Camera looking thing between dome lights
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Camera looking thing between dome lights

Thanks

Default Camera looking thing between dome lights

Hey everyone, I just got my 200 home this weekend and I noticed something while I was at the dealer but they could not tell me what it was or what it was for. I have added a picture from the owner's manual that shows the dome lights. What is the camera looking thing that has a cover underneath it. Thanks for the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camera looking thing between dome lights-200-camera.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

I believe I read in the manual that it reads the temperature in the interior. Interesting to see if there is a different answer.

Thanks

yup, jbird is correct, its like a thermal reading of the car temp zones so when you use the "auto" feature the car knows where the blowers need to blow, and the force of them
    Chrysler 200 Touring, 3.6L, Bright White, Black Interior, 35% tint

Thanks

don`t worry, it`s not big brother keeping a watchful eye on you hahaa

defiantly for interior temperature, i wish Chrysler picked a better location for that, not a fan.

Thanks

Yes, that is indeed the infrared temperature sensor.

On vehicles equipped with automatic climate control an infrared temperature sensor is located on the back edge of the overhead console. The infrared temp sensor consists of an infrared transducer concealed behind a clear lens located in a molded plastic housing.

The infrared sensor detects thermal radiation emitted by the driver and front passenger seat occupants and surroundings and converts its data into a linear Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) output signal which is read by the Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) A/C-heater control. The ATC A/C-heater control uses the infrared sensor data as one of the inputs necessary to automatically control the interior cabin temperature levels. By using thermal radiation (surface temperature) measurement, rather than an air temperature measurement, the ATC heating-A/C system is able to adjust itself to the comfort level as perceived by the occupants. This allows the ATC system to compensate for other ambient conditions affecting comfort levels, such as solar heat gain or evaporative heat loss.

The ATC system logic responds to the infrared sensor message by calculating and adjusting the air flow temperature and air flow rate needed to properly obtain and maintain the selected comfort level temperature of the occupants. The A/C-heater control continually monitors the infrared sensor circuits, and will store Diagnostic Touble Codes (DTCs) for any problem it detects.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ChryslerCares For This Useful Post:

BobBetz (04-02-2014)

Thanks

Awesome guys/gales!!! Thanks for the help on this. For those that found in it in the manual can you point me to a page number or section? I was unable to find it but I think I probably just went past it. Thanks again.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dschminkey View Post
    Hey everyone, I just got my 200 home this weekend and I noticed something while I was at the dealer but they could not tell me what it was or what it was for. I have added a picture from the owner's manual that shows the dome lights. What is the camera looking thing that has a cover underneath it. Thanks for the help.
    Camera looking thing between dome lights-200-camera.jpg

From my perspective it looks like two eyes, a nose and a mouth (shaped in a blowing fashion), but upside down.

Sorry it's been a crazy long weekend, and I've had a lot on the go lately......perhaps I should go to bed and skip the rest of the posts tonight........na, I will keep plowing through them. LOL.......
    Chrylser 200 Limited, Black on Black, Hardtop Convertible

Thanks

Chrysler has been using infrared to sense the interior temp for years. Since it's optical, its position in the car is important. From the overhead console it can "see" all over and the sun never shines on it.
    Black 200S Sedan / NAV / Sunroof

Imported from Detroit. (and Trenton, and Sterling Heights, and Kokomo)

in the very heart of Silicon Valley, California
    Thanks

I never had really expensive cars, but my friends have. I hate their auto A/C. They are either blow icy air stream to you, or toast you in heat. After every trip in their cars I am always sick :-( So I was very suspicious about 200's A/C.

It all turned out well. The 200 auto A/C works just perfectly. And I believe the infrared temperature sensor is a part of good job.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.