Chrysler 200 Forum banner

200s AWD in the snow?

29K views 56 replies 26 participants last post by  mikemaj82 
#1 ·
Hello,

First post here. This looks to be a great forum!

Anyway, I have been shopping for a new car for a few weeks and believe I have settled on a 200s AWD (3.6L V6). The purpose of this car is to be my daily driver/commuter car, and to serve as a backup to my wife's van as the family vehicle when the weather turns bad.

I have not been able to find any reviews where somebody posted about how this car does when driving in snow. I imagine that is due to how new this car is.

Does anybody have any input on this topic?

Thanks for any and all replies!

--Matt

#2 ·
I can't wait for the snow !! I still have not decided about a snow tire package. I have 2 other AWD/4WD vehicles with snow tires so I don't think I will spend the $$ on the 200. I will drive it is snow but for really bad storms will just drive my TBSS. But I am curious about the stock Ecopias in light snow with the AWD. My best test is usually my own driveway !!

#3 ·
Hello,

First post here. This looks to be a great forum!

Anyway, I have been shopping for a new car for a few weeks and believe I have settled on a 200s AWD (3.6L V6). The purpose of this car is to be my daily driver/commuter car, and to serve as a backup to my wife's van as the family vehicle when the weather turns bad.

I have not been able to find any reviews where somebody posted about how this car does when driving in snow. I imagine that is due to how new this car is.

Thanks for any and all replies!

--Matt
Given that we are pretty used to driving in a lot of snow here in Canada, all I can tell you, by experience, is that I don't expect this car to be tougher to drive in the snow than any other car. the only thing I can see, is that it will take good winter tires because of the V6 power. Bad tires would easily spin and could make it tough to climb a hill. Here's what I will be putting on my car: http://www.nokiantyres.com/winter-tyres/nokian-hakkapeliitta-8/

I fully understand that those of you in the states don't need such high end tires, but it is a must here :)

#4 ·
I understand.

I am in Missouri,, right in the middle of the USA. We get a variety of weather here. We hit over 100 F in the summer, and usually hit as cold as -10F in the heart of winter (at night). But we have nothing like your Canadian winters!!

Still, the last winter here was colder than usual with much more snow than usual as well. But for us, that means that we would get a 5-8" of snow 3-4 times a month.

Where I live is fairly rural; and lots of hilly, twisty roads. So even the smaller amounts present a challenge. Hence the reason I am leaning towards AWD.

I do have a 4x4 truck, however, we really need 2 vehicles that can get out of the driveway in the snow, since my wife an I both work. So if the AWD 200s can do OK in the snow that might fit my needs nicely.

#6 ·
Michelin X3 Ice are good snow tires and are still not too disturbing noise wise when riding on pavement...If you are looking for winter tires, these would be a good choice. Otherwise, for a few nowfall in the winter, you can keep your 4 seasons tires and the AWD should be enough if you drive safely.

#5 ·

Well since this new model just came out this spring/summer...that's why.

The only places I know of (so far) that have seen any snow (in the U.S.) are the high mountain areas of Colorado.

#7 ·
AWDs are great in snow, but will be limited by the crappy OE tires. OE tires are picked for price and LRR. All other aspects are sacrificed.

#8 ·
I agree. I hate the stock Ecopias. They are not cheap either if you price them on Tirerack. I have Michelin Pilot MXM4 on my Olds that are Green X rated and they are quiet as a mouse. The Ecopias are loud. Either that or the 200 is not insulated as well..

#13 ·
An easy way to improve winter traction is lowering tire pressure as it increases the size of the tires contact patches.

#14 ·
I'm also waiting anxiously for the snow. My wife has a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and that thing was a blast to drive in the snow last year. There were only a few other cars on the road struggling and we drove right by them with no problems. I hope my 200 is the same way.

#15 ·
I previously had an AWD Jaguar X-Type with stock 16 inch wheels and continental tires. Excellent in the snow with zero issues and I am talking Northeast winters. When it was time for tires I went with Goodyears and again zero issues with snow and I was getting around while SUV's and other cars were stuck in the snow. Never felt the need for winter tires, just a good all around all season tire.

Same goes with my Nissan Murano AWD. Always running a good all season tire on it since new and again never stuck in the snow and never felt unsafe driving in it.

