Anyone find out where the rear thump noise comes from
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone find out where the rear thump noise comes from

Thanks

Default Anyone find out where the rear thump noise comes from

My 2016 200s has a thump noise coming out of rear passenger side when going over bumps. Has anyonr determined what typically causes this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

There are several threads concerning a noise in the rear area. Search the threads and you'll find a few different ideas. Best to have a experienced mechanic inspect the undercarriage and suspension.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lundan View Post
    My 2016 200s has a thump noise coming out of rear passenger side when going over bumps. Has anyonr determined what typically causes this?
    How frequently does it thump? Every bump? More in cold weather?

In my case the dealer had to replace every component in each shock absorber assembly (shock, mount, splash shield/bumper) before the noise was cured for a couple years. Then last winter it came back intermittently, most frequently when carrying rear seat passengers and with colder temperatures. When I took it in to the dealer they could not duplicate the noise, which was extremely frustrating. I even went back in with my wife and rode with techs/advisors in the rear seat and it still wouldn't do it over bumps where I previously had the issue. A notable difference was that car had been kept in the warm shop overnight, and the weather was warmer than it had been on the day we attempted to diagnose it.

After wasting a whole lot of time with no result, and a lot of frustration, I resolved to let it go until it became a constant issue that they couldn't fail to recreate. Unfortunately, it still hasn't a year later, though the intermittent symptoms did recur again when it was colder, and most frequently with rear seat passengers.

My primary theory is that the splash shield and bumper, which ride on the shock shaft above the shock and below the shock mount, can get stuck on the shaft in a relatively low position due to inadequate lubrication particularly when combined with moisture in freezing conditions. This wouldn't cause any noise until the shock compresses more forcefully than usual, such as when dropping into a pothole and/or under heavier than normal load. In that situation, I suspect the bumper, instead of riding smoothly up the shock shaft as it's supposed to, sticks momentarily before releasing with extra force causing it to shoot up and collide with the shock mount making the thump. So, before next winter I plan to see if I can clean and lubricate the shaft and make sure that the bumper slides smoothly. FCA specifies that it should be lubricated with Mopar zipper lube, which I believe is a silicone based grease.

If that is not the cause, then all I can guess is that the valving inside the shock might stick occasionally, particularly when cold. But since the first time my dealer fixed the issue they replaced the shocks and did not eliminate the noise and it only went away after they replaced the dust shields/bumpers, and also because it occurs on both sides with my car, I like my first theory of inadequate lubrication of the bumpers better.

The particularly frustrating thing is that it's tough to get dealers to experiment and troubleshoot for you unless they first duplicate the issue. So I'd suggest if you take it in, you find a place nearby the dealer where you can consistently get the noise to occur and you are certain you can demonstrate the problem.
    200C AWD
    Granite Crystal / Linen
    Safety Tec, Premium, Navigation & Sound
    Premium Lighting
    Replaced OE HID bulbs with Morimoto 5,500K
    18"
    OE Bridgestone Ecopias Replaced w/ Yokohama YK580s
    Mopar All-Weather Mats, Cargo Net, Cargo Area Tray
    Reverse, Interior, Trunk and License Plate
    LED Conversion
    3M
    Color Stable Glass Tint - Visor 35%, Side & Rear 50%
    K&N Drop-in Air Filter, RPM Motorsports Torque Tube
    MGP Black Caliper Covers, TitaniumTim 200C Coasters

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pennhaven For This Useful Post:

fltru103 (04-26-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pennhaven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundan View Post
    How frequently does it thump? Every bump? More in cold weather?

In my case the dealer had to replace every component in each shock absorber assembly (shock, mount, splash shield/bumper) before the noise was cured for a couple years. Then last winter it came back intermittently, most frequently when carrying rear seat passengers and with colder temperatures. When I took it in to the dealer they could not duplicate the noise, which was extremely frustrating. I even went back in with my wife and rode with techs/advisors in the rear seat and it still wouldn't do it over bumps where I previously had the issue. A notable difference was that car had been kept in the warm shop overnight, and the weather was warmer than it had been on the day we attempted to diagnose it.

After wasting a whole lot of time with no result, and a lot of frustration, I resolved to let it go until it became a constant issue that they couldn't fail to recreate. Unfortunately, it still hasn't a year later, though the intermittent symptoms did recur again when it was colder, and most frequently with rear seat passengers.

My primary theory is that the splash shield and bumper, which ride on the shock shaft above the shock and below the shock mount, can get stuck on the shaft in a relatively low position due to inadequate lubrication particularly when combined with moisture in freezing conditions. This wouldn't cause any noise until the shock compresses more forcefully than usual, such as when dropping into a pothole and/or under heavier than normal load. In that situation, I suspect the bumper, instead of riding smoothly up the shock shaft as it's supposed to, sticks momentarily before releasing with extra force causing it to shoot up and collide with the shock mount making the thump. So, before next winter I plan to see if I can clean and lubricate the shaft and make sure that the bumper slides smoothly. FCA specifies that it should be lubricated with Mopar zipper lube, which I believe is a silicone based grease.

If that is not the cause, then all I can guess is that the valving inside the shock might stick occasionally, particularly when cold. But since the first time my dealer fixed the issue they replaced the shocks and did not eliminate the noise and it only went away after they replaced the dust shields/bumpers, and also because it occurs on both sides with my car, I like my first theory of inadequate lubrication of the bumpers better.

The particularly frustrating thing is that it's tough to get dealers to experiment and troubleshoot for you unless they first duplicate the issue. So I'd suggest if you take it in, you find a place nearby the dealer where you can consistently get the noise to occur and you are certain you can demonstrate the problem.
    My thought was the same since the clunk goes away after it happens. I found my bump stop down once after I heard it. So I believe you’re dead on with your diagnosis.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Smokey0210 For This Useful Post:

Pennhaven (05-04-2019)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)