Chrysler 200C Panoramic sunroof exploded - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Chrysler 200C Panoramic sunroof exploded

Thanks

It was -42c here last week and we had a very cold winter last year and mine is holding up good so far. Of course I never open it in the winter. This doesn't look like a "stress" fractured, it sure looks like a flying rock to me.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec SH-AWD Elite V6
    Black (built 05/17) service 04/18
    Interior: Leather/Suede Ebony Acantra
    19 inches Black rims
    Acura Link w/Nav
    K&N drop in air filter

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

I used to work in the automotive glass business for a number of years. It was not uncommon to have a car come in from time to time where the back/rear ( tempered ) window had in the words of the customer, 'just shattered' Sometimes this happened because of temp changes or something along those lines. Sometimes it was because of being hit by external forces. Generally when it just shattered on its own you had a fairly even pattern to the damage all over the window. When the glass was struck by a foreign object it gave you a 'sunray' or spiderweb like pattern emanating from the impact site. On the above photo supplied by ve2jvb its hard to tell because of the dark color of the glass and also it had disintegrated which does not mean it was hit by something, it could just mean it dropped because of the weight of the weakened glass itself. Anyway, bottom line is, for whatever the cause glass breakage is covered by your insurance.
    Last edited by shamrock249; 02-21-2016 at 02:54 PM.
    2015 Chrysler 200 Ltd - Built 03/15 - Vivid Blue
    Gold plan 419 ext warranty
    3.6L
    8.4A System with Nav
    Comfort Group
    Optional 18" Satin Silver Rims with 235/45/18 Tires
    Hidden Content
    Winter Rims; Hidden Content with Hidden Content . 225/50/18
    35% Tint
    Yellow gas cap
    Added Cargo Net & Hidden Content
    Replaced the Brake Lights With Hidden Content

Thanks

Thx for all yours replied.. i received my car last monday. Chrysler Dealer collision center changed all front and back panel and also interior electric sun screen for the sunroof, repaint roof and tailgate. I,m not happy with the paint job they did, many pinholes, and white line near the sunroof paint is missing. My sunroof are now doing a wind noise in between front and back. They are going to redo the job, but i don t think they could do better than the first time.. Cost of repair are now 4,000$ Cdn.. ouchh.. !!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Just the other night while driving my 2015 Chrysler 200s with no cars or trees around we heard a loud noise like a shotgun went off beside me. It hurt my ears it was so loud. Pulled over to check the car out and noticed the front part of my sunroof was busted. It just exploded for no reason. The Chrysler headquarters will not pay to fix it. You can see that it exploded from inside out. What's left is pushed outward. They need to do a recall on them. I don't have the money to get it fixed and shouldn't have to neither. We had a 2 year old in the car as well. This isn't safe. The service manager took a pic with her cellphone and sent to her guy in another state to say if the headquarters will pay and they said no. They need to see it in person.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgerskevin View Post
    Just the other night while driving my 2015 Chrysler 200s with no cars or trees around we heard a loud noise like a shotgun went off beside me. It hurt my ears it was so loud. Pulled over to check the car out and noticed the front part of my sunroof was busted. It just exploded for no reason. The Chrysler headquarters will not pay to fix it. You can see that it exploded from inside out. What's left is pushed outward. They need to do a recall on them. I don't have the money to get it fixed and shouldn't have to neither. We had a 2 year old in the car as well. This isn't safe. The service manager took a pic with her cellphone and sent to her guy in another state to say if the headquarters will pay and they said no. They need to see it in person.
    First, welcome to the forum Rodgerskevin.

This thread you replied on is 3 years old.
    The problem of a breaking sunroof glass is not common, so a recall isn't likely.
    You can file a report with the NHTSA here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Thanks

Please take the time to read though this thread.
    I am posting this for informational purposes only.
    Chrysler is far from the only manufacturer with sunroof glass breaking. It's an industry wide problem.

But the truth is, it shouldn’t be so hard to believe. Because it’s happening all over the country. Schmaltz said, admittedly, it’s probably not something people research when buying a new car."Who Googles 'sunroofs exploding?'" Schmaltz asked.
    But you can read about it for hours online.
    The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration has issued no mandatory recalls.
    Consumer Reports says there have been close to a thousand complaints, on hundreds of models from dozens of automakers. Schmaltz was driving a brand new Audi.
    The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says the Scion tC, Hyundai Veloster, Kia Sorento, Nissan Murano and Kia Optima received the most reports of exploding sunroofs.
    https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/lo...4-96f781ad5466

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)