electronic throttle control light came on, but no trouble code, cannot replicate
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: electronic throttle control light came on, but no trouble code, cannot replicate

Thanks

Default electronic throttle control light came on, but no trouble code, cannot replicate

Friday I was driving around town, and noticed a slight delay with acceleration. Upon getting about 2/3rd of the way home, etc light came on. First solid, then flashing. Hobbled the car home, and turned off the engine. Waited a couple minutes, and turned the car back on to see if we could get a trouble code or if we could replicate the issue since he knew someone who could fix it. We drove about 20 miles without it triggering again. He took it out yesterday with no issue about 30 miles round trip. Friday night when we got home we tried to pull trouble codes to confirm if it was the sensor or the actual throttle body. No trouble codes were stored. The incident on the way home seems to have been a isolated issue. My question here is this: is the electronic throttle control powered by the battery? I did have the air and radio going and I'm sure I was charging my phone as well so it was under a load of sorts. Battery was done by factory about 2 months ago, and ecm update at the same time. Is there anything I need to watch out for, or was this really just a one off issue and I just need to watch the battery use?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmrose1984 View Post
    Friday I was driving around town, and noticed a slight delay with acceleration. Upon getting about 2/3rd of the way home, etc light came on. First solid, then flashing. Hobbled the car home, and turned off the engine. Waited a couple minutes, and turned the car back on to see if we could get a trouble code or if we could replicate the issue since he knew someone who could fix it. We drove about 20 miles without it triggering again. He took it out yesterday with no issue about 30 miles round trip. Friday night when we got home we tried to pull trouble codes to confirm if it was the sensor or the actual throttle body. No trouble codes were stored. The incident on the way home seems to have been a isolated issue. My question here is this: is the electronic throttle control powered by the battery? I did have the air and radio going and I'm sure I was charging my phone as well so it was under a load of sorts. Battery was done by factory about 2 months ago, and ecm update at the same time. Is there anything I need to watch out for, or was this really just a one off issue and I just need to watch the battery use?
    First, complete your profile section. We don' know what year vehicle you have.
    Second, what do you mean the "factory" did the battery ? What does that mean ?
    Normally I would say check the vehicle's battery first. But how old is the battery, was that replaced by the "factory" ?
    Everything electronic is controlled by the power source, which includes the battery. The alternator supplies running power, and all on board computers need a constant and seamless power supply.
    If you haven't experienced the problem since, then not much can be done at this time.
    No codes, no actual issue present, then finding the problem is impossible.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fltru103 For This Useful Post:

Sleeper200c (04-29-2019)

Thanks

Did someone other than a dealer clean your throttle body and with their fingers open the butterfly (throttle plate) - that "someone" you know that can fix it? If so, you probably need a new throttle body assembly.

Backyard mechanics might not know not to do that unless they have already ruined a newer drive-by-wire throttle body this way. Sometimes you can get "lucky" and there is no problem after you do it, but these Chrysler throttle bodies are not designed to be manually pried open.

Technically there is no service interval for cleaning it, but you can get away with cleaning it using brake cleaner making sure to NOT pry open the valve manually, yes you can still clean all of it because it's never fully closed (sealed off) or else the engine doesn't have any air and can't run.
    "Black Knight" was my father's trucker CB handle.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD
    Factory tuned, RPM Torque Tube

2013 Chrysler 200 Limited V6
    Lease returned 1/28/17

6. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Ok so firstly I apologize I was clearly tired and mis-spelled a bit here.

The dealership here in Monroe did my battery, ECM update, spark plugs/wires, coolant flush, and oil change among a couple other things about 2 months ago. They also changed out the battery as it was the original 2012 battery that came with my Chrysler 200. I usually put about 330 miles a week on my car, and I always have radio and USB charging for the most part each way. Also, at times ive left the car "on" where its just battery powering the stereo and cigarette lighter (charging port).

