Repeated cylinder misfire issues
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Repeated cylinder misfire issues

Thanks

Thumbs down Repeated cylinder misfire issues

My 2016 200 is back at the dealer for the 3rd time for a cylinder misfire. Each time its a different cylinder. First time they replaced a spark plug. Second time they took a little more time and replace the cylinder head for the problem cylinder. It started acting up again on Saturday just before I headed out to take a bunch of teenagers out for my daughter's birthday. Luckily the same service tech was there and just checked me in, got me a rental in record time. I drive alot of miles but mostly freeway and the car has about 48k miles on it right now. I'm just really sick of the whole car. Do these issues give me a dirty Carfax or diminished value on this lemon of a car? Is this a widespread problem or did I just pick out the lemon from the bunch?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Few questions.
    4 cylinder or 6? Assume 6?
    I assume the ECU calibration is up to date?
    Does this happen at load, idle, or specific time (raining)?
    Whats your air cleaner look like?
    Are you getting more codes then just misfire cylinder #?

If you are not technically inclined...it's ok.
    Ask if they have done a cylinder leak down and compression test. If they haven' request it. It's not normal for a misfire to jump cylinders unless it's fuel or ignition related. My guess is it's fuel pressure related, or engine harness related, possibly crank or cam position sensor.
    Last edited by gokart2; 03-06-2017 at 04:05 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gokart2 For This Useful Post:

joyb (04-17-2017)

Thanks

My car is a 4 cylinder. I'm not technically knowledgeable about the car. The issue happens while driving on a flat, straight road, dry weather. I haven't asked about the cylinder leak down and compression test but will mention it the next service I get. Never considered it was a fuel pressure or other issues. It uses a lot of oil. Example - got an oil change, 2 weeks (and 1,000 miles) later checked my oil and it was down 2 quarts. Doesn't seem like in a relatively new car that is regularly maintained it should be drinking oil that quickly.

6. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

sorry for that, it's really disappointing. but what are the symptoms of cylinder misfiring?

Thanks

If you are losing that much oil, and there are no drips under the car when it is parked, I would check the PCV ( Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve. If it is stuck open there is enough vacuum to suck oil out of the sump. I have a V6 and change the oil every 10,000 Km and never have to add oil between changes. Hope you find the problem.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.