9024mi and...
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 9024mi and...

Thanks

Default 9024mi and...

Hello! So it's been cold up hear lately. Friday was -35f.. And I have been noticing the it seems hold gears a lot longer....like it was in sport mode... But with the roads covered in ice it is not. So this morning I had to be in to work at 5am. I let the car run for 15 minutes before I put it in drive it was -4. I drove 15-30 feet befor it started flashing performance shift disabled. And would not shirt out of 2 reving up to 5k+. I stopped and restarted the car all was well light stayed on for the next few runs then went out.

So I called the deller... " ya we can't get that in today sorry. Try Monday 7 am." I told them I work 4am to 5pm most days and that wouldn't work. This is why I bought new so I would not have the worry. She told me I can drop it off on Sunday.. But I kind of.. Well ya know need a car so.. That won't work. " well I'm sorry sir if there is any thing else we can do let please let us know"... After I stopped the blood shooting out of my eyes 😳😤 I told them I would figure something out and put me in for 7am Monday..

Wish me luck

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Good luck with your service visit. Best to let them experience the condition cold. If you drive it there, they will only tell you they can't replicate the condition.
    Remember too, the transmission won't heat up unless you are driving. Allowing the car to "warm up" only gets heat in the engine.

Thanks

I know some vehicles go into some kind of "protective mode" in temperatures that low, my 2006 Avalon did that, but it seemed to be by design. It was fine when it was driven slowly for a few blocks. It wouldn't shift past of 2nd (unless you manually shifted it out of 2nd) until it was warmed up. I didn't have a garage at the time.

It's been -9 here and my 200 didn't do that, but then again it sits in a garage at home.

Maybe take the car to a different dealer since basically the ink just now dried from signing the paperwork. You have less than 10,000 miles. Since it's winter I am sure they are backed up, but maybe a service advisor could chat with a tech and see if this is normal behavior. They could at least show some effort to assist instead of just blow you off considering you have such low mileage.
    "Black Knight" was my father's trucker CB handle.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD

2013 Chrysler 200 Limited V6
    Lease returned 1/28/17

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

it's been -21 here for at least 2 days and my car didn't do that also.

the only thing i felt when it's really cold (-5 and below) is the transmission can take longer to shift, as all my other cars before. (Elantra and old Protegé).

as a matter of fact, it was -21 yesterday, so i remote started the car and got rid of all ice on it (icy rain during the night), i got 1/4'' of ice all over, it took me 10-15 minutes in all. Fun... Anyways, after letting the car idled for that much time, when i got going, the tranny worked good.

So my point is (lol), it is normal that the tranny holds its gears longer than usual, but after 15 min of idling you should be good...and no CEL of course.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Matrix21 For This Useful Post:

200s16 (12-19-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix21 View Post
    So my point is (lol), it is normal that the tranny holds its gears longer than usual, but after 15 min of idling you should be good...and no CEL of course.
    Yep ... that is downright cold !
    But again I must make the point. Allowing the engine to warm up does nothing for the transmission.
    Until you start driving, and the transmission starts spinning and moving, you won't get enough heat in the unit for it to shift normally like it does at operating temperatures.

So if I can answer your question, yes, in my opinion. It seems normal for a cold transmission to hold shifts longer, until warmed up.
    Both my vehicles hold shifts longer, especially the colder it gets. Neither of those cars reside in a garage.
    And the coldest it's been here is 15, above.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fltru103 View Post
    Yep ... that is downright cold !
    But again I must make the point. Allowing the engine to warm up does nothing for the transmission.
    Until you start driving, and the transmission starts spinning and moving, you won't get enough heat in the unit for it to shift normally like it does at operating temperatures.

So if I can answer your question, yes, in my opinion. It seems normal for a cold transmission to hold shifts longer, until warmed up.
    Both my vehicles hold shifts longer, especially the colder it gets. Neither of those cars reside in a garage.
    And the coldest it's been here is 15, above.

..... I'm pretty sure that it does warm up the transmission.. You may want to look in to your clam. I think that the torque converter may have something to do with it(hint hint).

So I stopped by the dealer on Monday and you'll never guess what,?.. That had to reset the trans! Lol then they told me that the computer showed the trans fluid temp was -40f ... Hmmm that's odd I say. He stopes and looks up "why is that odd" ? Because the pic I took of the car dash when the light came on sets it was -5 out... How can a fluid have a -35f temp difference?. He than told me maybe my computer was cold...

So yesterday I did a experiment. Cold start trans temp was 13f about +5f over outside temp. After a 15 min idle the temp was 65... Witch gives me puse as to the "-40" bs as I did the same thing that morning.

But the short of the long is the 200 is now shifting fine.

Thanks

I actually looked at my trans temp. after doing the 20 min warmup from my remote start. It was at 56F. So, nowhere as high as the coolant. But, it warmed a bit.
    2015 200S AWD - Vivid Blue w/ the 9-speed and the blue/black interior. A couple packages, but not everything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 200s16 View Post
    ..... I'm pretty sure that it does warm up the transmission.. You may want to look in to your clam. I think that the torque converter may have something to do with it(hint hint).
    I won't dispute that it may provide some heat from the torque converter since it's right next to the engine, but a spinning converter, with fluid movement, but not friction, won't really heat up enough to make a difference. ( in my opinion ) You need to have that fluid moving throughout the transmission, against the clutch plates, where the friction process starts, for any appreciable heat to build.

So I stopped by the dealer on Monday and you'll never guess what,?.. That had to reset the trans! Lol then they told me that the computer showed the trans fluid temp was -40f ... Hmmm that's odd I say. He stopes and looks up "why is that odd" ? Because the pic I took of the car dash when the light came on sets it was -5 out... How can a fluid have a -35f temp difference?. He than told me maybe my computer was cold...

So yesterday I did a experiment. Cold start trans temp was 13f about +5f over outside temp. After a 15 min idle the temp was 65... Witch gives me puse as to the "-40" bs as I did the same thing that morning.

But the short of the long is the 200 is now shifting fine.
    Glad it's shifting fine and the software update did it's job.

Today I went out to my cold car, started it and immediately checked the transmission temp., which read <-104 F ... and I can't tell you what the symbols mean either.
    But since the outside temperature was 28 F, I know for sure the transmission was cold and the read out was wrong. I drove a total of 1 mile and the reading never changed.
    I suspect that was the last temp recorded before the car was parked last night. I know it works as I have seen different readings.

As for your cars transmission "warming up" to 65 after an extended idle time, that is about what I would guess would be the residual heat transfer from the engine warming the converter.

Idle time of 15 minutes is excessive ( in my opinion again ) but to each his own. I give the car about 30 seconds, to a minute in really cold days, to allow full circulation of the engine oil. I then proceed very slowly for the first several minutes and keep my speed down until I see the temp gauge move up.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fltru103 For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (12-22-2016), Slopar15 (12-22-2016)

Thanks

That's how I am, too. I won't use the remote start unless it's less than 10F out. So, most times, I'll let it sit after starting for a min or so and then drive gently for the first mile or so.
    2015 200S AWD - Vivid Blue w/ the 9-speed and the blue/black interior. A couple packages, but not everything.

Thanks

16000 now still a grate car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.