Heater Core Replacement - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Heater Core Replacement

Thanks

Here's what's been removed so far

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

My passenger side heat does not work..... I called the National Highway Traffic Safety number 888-327-4236 to report I cant defrost my passenger windshield and they said if enough people call the can do a recall on that heater coil (that's what my mechanic said was the problem)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trenbren View Post
    My passenger side heat does not work..... I called the National Highway Traffic Safety number 888-327-4236 to report I cant defrost my passenger windshield and they said if enough people call the can do a recall on that heater coil (that's what my mechanic said was the problem)
    It would be great to see a recall for these issues. Any idea on how many people are needed to call in and how many have already done so?

I'm not sure how long heater cores typically last and how much culpability there is on Chrysler. My heater core is in need of replacement after almost 5 years.

I have little faith in receiving any type of assistance from Chrysler or nhts with this car.

I bought the car used in 2014 and three months in I had a random complete failure of the transmission. The warranty covered the replacement of the trans. A few months after that the starter went. That cost about $700. I've only had minor issues with the car otherwise but Chrysler's service in my area has been horrendous. I plan to never buy Chrysler again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

FWIW here is a pic from the service manual. It says you remove the heater core out of the driver's side of the hvac box.

1. Remove the foam seal (1) from the flange (2) located on the front of the HVAC housing (7).
    2. Remove the screw (8) that secures the flange to the front of the HVAC housing and remove the flange.
    3. Remove the screws (3) that secure the heater core tube retaining brackets (6) to the side of the air distribution housing (4).
    4. On RHD models, remove the air distribution housing from the HVAC housing (Refer to 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning/Distribution/HOUSING, HVAC - Removal)
    5. Carefully pull the heater core (5) out of the driver side of the air distribution housing.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dale_K For This Useful Post:

Gooch (01-12-2017), jxbane (01-09-2017)

Thanks

I think perhaps after you remove the core you should have it pressure tested at a rad shop before installing the new one. Just in case the leak may be somewhere else.
    2015 Chrysler 200 Limited - Build Date 03/15 - Vivid Blue
    Black Cloth Interior
    3.6L 6cy
    8.4A System - Nav Activated
    Comfort Group
    18"x 8" Satin Silver Rims with Bridgestone Ecopias 235/45/18
    Rims are : 18"x 8" : 5x110 : Bore 65.1 : Offset 41mm
    Winter Rims; Hidden Content with Hidden Content . 225/50/18
    35% Tint
    Yellow gas cap
    Added Cargo Net
    Replaced the Brake/Turn Signal Light Bulbs With Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shamrock249 For This Useful Post:

jxbane (01-09-2017)

Thanks

Thanks for this!

I'm almost finished I think. The dashboard is hitched on something and I'm not sure what at this point. It slides out only 6 inches and stops on something.

The current heater core looks like its the culprit considering the buildup that I can see on it. Once everything is back together I'll check for leaks and go the pressure test route if there is any more leakage.

When I pulled off the heater hoses, there was the white-ish buildup seen inside of the core lines. The radiator seems ok for now but it will likely get swapped soon as well.

Thanks

How are you making out jxbane?
    2015 Chrysler 200 Limited - Build Date 03/15 - Vivid Blue
    Black Cloth Interior
    3.6L 6cy
    8.4A System - Nav Activated
    Comfort Group
    18"x 8" Satin Silver Rims with Bridgestone Ecopias 235/45/18
    Rims are : 18"x 8" : 5x110 : Bore 65.1 : Offset 41mm
    Winter Rims; Hidden Content with Hidden Content . 225/50/18
    35% Tint
    Yellow gas cap
    Added Cargo Net
    Replaced the Brake/Turn Signal Light Bulbs With Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shamrock249 View Post
    How are you making out jxbane?
    Hey there. I've had a great time working on the car but some good and bad circumstances have prevented me from working on the car.

I've had a lot of job interviews since last week and this week which had taken most of my time. Also, we've gotten a lot of snow and then a bunch of rain which also reduced how much time I can work on the car.

At this point, all trim peices have been removed and other than the dash not being fully removed, I think the HC replacement portion of the job is about 80-95 percent done. As I was quoted $1450 in labour for the full job, I'm hoping that my work will bring that labour cost down to between $300-700.

I've also been doing some interior detailing of the areas that are now exposed. The car should look brand new when everything goes back in.

Thanks

Thanks for the update. I had a 93 Plymouth Sundance Duster and to replace the heater core the entire dashboard needed to be removed.
    "Black Knight" was my father's trucker CB handle.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD

2013 Chrysler 200 Limited V6
    Lease returned 1/28/17

Hidden Content

Thanks

What's up guys - one of the final updates on this job:

I had a Chrysler dealership swap out the core after I had removed all interior trim and bolts holding the dashboard and steering column.

I was still quoted 5.5 hours of labour - which I feel is a bit too high considering they were to return the car as-is - but I just wanted the work finished.

Side note: anyone else notice that mechanics get a bit testy if you happen to be less than oblivious about cars?

I had the car towed back home yesterday afternoon and today I have put everything except the glove-box back into the car. No leaks found while refilling the coolant. After a road test I'll know how well everything is working.

--Here's the $$$ info that I think is most important--

I was quoted 10 hours labour for the entire job including removing and re-installing interior trim + dashboard. Labour at the dealerships in my city is $120/hr+13% tax. I saved a bit over $610 CAD by doing the interior work myself. The heater core I had purchased for $240+tax.

I would not recommend doing this in the winter or at least without a heated garage.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jxbane For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (01-16-2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.