Upgrade the 2016 LX 3.0 radio to 5.0 radio
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upgrade the 2016 LX 3.0 radio to 5.0 radio

Thanks

Default Upgrade the 2016 LX 3.0 radio to 5.0 radio

I just purchased a 2016 LX 200 from a Chrysler dealer an being stupid I assumed that the car would come with Bluetooth installed. I know if I build to order on line. I could order it with a 5.0 Radio and all the 2017 base models come with it. Does anyone know if I can upgrade the 3.0 to a 5.0. The parts manager said it cannot be done. I am in Canada. If any ideas it would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

yes, but why do it? You should have got what you wanted. Canada cars are different than usa. I have someone that maybe able to help...
    Thank you everyone

Streeking Streetking A.K.A The King!

Thanks

Yes, you can do this.

Personally, I would suggest upgrading to uConnect 8.4 if you're going to the effort. Even if just for Bluetooth, you get better Bluetooth performance with uConnect 8.4. Siri Eyes-free, for example, was added only to 8.4 via a software update. It will also greatly help with resale value.

Personally I am waiting for the 2018 MY uConnect 8.4 units to do the upgrade (I have 5.0 right now). The reason being that 2018 MY uConnect units will add Android Auto and CarPlay. The Jeep Cherokee head unit should work with our 200's - as the 200 will likely be out of production by then.

But yes, you can go from 3.0 to 5.0, and it's a bargain to do so with all the 5.0 units out there. Just don't forget to upgrade the firmware on that 5.0 once it's installed and dealer unlocked!
    2015 200S V6 FWD - Mopar Lifetime Maximum Care Warranty

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pentastar For This Useful Post:

chesterwilson (01-08-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

I agree with Pentastar, I'd upgrade to 8.4 or I wouldn't bother at all...
    Chryssy Chrysler
    2015 200 S (Mfg. Feb. 2015) Purchased May 11 2015, odometer 16 mi.
    Pentastar 3.6L VVT w/Yellow E-85 Gas Cap
    Phantom Black Tri-Coat Pearl (PXT)
    Premium Nav. & Sound Groups w/8.4" UConnect Display
    Comfort Group w/Ambassador Blue Leather Seats & Black Trim
    Premium Light Group
    19" Hyper Black Wheels
    Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof

Thanks

And I disagree. If you look around you will see I have posts for the same upgrade.

While it might be interesting to get the 8.4, it really isn't necessary, and by the cost of getting nav updates, if any are available, make it not so needed.

Personally, I just want the hands free. Upgrading to the full 8.4 is a lot of work and a lot of expense. Frankly, if I could have afforded to buy a loaded 200, I would have, but I had to take what I could get, and I don't have any spare money around to spend on the stereo system.

I did not realize that the 3.0 did not include hands free. Never thought to check on the test drive.

The rest of the 3.0 works fine. I may hook up one of sub boxes, just because, but other than that, the only other issue I have is poor radio reception, and I listen to more radio than anything.

I was kind of hoping someone, who had taken out their 'junk' 5.0 would be willing to send it my way so that I could see whether or not the swap was viable or not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazcnuk View Post
    And I disagree. If you look around you will see I have posts for the same upgrade.

While it might be interesting to get the 8.4, it really isn't necessary, and by the cost of getting nav updates, if any are available, make it not so needed.

Personally, I just want the hands free. Upgrading to the full 8.4 is a lot of work and a lot of expense. Frankly, if I could have afforded to buy a loaded 200, I would have, but I had to take what I could get, and I don't have any spare money around to spend on the stereo system.

I did not realize that the 3.0 did not include hands free. Never thought to check on the test drive.

The rest of the 3.0 works fine. I may hook up one of sub boxes, just because, but other than that, the only other issue I have is poor radio reception, and I listen to more radio than anything.

I was kind of hoping someone, who had taken out their 'junk' 5.0 would be willing to send it my way so that I could see whether or not the swap was viable or not.
    Crazcnuk, I highly respect your opinion and you make some good points, but nobody said it was "necessary". Heck, nothing but getting from point A to point B is "necessary". To be honest, I haven't done it because I have an 8.4, but I can tell you that quite a few guys in our Facebook group at New Age 200 LMT/S/C https://www.facebook.com/groups/406256856241012/ didn't buy brand new stuff, but they DID make the upgrade very reasonably (less than $200 I believe) and without a lot of difficulty! So my point is, before I'd go spending any money and time going to a 5.0, it's worth also comparing that to the cost of going with the 8.4. I think you just might be surprised!

I'll tell ya what though, let me see if I can run one of these guys down and get better info and if nothing else, if you really just want a 5.0, maybe one of them took one out and will let it go very reasonably!
    Chryssy Chrysler
    2015 200 S (Mfg. Feb. 2015) Purchased May 11 2015, odometer 16 mi.
    Pentastar 3.6L VVT w/Yellow E-85 Gas Cap
    Phantom Black Tri-Coat Pearl (PXT)
    Premium Nav. & Sound Groups w/8.4" UConnect Display
    Comfort Group w/Ambassador Blue Leather Seats & Black Trim
    Premium Light Group
    19" Hyper Black Wheels
    Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof

Thanks

"Crazcnuk, I highly respect your opinion and you make some good points, but nobody said it was "necessary". Heck, nothing but getting from point A to point B is "necessary". To be honest, I haven't done it because I have an 8.4, but I can tell you that quite a few guys in our Facebook group at New Age 200 LMT/S/C https://www.facebook.com/groups/406256856241012/ didn't buy brand new stuff, but they DID make the upgrade very reasonably (less than $200 I believe) and without a lot of difficulty! So my point is, before I'd go spending any money and time going to a 5.0, it's worth also comparing that to the cost of going with the 8.4. I think you just might be surprised!"

I agree, if you can find all the components, at under $200 it would be a good deal. But so far I can't even find the 5.0, at all, let alone for a decent price. As I said, I was hoping to find a tossed aside 5.0 for nothing but shipping, if possible.

I did find one, on Kijiji, but it had sold already, for $80 with sat module.

However, at the moment, I am having trouble meeting my other payments, so upgrades are on hold.

Thanks

If you upgrade yours, would you be able to send me your bezel from the 3.0 radio? I'm about to install a double din and the 3.0 is the only bezel that has a dash kit that fits lol. And yes, I know the challenges from aftermarket radios but I have that figured out.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)