Chrysler 200 Forum banner

Poor MPG

8K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  Matrix21 
#1 ·
So I notice when I initially accelerate to 40mph, that my MPG is around 2-8MPG with maybe 1/8th throttle (this is most of my drive with stop and go traffic). Once I get up to 40mph, it goes to around 20-25MPG. Anyone else experiencing this?

#2 ·
Yeah, this is the same way mine is as well in stop and go traffic... I just assumed this was normal as it is similar to the way just about all of the vehicles I've owned have behaved. I telework a lot for work now which was most of my highway driving so for better or for worse I'm only averaging about 16mpg which is probably 85% city driving. The penalty for the smile the Pentastar v6 puts on my face unfortunately.

#3 ·
Are you talking about the MPG indicator that always changes depending on how far you press on the gas? The one that shows up like a half circle? The one that reads 0 mpg's when your at the red light?

I ask, because that is normal in all cars. Accelerating is always very low in the mpg's. It's the amount of time cruising at leveled speeds that gives you the best gas mileage. This is why we're always told to really take it easy on the gas when starting from a stop and to take it easy when coming to a stop.

#4 ·
You understand that the MPG indicator is real time correct? So yes, while you're accelerating, it's going to be lower than when you're coasting or maintaining a constant speed. When you're coming to a stop, it probably reads 99 mpgs too right? It's a reflection of what mpg you are getting at that specific moment in time, not an overall average. The overall average is found on your trip screen, also in the fuel economy screen, but in smaller print.

#5 ·
100% normal.

The average MPG is what matters. if you coasted downhill constantly all the time somehow, you would really get 60-100MPG.... if you hold the throttle at say 30% ALL THE TIME and NEVER coast.. you would get about 5-8MPG.

Since you CANNOT really EVER do either of those, you should get at least 17MPG and best of 30MPG depending on how and where you drive.

Instant MPG lets you know how stepping on it or coasting affects your AVERAGE MPG... think of it as a driving coach.

#7 ·
I was averaging about 21 mpg all winter and just recently I noticed it climbing back up, currently at 25.4.
I don't know what you mean by 16/23, average should be one number.

#8 ·
White200C, Same here in Canada, currently averaging 21MPG and climbing as it gets warmer...a bit :). Expecting it to climb as soon as I start turning off the heater, heated seats, etc...

#10 ·
Travman: I've got an off topic question for you as I see you've got a Dart to go with your 200. My 200 LX came with the compressor and sealant instead of a compact spare and jack. Seeing that your 200 is a C, I expect that yours came with the compact spare and jack. I've checked a few wreckers but haven't located a wrecked 200 that I could get the spare kit from. I believe the Darts have the same bolt pattern, 5 x 110mm, as the 200, so I expect that they may use the same spare tire kit. If they do and seeing as how the Darts have been around for a couple of years longer and there'll be more of them out there , it'll be easier to find a Dart spare kit from a wrecker. I was wondering if you could check your cars and tell me if the spare tire kits are the same. Thanks!!!

#11 ·
I've been getting improved readings the last couple of tanks, right now I am at 22.5 mpgs in city-ish driving. I am determined to hit over 300 miles on this tank, at 240 with 65 miles til empty. Have not hit 300 yet besides on my couple of trips to NY

#13 ·
During the period since you joined the forum my onboard computer has reported 16.9 MPG. However the calculated average from the actual gallons added and miles driven was 17.6. This is also nearly 100% city on 89 octane. I was careful to keep the tires inflated to 38 psi (cold) even at 10°.

Last year during warmer weather it was getting about 19.5 for city driving and the reported and calculated were very close. So I expect yours will be getting better along with the weather.

#16 ·
What engine? AWD? Weather conditions?

I found my computer has been understating MPG during the colder weather but was overstating slightly when it was warmer. Though it could also be understating city and overstating highway since I drove more highway when it was warmer. Of course even the manual calculations can be off if the tank isn't filled to exactly the same point every time. Also may vary with the temperature (density) of the fuel at the time you fill up. So I won't be confident in my findings until I have a lot more data.

My earlier post in another thread:
My fuel economy has also been down since I put in the K&N, but this has corresponded with the coldest February here since 1875. I'm pretty confident this period has been the coldest 5 or 6 weeks I've lived through in 60+ years.

I keep a fuel log and last weekend I got around to loading the data into a spreadsheet which I use to track over the long haul and also calculate MPG to compare with what the car's computer estimates.

I found a couple interesting things.

First: This is the first vehicle I've owned where the on-board computer has reported worse MPG over a sustained period than the actual calculated value. Overall the calculated fuel economy was actually 2% better than the computer reported. This is a good thing. Previous Mopar vehicles I have owned tended to overstate their fuel economy.

Second: This has only been the case since the temperatures got cold. From June through September the on-board system reported 3% better than actual. From October through February it reported 6% worse.

So, not only is colder weather hurting fuel economy, which is a given, but it also appears that the algorithm used by the on-board computer makes it appear the fuel economy is worse than it actually is when the weather is cold.

The type of driving might also play a role, since I've driven very few highway miles during the fall and winter. So it could also be that the on-board computer overstates highway MPG and understates city MPG.

Whatever, as usual your mileage may vary.;)

#20 ·
I have been putting on some miles on a few rare work related outings and got my average up to 19.1 mpg. I could have taken a company car, a Chevy Cobalt, but chose to drive my own :)

#21 ·
Our's is still hanging around 28 mpg with local highway cruising pushing it into the 29 and low 30's.
Still really happy with the economy.
The only cold start I told my wife to do is to start as she walks out the door. That gives the car enough time to get the oil pressure up before driving away.
Sitting at idle, cold, really eats the fuel.

#22 ·
Totally agree with your last statement, but with the winter that we had here, I had no choice but to start it 4-5 minutes before leaving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.