My 2012 200 Limited with the crappy LS-2's is a different story. They were awful in the snow and I cant wait to get my new tires on. When shopping next year for a new car it will definitely be AWD/4wd and I think the new 200 with AWD would perform excellent in the snow with the factory tires, its on my short list of cars to test drive.

#18 ·
I have lived in different parts of Canada like Winnipeg Manitoba, locals call it Winterpeg, Toronto Ontario and Windsor Ontario. I have never used winter tires, can't do that on a company car, and I have never had a problem getting around on the stock tires. I have had Jeeps, AWD cars and minivans and for the most part front wheel drive and rear wheel drive vehicles. Never had to call for a tow or get pushed out of snow bank. A big part of winter driving is knowing what you can do and what you can't do for the conditions. I won't have an AWD car this winter, but I think you guys that do have one will be just fine on the factory tires. One thing I have observed with people that haven't had an AWD car in the past is that they think it is great that they accelerate so well in the snow and they drive too fast for the conditions. When they go to stop, they suddenly realize that the AWD doesn't help them and they can't stop any better than a 2WD car.

#19 ·
Pallen:

You couldn't be more correct. Just because you have traction to move forward does not mean you will have enough to stop or turn. I have witnessed too many idiots on the road pass by me only to then pass them in a ditch later.

I have a lot of experience in driving in snow with a true 4X4 vehicle. What I mean by true is something like my truck, 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. In that truck, when I engage the 4-wheel drive, the front axle is locked. it is all-or-nothing. 4x4 or 2x4.

I am new to the AWD scene though, and I am looking forward to see how this car does in the white stuff.

In my original post, i was just feeling things out as I was in the decision making process of whether or not to buy this car. But now I have put some money down so i am committed.

Looks like this model is still too new for anybody to have any experiance driving one in the snow yet. I guess we will all wait and see.

#20 ·
All you have to do in a snowstorm is look at the side of the highway. 95% of the vehicles in the ditches are 4x4 truck and SUVs. Growing up I got by fine on a multitude of RWD vehicles. But today's cars offer AWD. Its like my Glock, I rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it..Especially true with the 200s disconnect feature !!

#21 ·
I drove my RWD Pontiac G8 GT through 3 winters just fine on summer performance tires. Then I drove my vette through 2 winters. It's not so much about the car you're driving, but about knowing how far you can push your car in those types of conditions and not lose control.

#22 ·
Yes, I believe many people here (including myself) have driven many types of vehicles (successfully) through the snow.

This thread is more about how this AWD car will handle in the snow and if aftermarket snow tires are required (for most).

For sake of nonsensical debate, it should be assumed the car will be driven by a "normal" driver displaying "sensible" winter driving techniques.

#25 ·
+1 here in QC, no winter tires = accident soon + they are mandatory from dec 15th until March 15th, it's the law. I totally understand you guys from the north east USA, true enough you can drive all winter on 4 seasons tires but here, when I have 12 feet of snow on my front lawn, winter tires are a must. I am riding Yokohama iceguard IG52 and no issue at all last winter. The car was doing just fine.

#27 ·
I drove my 2015 200S FWD in the snow here in Kansas last winter and even took it on a road trip during the snow time. While not AWD, it handled extremely well as long as I drove smart. I had the Nexen tires on my car and not snow tires. I thought it handled better than other FWD cars I had driven in the past.

#28 ·
Interesting, I don't think I saw a single answer to your specific question.

I have had my 200c AWD since late December. I am in the Denver, Colorado area. Yes, I drove my car in the snow. I too, use mine as a "daily driver/commuter car". I travel about 40 miles each way to work. I have the factory upgraded 19" rims and tires on the car.

The car performed better than expected! I had doubts just about ground clearance. But, I did not run into any issues. I also didn't attempt any off-road 4 wheel drive stunts. I did my daily driving. I felt confident in the car. Now, we didn't get any 3 foot snows, or even any 2 footers last year. But, when it snows here 12+ to 20 inches is not unusual. I am in an outer suburb. Our residential streets are not the first to get attention by the snow plows. So, there were many mornings where the streets had not been touched. The car did not hesitate to proceed. I even have to start uphill from my driveway and did not have any issues.

