Heater Core Replacement
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Heater Core Replacement

Thanks

Default Heater Core Replacement

My 2012 Limited has sprung a leak to the extent that the drives side front and rear footwells have pooled with coolant.

My passenger side air vents were also blowing cold air.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Unfortunately, my local dealerships have quite poor customer service and I would rather not give any more money to Chrysler. I'll be posting some key points in my effort to remove the heater core myself.

Materials:
    Heater core - $282
    Coolant: $42

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Good luck with a very difficult job !
    Let us know how you make out.

Thanks

If you could get hold of a shop manual it would simplify the job greatly. If there is such a thing available.

I replaced a heater core a long time ago in one of my cars and having the shop manual helped a lot. Good luck with your endeavors .
    2015 Chrysler 200 Limited - Build Date 03/15 - Vivid Blue
    Black Cloth Interior
    3.6L 6cy
    8.4A System - Nav Activated
    Comfort Group
    18"x 8" Satin Silver Rims with Bridgestone Ecopias 235/45/18
    Rims are : 18"x 8" : 5x110 : Bore 65.1 : Offset 41mm
    Winter Rims; Hidden Content with Hidden Content . 225/50/18
    35% Tint
    Yellow gas cap
    Added Cargo Net
    Replaced the Brake/Turn Signal Light Bulbs With Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks for the encouragement.

At the time of my post yesterday I had already removed the center console, heater controls and lower panel below the steering wheel.

I was able to take off some plastic parts on the heater/air conditioning unit and now I can see the heater core and pull it out slightly.

The most difficult part of the job so far is removing the heater hoses. It seems I will have to cut and replace them as they are bound tightly to the old heater core.

Just to get to the hoses on the 3.6 I recommend taking off the large plastic elbow that connects to the throttle body. It's a tight squeeze.

Thanks

Hoses are off and I hoped that the heater core lines would simply slide through the firewall but no luck.

At this point, I'm back to square one - removing the entire dashboard.

Thanks

I have a 2012 and bought the service manual because I plan on keeping the car for a long time. I have checked out the relevant info and my advice to the OP is to bite the bullet and take it to a shop because it looks like a difficult job. The service manual says you have to remove the HVAC box from the dash to replace the heater core. The steps involved are beyond the typical home mechanic. For one thing, you need to evacuate the A/C system. Here is some of the info from the service manual....

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
    2. Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system (Refer to 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning/Plumbing - Standard Procedure) .
    3. Partially drain the engine cooling system (Refer to 07 - Cooling - Standard Procedure) .
    4. Remove the top nut (2) that secures the heat shield (3) to the stud (1) located on the dash panel.

NOTE: Two slots are provided at the bottom of the heat shield to aid in heat shield removal. Complete removal of the two bottom heat shield retaining nuts is not required.
    5. Reach behind the engine and remove the two bottom nuts the that secure the heat shield to the studs located on the dash panel and remove the heat shield. Rotate and tilt the heat shield as required.

6. Remove the bolt (1) that secures the A/C liquid and suction line assembly (2) to the A/C evaporator (3).
    7. Disconnect the A/C liquid and suction line assembly from the A/C evaporator and remove and discard the dual-plane seals.
    8. Install plugs in, or tape over the opened refrigerant line fittings and the evaporator ports.
    9. Disconnect the heater hoses (4) from the heater core tubes. Install plugs in, or tape over the opened heater core tubes to prevent coolant spillage during housing removal.

NOTE: Make sure to remove the five bolts that secure the HVAC housing to the instrument panel support prior to removing the instrument panel from the vehicle.
    10. Remove the instrument panel (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/PANEL, Instrument - Removal) .
    11. Remove the rear floor ducts (Refer to 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning/Distribution/DUCT, Floor Distribution - Removal) .
    12. Remove the condensation drain tube (Refer to 24 - Heating and Air Conditioning/Plumbing/TUBE, Condensation Drain - Removal) .
    13. Remove the nut (1) that secures the passenger side of the HVAC housing (2) to the dash panel (3).

NOTE: Use care to ensure that the interior is covered in case of loss of residual fluids from the heater and evaporator cores.
    14. Pull the HVAC housing rearward and remove the HVAC housing assembly from the passenger compartment.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dale_K For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (01-09-2017)

Thanks

I know this is off topic but have you ever known anyone to have problems with the projector sheilds getting stuck when you are switch from high back to load beams

Thanks

Thanks Dale. I bought a Haynes service manual for the car to help me along.

I have 4-5 bolts remaining to remove according to the instructions and I'll have the dashboard removed.

It's -20 where I am so I've been taking a bit longer than expected.

Thanks

Also, I'm going to try to avoid removing any harnesses and ac lines. I know that there are instructions to remove these types of parts but all I need is two inches of wiggle room to remove the heater core.

With someone helping to hold the dashboard in place I expect to be able to gain this space to swap the core and being reinstalling all panels.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.