Can Bus error for dead headlamp?
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can Bus error for dead headlamp?

Thanks

Default Can Bus error for dead headlamp?

I have a 2012 200 Touring with the 4 cyl, and I noticed this morning during warmup that a headlamp was out. I was expecting a Can Bus error message in my gauge cluster but received none.

I have had an error for a malfunctioning LED tail lamp in the past (due to a dead alternator and battery power running low). So does Can Bus not care about headlamps, or am I missing something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

I have received a message when one of my front turn signals went out so I thought you should see something for a dead headlight. But when I checked the owner's manual there is a list of about 20 conditions that will generate a message and a dead headlight is not one of them. Don't know why not.

Thanks

Thank you for confirming that. I guess I missed that in the manual! I also think it's odd that a dead headlamp wouldn't generate an error. Does that mean I can upgrade to a LED substitute for the HIR2/9012 without trouble?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

I just wanted to provide an update to my headlamp replacement. I went through the wheel well without removing the wheel, but had to remove three screws and three pop rivets to peel the splash guard back. I managed to remove the headlamp dust cover and the headlamp and stick in an individual 4800 lumen Hikari LED lamp. And it works without flickering! Very white and bright light!

So the answer is that my 200's Can Bus doesn't care about the headlamp bulbs!

I also learned that turning on my parking lights will also turn on the LED "eyebrows" in the headlights. So I've had cool DRL all along too!

Thanks

Another update... I was dreadfully mistaken that Can Bus didn't care. The LED headlamps worked fine on battery, but started malfunctioning with the engine running! And here I thought I was a special snowflake...

So I purchased a set of Can Bus compatibility modules from Diode Dynamics and hooked them up to the LEDs. Everything fits inside the headlamp assembly so I didn't have to modify anything, not even the dust cover. And now they work perfectly!

I plan on getting a sort of video tutorial uploaded to YouTube this week.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)