
2012 - 2013 JS Avenger / 200
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after August 2, 2011and on or before May 6, 2013.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customer may describe a clicking/popping noise while turning the wheel which occurs after vehicle has been driven for a minimum of 30 minutes at above idle. Noise typically heard when driving below 25 mph or when turning steering wheel while stopped.

#11 ·
Thanks for the input Dale. Doesn't match what I'm seeing, but time will tell, I assume.. Mine is just driving down smooth roads.. Yesterday felt it more after I drove 10 miles.. Hoping it get's worse so it's easier to diagnose. Sound like a 1/2 half shaft making noise. but I'd assume that would do it all the time. unless it would act up after it warms up.. who knows...

JK

#12 ·
Follow up: Seems to make noise after driving a while and everything's warmed up.. Took to dealer after I put 10+ miles on the car and luckily they had a tech available this past Saturday.. Had the tech drive and nothing noticed on older roads with flaws, but once we hit some pristine smooth roads you could hear the noise & slight knocking.. He agreed it wasn't normal.

Appointment for 10/23.

I'll update on if/what they find.

JK

#13 ·
My vibration, I initially thought, was too high a gear and the engine was lugging as that's what it feels like. But if I downshift with the cruise on to 7th or even 6th I still get a vibration, however slight. I do hate the Ecopias as they are either the noisiest tire I ever owned or the car is just not insulated enough. I guess when I replace them I will find out.

#14 ·
Quick Q... anyone else with the 17's Ecopias on their cars get flat spots overnight and you feel it for the first couple miles?.. I only had flat spotting issues with my last car (Charger R/T with 20", low profile tires)..

Taking in Thursday and would like to comment if others do NOT have vibrations first thing every AM.

Thanks in advance for your input.

JK

#15 ·
Dealer swapped out tires with their demo/loaner. Road noise gone.

Ordered 4 new tires rather than changing one at a time.

Said tires on there definitely make a "whump, whump" sound on smooth roads.

Reading reviews of ecopias.. Not good.. Wish they were michelins. Never had an issue with a Michelin.

#16 ·
What brand of new tires are they ordering?
Now that you mentioned the whump whump noise, the Ecopias I have make that noise too. And my previous car had the Michelin Energy, those tires were very quiet and you wouldn't notice so many noises like these ones.

#18 ·
4 new Ecopias put on today. For the 10 miles I drove it, seems smooth. Time will tell once I drive it more. Based on their putting rims/tires from another vehicle and the noise was gone, I assume I'm good.. unless a rim is not right.

JK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.