Chrysler 200C Panoramic sunroof exploded
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chrysler 200C Panoramic sunroof exploded

Thanks

Default Chrysler 200C Panoramic sunroof exploded

My Panoramic sunroof front part blew off on the highway during a very cold winter day (-25c). After looking on web a saw many complaints about same thing occurring with different brand of new vehicle since 2010 and higher, because glass are designed lighter and thiner. I found maybe a lot of explanation but even there is really hard to proof to dealer what occurred, Could be a flying rock or a bad batch of glasses. Hopefully no one has been injured and not one child was behind the rear seat. So let me know if same thing occurred to one of you, for now assurance are going to pay my dommage sunroof and minor painting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

now this is going to be a dumb question due to you saying -25 degrees..the glass portion blew out with it closed, tilted or wide open? also what year is your 200 and wouldnt it be under factory warr.?
    Last edited by deptchief; 02-17-2016 at 07:58 AM.

Thanks

My car is a 2015, with only 25,000km, sunroof was closed of course at this temperature, maybe a smoking person could open the sunroof.. but this is not my case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chrysler 200C Panoramic sunroof exploded-img_0164.jpg  

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

You're the 2nd 200 owner I've heard that had the sunroof implode like this. Not really sure how big of a problem it is with Chrysler, but have read that Audi and Hyundai have large problems with these roofs. I wonder if it has something more to do with the colder climate you are in.

I am surprised to hear that warranty is not covering this. That is a concern.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by travman View Post

I am surprised to hear that warranty is not covering this. That is a concern.
    Broken glass, with few exceptions, are never covered.
    Front windshields that have line cracks from stress points usually are covered.
    Only because you can see where the damage originated.
    In the OP's instance, how do you determine what caused that damage ?
    Especially considering the car may be well over a year old, with over 15000 miles.

Thanks

36 months bumper to bumper should cover you...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fltru103 View Post
    Broken glass, with few exceptions, are never covered.
    Front windshields that have line cracks from stress points usually are covered.
    Only because you can see where the damage originated.
    In the OP's instance, how do you determine what caused that damage ?
    Especially considering the car may be well over a year old, with over 15000 miles.
    True, in the OP's case, we don't know what really caused the fracture. Nor do I know what caused it with the other poster I used to talk to on MotorTrends forum when they had one. The nice thing to know for me at least, is this is a very limited issue unlike what Audi and Hyundai is going through which it's my understanding is being covered under warranty. If the dealer is not replacing it and insurance is covering it, I'm assuming something had hit it. Looking over the warranty information, Chrysler should have replaced it otherwise:

3.2 Environmental Factors Not CoveredYour warranties don’t cover damage caused by environmentalfactors such as airborne fallout, bird droppings,insect damage, chemicals, tree sap, salt, ocean spray,acid rain, and road hazards. Nor do your warrantiescover damage caused by hailstorms, windstorms, tornadoes,sandstorms, lightning, floods, and earthquakes.Your warranties do not cover conditions resultingfrom anything impacting the vehicle. This includescracks and chips in glass, scratches and chips in paintedsurfaces, or damage from collision.

Thanks

From my understanding - and I could be mistaken - the dealers have a big say for warranty work, so if one dealer denies you try another but maybe don't mention the previous denial.
    "Black Knight" was my father's trucker CB handle.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD
    Factory tuned, RPM Torque Tube

2013 Chrysler 200 Limited V6
    Lease returned 1/28/17

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deptchief View Post
    36 months bumper to bumper should cover you...
    ahh ... No !
    See post #7 and read next to the last sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    From my understanding - and I could be mistaken - the dealers have a big say for warranty work, so if one dealer denies you try another but maybe don't mention the previous denial.
    ahh ... Yes !

12. The Following User Says Thank You to fltru103 For This Useful Post:

donatom3 (03-06-2016)

Thanks

Yes dealers have what they call "good will" on glass. I see it every month from across the country. I supply oem glass to a manufacture. I get the reports and can tell what was damaged and a very rare defect. Can't really tell by the picture but bet it was an impact. Looks like the full edge is intact, but the hole originated in the center, extremely rare a defect would originate there.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cms75us For This Useful Post:

fltru103 (02-19-2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)