What im wondering here is because i tend to leave the car on a little bit before work each day, and the day I was driving around putting a bit of a load on the car if that could have triggered a one off situation. I was in Monroe which is about 13 miles from home, and as soon as i got about 2 miles out of town if that the ETC light came on, and i lost power to the accelerator. I was able to hobble it home, but putting it in park made it idle very rough.

When we got home, I turned the car off and I sat in the garage about 2, 3 minutes. We decided to take it back around the block so that my friend could see what the exact issue was. We drove about 25 miles without an issue before coming home. Researching the actual light off of the dashboard pointed to the ETC.

We did not change any parts, take anything off the car, touch any parts on the car outside of touching the outside of the throttle body to point saying this is what the part is we would have to look at. While we were researching cost and how to change the actual part out, i did the key trick to locate a trouble code as that would tell whoever I took this to what was wrong. No trouble codes popped up being stored in the computer. I did it twice thinking it was a fluke.

We have driven the car since Friday, and have had no issues. Outside of work i don't really drive the car much, though I have been lending it to family to drive about 25-30 miles over the weekend so id say about 350 miles a week. I stay up on oil changes, normal maintenance, haven't tinkered with the battery or any parts though did have to change both headlights within the last month, month and a half, and we had to move the fuse box out of the way to try to make room.

As there are no trouble codes its impossible to determine the exact issue, my questions are is me using the electronics a lot without the car actually running a possible culprit in this, and also if anyone has ever experienced the same issues where the car throws a trouble light and causes issues, but doesnt actually give a trouble code as if something was actually going out?

Thanks

As there are no trouble codes its impossible to determine the exact issue, my questions are is me using the electronics a lot without the car actually running a possible culprit in this, and also if anyone has ever experienced the same issues where the car throws a trouble light and causes issues, but doesnt actually give a trouble code as if something was actually going out?
    Right now, use your vehicle normally. There is nothing you can do at this point until the condition presents itself all the time, or throws a code in the system.
    Using the battery to power accessories doesn't matter. Unless that one time you depleted enough power from the battery that it wasn't fully charged when you started driving that day. However the alternator, after a sufficient amount of time running, should have brought the battery back to a full charge,
    Run it. Can't fix what isn't happening.

Thanks

Years ago my 2006 Chrysler 300C Hemi (I miss that car) after I cleaned the throttle body improperly. Same exact symptoms, except there is a "key dance" you can do on those, and I did get trouble codes without having to plug in an OBD2 diagnostic scanner that you can have a local auto parts store do for free. It didn't do it all the time at first - same as with you.

A used throttle body is inexpensive and easy to replace if you can turn ~6 screws and un-plug and plug back in an electrical connector, but to some people working on a vehicle is intimidating and I absolutely understand it because you can do damage if you are not careful and know exactly what you are doing - ex. improperly clean a drive-by-wire TB.

How many miles does the vehicle have on it? TB could be dirty or defective.

How long have you owned it?

I agree just drive it until it happens again. Maybe get a cheap code scanner and keep it in the car so when it does it again, you can pull the code.
    "Black Knight" was my father's trucker CB handle.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD
    Factory tuned, RPM Torque Tube

2013 Chrysler 200 Limited V6
    Lease returned 1/28/17

Thanks

I just got the light and check engine light my code P2135 at Advance Auto
    looks for some ideas where to start?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RTWaldo View Post
    I just got the light and check engine light my code P2135 at Advance Auto
    looks for some ideas where to start?
    Start by allowing a certified mechanic, with Chrysler experience, check your vehicle.
    The TPS ( throttle position sensor ) or related wiring could be causing the problem, so unless your familiar with the electronics on your vehicle, allow an experienced person to check it out. Just because the code says TPS, that doesn't mean that part is the problem.
    Also, a 2016 vehicle might still be under the factory 3/36 basic warranty.
    Certain states have different emission warranties that may help if the ECM is at fault.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)