The smell of antifreeze
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The smell of antifreeze

Thanks

Default The smell of antifreeze

Well, starting to give up on this car. I recently had my car worked on, the idler pulley was replaced per a TSB and the cooling system was bled since it was "gurgling and sloshing". The sloshing is coming back and now I am smelling antifreeze. Maybe I should have traded it in after all... I am not seeing any leaks, and there is no antifreeze on my garage floor, so if there is a leak it is so small it evaporates before it can drip, maybe it's getting caught on a plastic panel under the car and then drying up. My cooling system is out of warranty since I have over 36,000 miles on it, but I never had problems until after the water pump was replaced (long before 36K miles), at least not with the smell and sloshing. My wife's 200 does none of this, so something isn't right for sure. Guess I i will look under the car tonight to see if I can see any visible evidence of leakage.
    "Black Knight" was my father's trucker CB handle.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD
    Factory tuned, RPM Torque Tube

2013 Chrysler 200 Limited V6
    Lease returned 1/28/17

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Is the smell inside the passenger compartment or under the hood?
    What was determined that causes this "sloshing"?
    2014 200S 3.6L Black
    Build Date 11/2013
    In service 4/17/14

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wymi View Post
    Is the smell inside the passenger compartment or under the hood?
    What was determined that causes this "sloshing"?
    Under the hood.

They said it had not been bled properly after the water pump replacement, so they bled the system. It was fine for a little while. When I first brought it in, I showed them that the coolant level was low.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD

Lease returned 1/28/17

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

I'd run it until the motor gets good and hot then shut it off and look for leaks with a bright flashlight. I chased that coolant smell for quite a while once on a car and it turned out to be a drip from a bad radiator cap. It would dry up like you said, new cap and the smell was gone.
    2014 200S 3.6L Black
    Build Date 11/2013
    In service 4/17/14

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wymi For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (02-09-2015)

Thanks

Hey Black Knight,
    When did you last have your 200 at the dealer and how long after did you start to notice this smell?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ChryslerCares For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (02-10-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChryslerCares View Post
    Hey Black Knight,
    When did you last have your 200 at the dealer and how long after did you start to notice this smell?
    I got my car back from the dealership the afternoon of January 29th. I noticed the smell the middle last week.

Last night after a 20 mile commute - I popped the hood and heard a "sizzling" kinda sounded like an air leak, it was coming from the coolant reservoir cap. So I grabbed a thick rag and pressed on the cap for a second, and the air noise went away -nose came back after I released it. Is the cap the problem or too much pressure in the system? I also notice what looks like dried up coolant on the top of the tank near the cap, could be it was just a little spillage from when it as bled?
    Last edited by Black Knight; 02-10-2015 at 01:13 PM.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD

Lease returned 1/28/17

Thanks

It's worth a try to replace the cap.
    2014 200S 3.6L Black
    Build Date 11/2013
    In service 4/17/14

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I got my car back from the dealership the afternoon of January 29th. I noticed the smell the middle last week.

Last night after a 20 mile commute - I popped the hood and heard a "sizzling" kinda sounded like an air leak, it was coming from the coolant reservoir cap. So I grabbed a thick rag and pressed on the cap for a second, and the air noise went away -nose came back after I released it. Is the cap the problem or too much pressure in the system? I also notice what looks like dried up coolant on the top of the tank near the cap, could be it was just a little spillage from when it as bled?
    This is interesting... I am having the same issue and this is all after they flushed the coolant system too. I notice a faint coolant smell coming from the front of the vehicle after the car is driven for 20 minutes.... I am going to look at the fill cap for the issue. I do not hear a hissing sound though and the coolant does not appear to be dropping but non the less I do smell coolant.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wymi View Post
    It's worth a try to replace the cap.
    I bought a cap at lunch. I will replace it tonight when it cools down sufficiently. 5 bucks for the cap well worth a shot I agree.

I'll post back if that does the trick to eliminate the smell and sound. It's not audible when the hood is closed only when it's open, at full running temp and the engine off.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD

Lease returned 1/28/17

Thanks

I'd do that to avoid going back to the dealer! I found a few drips of oil under my 200 V6 a month ago. The oil appeared to be coming from the oil drain plug. I remembered the oil drain plug has a poor excuse for a built in rubber gasket that I saw last oil change. I went to the local auto parts store and bought a really nice replacement plug with a very stout looking built in rubber gasket, it was $6.00. Did the quick oil plug swap, only lost a little oil. While I was under the car I checked the oil drain pan bolts. All the bolts took a half turn or more according to the torque wrench built in to my arm. Been a month and no more drips. All well worth it to avoid the dealer.
    2014 200S 3.6L Black
    Build Date 11/2013
    In service 4/17/14

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)