8.4an Radio - Issues Started with "Vehicle Phone Requires Service" message
NEWS
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 8.4an Radio - Issues Started with "Vehicle Phone Requires Service" message

Thanks

Default 8.4an Radio - Issues Started with "Vehicle Phone Requires Service" message

As the title states, over the last week, I've gotten the "Vehicle Phone Requires Service" message 3 times. LED on mirror goes red... got it to go off by pressing assist and making a call that way.

Did a bunch of web searches and in most cases, dealers are replacing the units.

- I tried to do an update, it freezes at Unit 9 "Sierra Air Card" at 1% of unit, and 73% of total update. The message "Sierra Wireless: bolo file install failed. Please remove USB stick to reset" appears and then you can try it again.. Note: to get out of the loop, take USB out when in Unit 1 and it should go back to normal. Also the software shows the new version and Siri works now.

- Reformatted USB, and redownloaded file, no luck.

- Reset radio in engineering menu, no help

- Most times the Uconnect Icon shows "3G"... other times it does not

- I can connect to "assist" with the mirror buttons and then select one of the three options and it calls just fine (if I have 3G showing). 911 button sometimes will work.

- Note: My uconnect one year trial was over well over a year ago, so no active subscription (do you need a sub for 911 and assist to work)

- GPS fine..

- Radio seems fine today.. Only issue is it wont finish the update, suggesting Air Card is bad, yet 3G shows and I can contact uconnect through the assist button (using the air card!)..

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

JK
    2015 200C, Nav & Sound Group, 2.4L, Granite Crystal, 35% Tint

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Multiple threads on the issue. Here I documented our problem and eventual radio module replacement. 8.4 clock losing time

Thanks

[QUOTE=fltru103;586898]Multiple threads on the issue. Here I documented our problem and eventual radio module replacement. [url]http://www.200forums.com/forum/50

Thanks for the link. I may have to bite the bullet and have the dealer attempt an update to see if they have a way to fully test unit... I'd assume it will only get worse based on the other threads.

JK

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
    Thanks for the link. I may have to bite the bullet and have the dealer attempt an update to see if they have a way to fully test unit... I'd assume it will only get worse based on the other threads.

JK
    From my experience, taking a picture of the screen provided all the proof I needed to convince the dealer a problem existed. I know they called Chrysler support and were probably told to swap out the radio module.
    An update might help, and it should be free at the dealer.
    Good luck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fltru103 View Post
    From my experience, taking a picture of the screen provided all the proof I needed to convince the dealer a problem existed. I know they called Chrysler support and were probably told to swap out the radio module.
    An update might help, and it should be free at the dealer.
    Good luck.
    Assuming they have a way to get past the Sierra Card Update part where it errors out. Thanks for the input. I think once out of warranty, I'll be on the hook for any work done (unless a recall or other problem they are stepping up on).. Oil change Friday, so we will see.

Thanks!

Thanks

Dealer did a "reset".. said to let them know if it acts up again.. I pointed out that I already did that, but maybe theirs is different.. who knows... Bu I won't try the update again and take back in if it act weird again.

JK

Thanks

Paperwork states "Stores code for loss of comm from bcm to the telematics gateway module, will need to factory reset if this happens again it will most likely need new telematics gateway/hfm. Performed factory reset on radio per star case S1508000108.

Note: when I did factory reset in engineering menu, it wiped out radio to like new, no phone paired, no GPS setting (had me in Texas), no radio stations. When I get car back from dealer reset, all was there, like no changes. Clock was off 8 minutes. Need to see if time update the next time I drive..

JK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
    Paperwork states "Stores code for loss of comm from bcm to the telematics gateway module, will need to factory reset if this happens again it will most likely need new telematics gateway/hfm. Performed factory reset on radio per star case S1508000108.

Note: when I did factory reset in engineering menu, it wiped out radio to like new, no phone paired, no GPS setting (had me in Texas), no radio stations. When I get car back from dealer reset, all was there, like no changes. Clock was off 8 minutes. Need to see if time update the next time I drive..

JK
    Time not updating was one of the symptoms we had also. Ours would eventually update on time and location, but I believe you need a new radio ... or the fancy name "telematics gateway module", which is what was swapped out on our vehicle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fltru103 View Post
    Time not updating was one of the symptoms we had also. Ours would eventually update on time and location, but I believe you need a new radio ... or the fancy name "telematics gateway module", which is what was swapped out on our vehicle.
    Thanks for the feedback. I guess time will tell.

Clock did update immediately the next day, and during all of this, GPS has always been accurate, except when I did a reset from engineering menu and it had me in Texas for a day..

Red light on mirror was on when I picked up.. pressed assist button and then exit from that screen and light went off.

JK

Thanks

I give up....

- Get in car yesterday AM, I see the time jump to the correct time.. Drive to work, GPS "where am I" page shows location, shows satellites connected to. Plus 3G shows available.

- Leave work, time wrong, not connecting to any satellites, shows longitude and latitudes moving, map appears correct... reset radio (hold mute & seek buttons).. now navigation off a mile (going from spot I reset radio from while driving)..time still off..3G not available.

- Get in today, time right, map right, satellites connected, 3G available...

You know if I take in, it will be fine...

Arrrrgh!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.