Subwoofers in a 2015 Chrysler 200 Limited
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Subwoofers in a 2015 Chrysler 200 Limited

Thanks

Default Subwoofers in a 2015 Chrysler 200 Limited

New to the forums... I bought a 2015 Chrysler 200 limited a month ago and I would like to add a subwoofer/amp in the trunk, with the stock stereo (8.4 uconnect touchscreen)

Anyone have a DIY for adding a subwoofer/wiring?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

buy a lc2i line out converter. tap into the rear speakers. quick and easy. that what I did in mine

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ctsounds200 For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (12-20-2017)

Thanks

Look up how to use/install a line output converter. PAC makes good ones. Run power/ground and the necessary wiring from your LOC to your amp and you're good to go.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bake For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (12-26-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

What size is the hole for the factory free air sub-woofer? 8" 10" ?
    "Black Knight" was my father's trucker CB handle.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD
    Factory tuned, RPM Torque Tube

2013 Chrysler 200 Limited V6
    Lease returned 1/28/17

Thanks

It is 8" for the factory. I cut mine out and used the OEM wire to comnect to a LOC and then to my amp and subs. I still have to remove the 8" sub one of these days and put it up for sale if its even worth anything anymore.

I find the 8" air sub sounded funny. It sounded like rubber flapping in the trunk. With my new subs in a proper box, I can feel the vibrations with the amp gain turned very low. If I ever want my trunk to explode, Ill just max the gain and bass boost.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LoLxMatt For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (12-27-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LoLxMatt View Post
    If I ever want my trunk to explode, Ill just max the gain and bass boost.
    no offense but that is a horrible philosophy... Car Audio systems sound best when properly tuned. When the amp gains are maxed out there will be a ton of distortion and you run the risk of clipping/blowing your whole system.

If you need more bass just upgrade your speakers and/or amp, but do it the right way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LoLxMatt View Post

I find the 8" air sub sounded funny. It sounded like rubber flapping in the trunk. With my new subs in a proper box, I can feel the vibrations with the amp gain turned very low. If I ever want my trunk to explode, Ill just max the gain and bass boost.
    I was hoping you woudln't say that. I have had a sub in a box with an amp and capacitor etc.. when I was younger, but I want to keep my trunk space. Maybe I'll upgrade all my speakers and then add the free air sub - i'd at least like it to sound like my wife's old 13' Limited with the Boston stereo. Not looking to shatter the back window or anything... lol

Subwoofers in a 2015 Chrysler 200 Limited-basswars.png
    Last edited by Black Knight; 12-27-2017 at 11:34 AM.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD

Lease returned 1/28/17

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I was hoping you woudln't say that. I have had a sub in a box with an amp and capacitor etc.. when I was younger, but I want to keep my trunk space. Maybe I swap all my speakers - i'd at least like it to sound like my wife's old 13' Limited with the Boston stereo.
    I have the Alpine system with 8" sub and it sounds just fine for stock (and I'm a car audio fanatic). There's some minimal rattling from the rear deck lid but nothing that a little sound deadening can't take care of. I experience no "rubber flapping" noise. You could also look into the option of replacing the 8" re-air sub. I'm sure there are a few options out there.

If you absolutely have to add a sub to get the sound you want, look into something shallow mount that requires minimal box size. Kenwood makes a decent, cheap model that is great for just a little extra bass. Alpine and JL also make nice setups. Their 8" subs require fairly small boxes as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bake View Post
    I have the Alpine system with 8" sub and it sounds just fine for stock (and I'm a car audio fanatic). There's some minimal rattling from the rear deck lid but nothing that a little sound deadening can't take care of. I experience no "rubber flapping" noise. You could also look into the option of replacing the 8" re-air sub. I'm sure there are a few options out there.

If you absolutely have to add a sub to get the sound you want, look into something shallow mount that requires minimal box size. Kenwood makes a decent, cheap model that is great for just a little extra bass. Alpine and JL also make nice setups. Their 8" subs require fairly small boxes as well.
    I've heard the Alpine stereo in the 15'-17' 200 and i don't like the sound as much as the Boston in the older 200's and 300's. I don't have even the Alpine so I don't have the factory sub, I am looking to add one.

Thanks for the advise.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD

Lease returned 1/28/17

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bake View Post
    no offense but that is a horrible philosophy... Car Audio systems sound best when properly tuned. When the amp gains are maxed out there will be a ton of distortion and you run the risk of clipping/blowing your whole system.

If you need more bass just upgrade your speakers and/or amp, but do it the right way.
    Sorry. I shouldn't have put that. I was being sarcastic I forget things get lost in translation sometimes. Hopefully no one takes that seriously. But yah, I got 1000W RMS alpine amp running two low quality pioneer subs in a cheap vented bassworx box I bought off kijiji for 20 bucks so if anything the subs will probably go through some catastrophic failure first.

I can't agree about the OEM sub though but that is a personal preference so it will be different for everyone. I use to have the OEM sub at max and it still didn't feel strong enough. Instead, it did distort for certain tracks so I had to put the bass level at half way and that became exceptionally underwhelming in terms of what I want for bass. Now with my own system, I can have the bass at neutral and hear the levels of bass without it being distorted. It feels nice to have my scalp tickled when the bass hits.

But of course, I am in my twenties. I think my preferences may change in the future when both my eardrums are blown. Then I will need enough bass to displace my organs so that I can at least feel the bass.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)