Camshaft - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Camshaft

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Machineman View Post
    The 2.4 that is used in the 200 is a mechanical flat tappet. It uses different height lifters from the factory to get proper lash. I just done 2 of these heads in my machine shop and they are not a hydraulic roller, the old 2.4 yes, these, no.
    Well, I certainly can't argue with you as you've had some engines apart, so I concede you are correct about the mechanical tappet. If you don't mind could you share the lash spec. and what caused you to have the engines apart in the first place ?? My fear is the lash was somehow too tight and burned a valve.
    I've seen this on many Honda engines that require periodic lash adjustment and have assumed they never actually got adjusted or adjusted too tight or valve wear lessened the lash.

On the 2.4L, 200, is the rocker a roller or slider??

I appreciate the education and hope you have time to respond !!

Thanks
    Randy
    2011 200 Limited Pentastar
    Black/Black Leather
    2001 Sebring Sedan 2.7 Black
    1986 GLHS373 Black
    1986 GLHS60 Black
    1979 CBX Black

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

I think they are rollers but not completely sure.

Thanks

Randy this 2.4 has no rocker arm. The cam lobes run directly on the lifter bucket "lifter" which is directly on top of the valve. The 2 heads i done was covered by dodge's warranty. One head had no compression, valves had tightened up. I done a valve job reset to correct lash and it was fixed. The valves on these heads cannot be adjusted by your do it yourselfer because of the timing chains having to be removed. The second head was my personal car 2012 15,000 miles. The coolant was cooling down about 30-40 degrees when the engine was being revved, fine at cruising speed. Faulty head gasket to blame.

Please don't ask why the car was cooling down and not heating up because the service manager and i both were puzzled. I pressure tested the head, resurfaced it and back it went. So far so good. Now to answer your lash question. I think intake was .007-.009 and exhaust was .010-.012
    but don't hold me to that.

Any more questions feel free to ask.
    Last edited by Machineman; 07-26-2015 at 08:55 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Randy this 2.4 has no rocker arm. The cam lobes run directly on the lifter bucket "lifter" which is directly on top of the valve. The 2 heads i done was covered by dodge's warranty. One head had no compression, valves had tightened up. I done a valve job reset to correct lash and it was fixed. The valves on these heads cannot be adjusted by your do it yourselfer because of the timing chains having to be removed. The second head was my personal car 2012 15,000 miles. The coolant was cooling down about 30-40 degrees when the engine was being revved, fine at cruising speed. Faulty head gasket to blame.

Please don't ask why the car was cooling down and not heating up because the service manager and i both were puzzled. I pressure tested the head, resurfaced it and back it went. So far so good. Now to answer your lash question. I think intake was .007-.009 and exhaust was .010-.012

Okay if I was trying to mod this thing regardless money what and or how could this be done?

Thanks

I appreciate the up date and now understand the valve train design!
    All you said was correct, apologies to the_komrade for my incorrect info.

Thanks
    Randy
    2011 200 Limited Pentastar
    Black/Black Leather
    2001 Sebring Sedan 2.7 Black
    1986 GLHS373 Black
    1986 GLHS60 Black
    1979 CBX Black

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    I appreciate the up date and now understand the valve train design!
    All you said was correct, apologies to the_komrade for my incorrect info.

Thanks
    Randy
    No problem I had no idea and also appreciated the information.

Thanks

Try Evo X cams. Brian Crower cams look like they fit in the 2.4l

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)