Heater / Radiator sludge issue -- need STAR info, please.
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heater / Radiator sludge issue -- need STAR info, please.

Thanks

Default Heater / Radiator sludge issue -- need STAR info, please.

My 2011 200S has just over 24,000 miles on it-- and this winter I noticed the common issue of no heat on the passenger side.

The dealer diagnosed a clogged heater core-- but said the radiator has not failed yet so they cannot replace it.

Chrysler has also refused to replace the radiator at this time despite the number of known issues with the cooling system sludge and the obvious risk of contaminating the new heater-- because the dealer said it was not a problem yet.

I have not been able to find out how it was tested-- if at all-- but in the recent cold NY weather the car would not have overheated even if the radiator was 60% clogged.

Does anyone have the STAR bulletin that details the correct repair for this so I can request the correct repair with something to back it up, or will Chrysler Cares step in to assist?

Thank you in advance--
    Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

There are Chrysler customer service reps that monitor this site. Have you tried sending a private message to "Chrysler Cares" on this forum?
    I am sure he/she could help you. God luck....

Thanks

Excellent idea-- PM just sent.

Thank you!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Please keep all of us updated. Somebody here will have an answer I am sure.

Thanks

There is a STAR case on this issue. its case number S1207000008. the STAR case involves removing the radiator cap and checking for white-ish sludge found at the top of the coolant reservoir. If sludge is found and poor heat results from heating system, replace engine oil cooler, radiator cap, heater core and radiator.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Capecodmopar For This Useful Post:

200S Convertible (04-24-2014)

Thanks

Thank you, Capecodmopar.

I received a reply from ChryslerCares yesterday evening-- but the dealer still states the radiator is fine (how do they know? No flow test was done) so Chrysler will not authorize the replacement.

With the STAR number I may have better luck convincing them to do the entire procedure.

Better hurry-- the car is going in Monday for the heater core only.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 200S Convertible View Post
    With the STAR number I may have better luck convincing them to do the entire procedure.
    Ahahaha, ohohhoohoho, hehehehehhe!

You're funny, I like you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 200zor View Post
    Ahahaha, ohohhoohoho, hehehehehhe!

You're funny, I like you
    It would be funny if it wasn't so true. Chrysler dealerships are probably the worst I've ever encountered insofar as warranty service.
    I'll really think twice before buying another one of their products, that's for sure!!

Thanks

To be fair, it can vary by dealer. I've been to several Chevrolet dealers. Some were okay, some were excellent, and one pushed me to the point of demanding to speak to a manager. I remember him being an unresponsive pud. To me, it's all about the employees. A smile and appearing to enjoy/appreciate your job goes a long, long way for me.
    2011 Limited V6

Thanks

Chrysler's response has been the same from the first call. They insist there is nothing else needed except replacing the clogged heater core because the dealer's tech told them they didn't notice anything wrong with the radiator, etc.

This dealer is one of the best around for customer service but in a small town -- they tell me they have not seen any other 200's with a similar problem and were surprised to find the loss of heat was due to the heater core.

I really can't fault the dealer since Chrysler has tried so hard to keep this issue from going public-- not even a published service bulletin much less a recall to flush the systems before there was a problem. Even the STAR bulletin is difficult to access, apparently.

The pleasant ladies on the Chrysler phone line have no technical skills and no access to the star bulletin--but have heard of this problem before, at least. Their only suggestion was to let them know when anything else in the system fails.

I did receive a prompt response from Chrysler Cares-- but it is the same result, the dealer tech does not see any reason to replace anything except the clogged heater... so that is all they are covering.

If there is a problem later on you can be sure I will expect & demand full coverage on all repairs from Chrysler.

Thank you all for your comments-- even the laughter at my expectation of true customer service. Maybe my next car should be a Tesla.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.