"Whining" sound from the front when stopping the car
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "Whining" sound from the front when stopping the car

Thanks

Default "Whining" sound from the front when stopping the car

Hey guys,

Just want to check with you before I ask the dealer but here's the issue. I noticed, a few weeks ago, that when I stop my car, if I get out of it and stand in front of the car, there's a small "whining" or "buzzing" sound coming from Under the Hood. It lasts a few minutes then stops.

Last night, I had time to troubleshoot so I went for a quick ride then came back to my garage, stopped the car and popped the Hood to listen. It is very hard to tell where it comes from, if I listen from the right of the engine (V6), it sounds like it is the car's computer that whines, but if I listen from the left side of the engine, it seems to come from that side. Anyway, it is very easy to hear, it is not a loud sound but if you are standing close to the car, you can hear it.

The car is performing well, no error messages but I'm not sure that this sound is not normal.

Any input appreciated.
    Last edited by Fernboy61; 02-24-2015 at 01:07 PM.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec SH-AWD Elite V6
    Black (built 05/17) service 04/18
    Interior: Leather/Suede Ebony Acantra
    19 inches Black rims
    Acura Link w/Nav
    K&N drop in air filter

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Sorry nothing helpful besides that mine does the same thing. I thought it was my garage light at first since it was a fairly faint electrical type sound. I haven't decided what to do yet as I am becoming frustrated with the people that sold me this car and promises they made in writing that they are not fulfilling. I just bought the car and I was hoping it had something to do with the unusual weather here, lots of ice on the bottom of my car etc...
    Last edited by Black Knight; 02-24-2015 at 01:20 PM.
    "Black Knight" was my father's trucker CB handle.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD
    Factory tuned, RPM Torque Tube

2013 Chrysler 200 Limited V6
    Lease returned 1/28/17

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fernboy61 View Post
    Hey guys,

Just want to check with you before I ask the dealer but here's the issue. I noticed, a few weeks ago, that when I stop my car, if I get out of it and stand in front of the car, there's a small "whining" or "buzzing" sound coming from Under the Hood. It lasts a few minutes then stops.

Last night, I had time to troubleshoot so I went for a quick ride then came back to my garage, stopped the car and popped the Hood to listen. It is very hard to tell where it comes from, if I listen from the right of the engine (V6), it sounds like it is the car's computer that whines, but if I listen from the left side of the engine, it seems to come from that side. Anyway, it is very easy to hear, it is not a loud sound but if you are standing close to the car, you can hear it.

The car is performing well, no error messages but I'm not sure that this sound is not normal.

Any input appreciated.
    This thread seemed to ask the same question.

https://www.200forums.com/forum/58-20...ght-noise.html

5. The Following User Says Thank You to fltru103 For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (02-24-2015)

6. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

I did not get the premium lighting package so no HID... I didn't notice if the lights were still on when I heard the noise. I'll check it out when I get my car back from the tint shop.
    "Black Knight" was my father's trucker CB handle.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD
    Factory tuned, RPM Torque Tube

2013 Chrysler 200 Limited V6
    Lease returned 1/28/17

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fltru103 View Post
    This thread seemed to ask the same question.

https://www.200forums.com/forum/58-20...ght-noise.html
    As the guy who posted that thread, I still have no idea. The noise is super loud sometimes, quiet others... seems to change pitch and happens whether the headlights are on or off. The HID's have their own sound, as well... no where near as loud as this noise.

The guy at the local dealer said it was the computer, but in my experience this noise is closer to electrical arcing and that sound coming from anything electronic is NEVER good. I have extremely sensitive hearing, so I thought maybe it was just me... but I'm seeing more and more people commenting on it. Hopefully OP can figure something out. I'll bring it up at my 3000 mile service in a few weeks, but it sounds like the local guys are just going to brush it off.

Thanks

I too get this when it's cold out. I might be wrong, but I'm thinking it has something to do with our key in proximity of the car. Because when I walk a certain distance away from the car, the whine stops. But had I stayed near the car while it whines, the whine stays.

Plus, I don't have the HID lights.
    2015 Chrysler 200C v6 FWD
    Moonroof, 19" wheels
    Chrysler bike hitch receiver

10. The Following User Says Thank You to travman For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (02-24-2015)

Thanks

I just called my dealer and found....they have no idea what it could be and don't want to speculate over the phone on whether or not it's a normal issue. So I'm taking my car in on Saturday to hopefully show them what it does. We'll see if the car actually performs or not.
    2015 Chrysler 200C v6 FWD
    Moonroof, 19" wheels
    Chrysler bike hitch receiver

Thanks

could it possibly be the inverter that powers the AC outlet in the center console?
    Controls Engineer
    Pentastar Machining/Assembly
    Trenton Engine Complex
    ***___***___***___***___***___*** F I O N A ***___***___***___***___***___***
    2015 Chrsyler 200C AWD
    - Bright White
    - 18" Chrome Wheels w/ All Season Tires
    - Navigation & Sound Group
    - UConnect 8.4N
    - Premium Group
    - Premium Lighting Group

Thanks

Hey Fern, its coming out of the back of the 8.4 screen, I know because I just had mine out. Don't believe me pull the bezel off its just clips, 4 phillips screws around he screen and its out, the thing sings like a canary. I think its the Bluetooth module that stays on that makes that high pitch electronic whistle. Or it could be the flux capacitor.
    2015 200 S V6 FWD
    Leather
    Dual Moon roof
    8.4 NAVI
    19"wheels
    mother in law ejection seat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
    Hey Fern, its coming out of the back of the 8.4 screen, I know because I just had mine out. Don't believe me pull the bezel off its just clips, 4 phillips screws around he screen and its out, the thing sings like a canary. I think its the Bluetooth module that stays on that makes that high pitch electronic whistle. Or it could be the flux capacitor.
    Rizzo, it is not coming from Inside the car, you can't hear anything from Inside, I notices it when I park the car and circle around it. It is from the front, Under the Hood, close to the lights and/or computer.

Just to specify to the other posters, I don't have the premium package lighting but the lights discharging or whatever could make sense. It doesn't do it every single time (didn't do it today) but it does it quite often.

One other thing, my headlights and fog lights are always set to AUTO and it does it whether the lights are on or off.

I have an appointment at the dealership for the first oïl change next Tuesday so I will definitely talk to them about it.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec SH-AWD Elite V6
    Black (built 05/17) service 04/18
    Interior: Leather/Suede Ebony Acantra
    19 inches Black rims
    Acura Link w/Nav
    K&N drop in air filter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)