Headlamps Indicator Flashes 6 Times
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Headlamps Indicator Flashes 6 Times

Thanks

Default Headlamps Indicator Flashes 6 Times

I have a 2011 200 S. Recently some electrical issues are coming up. I have lost the radio function (like antenna no longer attached) and the hard top stops with trunk open but doesn't complete the cycle to drop the top. However, the issue that might have come up at that same time is, every time the headlights are activated (both automatically and using the multi-function), the exterior lights do not activate. The headlamp indicator in the instrument cluster flashes exactly 6 times each time I try to activate the lights. I noticed that while the indicator light is flashing 6 times, the rest of the interior backlights (behind the climate controls, transmission indicators etc) flash opposite and also for 6 cycles. This is a serious matter as I can't drive the car at night nor in rain as they outside marker lights won't come on.

All exterior lights, however, are functional in some respect. For example, if I press the remote start, the outside lights will flash as normal. All of the turn signals work, as do the hazards. The brake lights are also functional and both the headlights and the fog/driving lights, activate as normal. It is just the marker lights and interior back illumination that doesn't work.

I am assuming that the flashing exactly 6 times is some sort of code but I can't find a single piece of information about it.

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

No ideas. I haven't heard that particular light flashing sequence either.
    Keep us informed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fltru103 For This Useful Post:

RickR (05-30-2019)

Thanks

The headlights are pretty complicated. Several computer modules are involved. Sometimes these modules store trouble codes that can be read by the dealer diagnostic software or by aftermarket diagnostic software. Here is a link to aftermarket software that is inexpensive.

https://appcar-diagfca.com/en/

And here is a copy/paste from the service manual that describes headlight operation. Like I said, it's pretty complicated.

HEADLAMPS
    The headlamp system includes the SCM, the EMIC, the TIPM, and the left (lighting) multi-function switch on the steering column. The headlamp bulbs have a path to ground at all times through their connection to the engine compartment wire harness. The engine compartment harness has takeouts with eyelet terminals that are secured to the front end sheet metal within the engine compartment. The TIPM will store a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) for any shorts or opens in the headlamp circuits.
    The SCM monitors a hard wired multiplex input to determine the status of the left multi-function switch and whether the headlamp high or low beams are selected. The SCM then sends the appropriate electronic headlamp switch and headlamp beam select switch status messages to the EMIC over the LIN data bus. The EMIC then sends the appropriate electronic headlamp and headlamp beam request messages to the TIPM over the CAN data bus. On Chrysler models, the TIPM responds to these messages by providing a pulse width modulated voltage output to the headlamp bulbs through high side drivers on the right and left low beam feed circuits to illuminate the headlamps, and controls the high and low beam shutter operation through high side drivers on the right and left high beam feed circuits. On Dodge models, the TIPM responds to these messages by providing a pulse width modulated voltage output to the headlamps through high side drivers on the right and left low and high beam feed circuits to illuminate the selected headlamp filaments. The TIPM also sends the appropriate electronic messages to the EMIC to control the illumination of the high beam indicator. When the optical horn feature is selected, the low beams will shut OFF about 200 milliseconds after the high beams are activated.
    The TIPM also remembers which beams (LOW or HIGH) were selected when the headlamps were last turned OFF, and energizes those beams again the next time the headlamps are turned ON. The TIPM provides a battery saver (load shedding) feature for the headlamps, which will turn these lamps OFF if they are left ON for more than about eight minutes with the ignition switch in the LOCK position. The SCM and the EMIC each provide a fail-safe feature for the headlamps, which will cause the TIPM to turn the low beam headlamps ON automatically if there is no input available from the left multi-function switch. The TIPM also provides a fail-safe feature for the headlamps that will turn the headlamps ON automatically whenever a loss of CAN bus communication is detected with the ignition switch in the ON position.
    Each headlamp includes an integral adjustment screw (domestic markets) to be used for static aiming of the headlamps

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dale_K For This Useful Post:

RickR (05-30-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

The strange thing about this issue is all the lights appear to be able to illuminate as they do (but momentarily). It's not a headlight issue, per se. Nor is it common light issue as brake, turn signal and emergency flashers work as normal. This is JUST the marker lights that would normally come on with the headlights plus the instrument panel back lights. The main instrument cluster illuminates per normal. The problem, of course, is there is no external lights on the car during normal driving at night. Only the headlights and fog lamps are active until brakes or turn signals are engaged.

My initial thought is there is something shorted and, since the antenna input and hard top are not functioning, it is likely somewhere in the wire harness around the hard top hinges or, more specifically, the hinges for the trunk deck that cycles open before bringing the hard top down into the truck cavity.

Frustrating issue.

Thanks

There is another forum specifically for Chrysler convertibles and broken wires in the trunk of the 3rd generation convertible is pretty common. Here is a thread about it.

https://sebringclub.net/2012-200-sof...so-t35340.html

I don't know if you've already visited there but you might try posting about your lighting problem. I remember some threads about dash lighting.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)