For the everyday commuter, this car with AWD certainly outperforms a FWD, of any make. The tires gripped, but I didn't go trying to exceed their grip. I just drove the car.

I don't recall any issues with stopping, either. The car appeared to respond to braking as expected. No surprises, so scary moments.

I hope you enjoy your new purchase. I will say I am very happy with the 200c. The value (as in benefits for the amount of money) I've experienced still says it was a great choice.

#29 ·
I despised my 200 AWD with the Bridgestone Ecopias. On really bad days I left it home and took the Trailblazer or Avalanche. This year I have some Blizzaks to hopefully improve my experience.. Tire Alloy wheel Rim Synthetic rubber Automotive tire

#31 ·
My 200S AWD with the Ecopias was incredible in the snow last season. Then again this is coming from someone who has never had AWD before and doesn't feel the need for snow tires... or AWD. My FWD Limited before now I thought was great. My old 13' S was terrible with the LS2's.

It it 70+ degrees here today. I feel like I am in a different part of the US. Completely out of character for me because I like the warm weather, but I am actually looking forward to the snow. It normally has snowed at least twice by now and is at least cold.

#32 ·
Ok I bought my 200C AWD 3.6L last January (2015) and we had a record winter season for snowfall. My 200 with the stock Ecopia tires on it (and over 4200 miles since I bought a demo) performed outstandingly in the snow here in Kentucky. Hills, curves, straight roads, highway, freeway, plowed and unplowed my 200 went through it with no issues. This winter I will still be on my now well worn Ecopia tires. However when I do finally replace them I will be going with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus.

Attachments

#34 ·
I am dying to put my snow tires/wheels on to see how much quieter or noisier they will be compared to the Ecopias. We are getting an inch of snow maybe tonight :)

#35 · (Edited)
Awd/4wd does help with braking, I'm not sure where this misconception comes from. The front and rear doesn't become disengaged when you let of the throttle and apply the brakes (I know our 200s disengage the drive shaft when temperatures are warm, but we are talking snow). When applying the brakes you will has less of a chance of the wheels braking independently do to the the connection between the front and rear.

I go through quite a bit of driver training from my employer by professional drivers. The biggest thing that is taught is braking hard enough without allowing abs to activate, the distance by doing this is 20' in a 3/4 ton truck @ 50mph.

Our 200s with awd have similar traction programming to the Cherokee. Our cars can be capable it just comes down to how well you drive!

#36 ·
I have no idea what any of that means and I been driving for over 35 years. 40 if you include sneaking my brothers car out before I got a license. But since I never been in an accident in the snow, I guess I don't have to know what your talking about. I hope you helped somebody :)

#38 ·
First real snowstorm here with my 3 week old tires... I actually enjoy driving my car in this stuff. It's awesome in the ice and snow. Roads were mostly not plowed and are deep with snow for my commute and the ones that were are completely ice covered still.

#39 · (Edited)
I had a great chance to test my 200 AWD C during Tuesday's commute. My tires are also 3 weeks old. I was very impressed. I hit I-25 north out of the springs at 5:00 AM before the plows were out. The car was amazing. I was glad that I had AWD as there were many cars that were stuck on the highway in the I-25/ I-70 area. This is the first AWD car that I have owned. I used to get by with RWD or FWD just fine. I would drive my wife's Grand Cherokee on the 4-5 days per year that I actually needed AWD.

FCA has engineered and executed a wonderful AWD system on this car. My wife's 2015 Grand Cherokee Overland has a superb AWD system as well. I'm very impressed with FCA's design on both vehicles.

#41 ·
I got buy for 39 years in Colorado without AWD or "4x4" - granted 15 of those years I was not of driving age and 4 of the 15 years I was in Illinois. :p AWD sure is a nice luxury to have in this car. I took out my wife's car last night (she rarely drives it) and wow, roads I thought had no ice or were not slippery... it was sure different, I had forgotten. Just "damp" roads suprised me watching the traction control light flash... and her car is great in the snow for a FWD vehicle. She uses my car if she has to go somewhere and the roads are not completely dry.

Off topic - how did the dealer visit go regarding your coolant level? (I can't find that thread)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.