Differences in S, C, Limited, and Limited Platinum.
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Differences in S, C, Limited, and Limited Platinum.

Thanks

Default Differences in S, C, Limited, and Limited Platinum.

I'm considering purchasing a 2016 or 2017 200 and would like some clarity on the major differences between these models. I know the 200S is the sport version with stiffer dampening in the suspension. But what are the differences between the other trim lines? I have my eye on a 2017 Limited Platinum with low miles but I mostly see just S's and C's in my area. The sticker on the Limited Platinum is lower than the S's and C's too at just $28,900 (options for comfort and convenience group, Blind Spot and Cross path detections, and V6 engine). The S's and C's are all priced over $30 similarly equipped.

I am looking for a trim line that doesn't punish me on long work commutes and but is also nimble enough to "negotiate" around idiot drivers. Are the 19's worth the premium upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Also, is Apple Car Play or Android Auto part of the Uconnect 8.4 in any of the production years? I have a 2017 Ram 2500 which didn't make the cut until 2018.
    Last edited by busterbrown; 05-21-2019 at 06:02 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Hey Buster,

The C is essentially the top trim package level. You get all the bells and whistles, with full leather seats. It has the more comfort-minded suspension setup.

The S is supposed to be like a half step down in that you get cloth seats with leather inserts, but this also gets you the more sporty suspension setup.

They both give you S or sport mode, which changes the the shift patterns to be more aggressive and hold gears/keep rpm up. I am not sure if you get that with the limited, as they have the I-4 as the standard engine. The V6 has plenty of power to negotiate idiots with relative ease, and leave you grinning ear to ear.

I just got a S with the 19s and while you do feel imperfections in the roads more, I don't find it to unbearable (I live in Michigan too, for the record) and I love how planted it feels in the corners at speed. I have about an hour commute of mixed highway/city each way for work.

There is not android auto/apple car play compatibility in the 2016 8.4 Uconnect systems from what I have found. I think the 2017 300's had android auto so it is possible the 200's do or could with some modifications, but I am not sure.

Thanks

I'm leaning towards a "C" as I really want the ride comfort and interior trim (not a fan of the sport interior). My biggest dilemma is whether or not to hold out for an AWD variant or just go with a FWD. Are there differences in handling characteristics between the two? I'm coming out of a 2014 200 Limited and the FWD has been decent in inclement weather in Michigan. There probably is some power loss with the AWD system so that a deciding factor.

The only other option I would like to see in my future 200 are the upgraded HID headlights. Are the stock Projection halogens really that bad?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

I went for the "c" for the reasons u mentioned about the interior trim and ride. I went fwd because I wanted a little more power and less wieght and I have a jeep if the snow gets that bad. AWD def would help w traction and high speed stability...sometimes I think I should've went w AWD but I'm happy. I also considered repair $ for AWD because I plan on having this car 100000 mi +. I have the lighting package and they're great so I'm not sure how bad the halogens are so get one w the the lighting pkg. I didn't like the 2 tone Napa leather w wood grain. I got all black w the granite looking blackish trim. The sport blue trim looked tacky too me...especially w another color other than black.
    2015 200c 3.6 fwd

Magnaflow cat-back exhaust
    K&N C.A.I.
    RPM torque tube
    RPM base stage 93 octane tune
    225/50r17 Hankooks noble s2
    Amsoil 5w20
    Amsoil P.I. before oil changes
    Amsoil dominator coolant boost
    Stant 18 psi coolant cap
    Tree air freshners under seats

Thanks

I also live in Michigan and I think tires will make a much bigger difference in winter handling than AWD. Especially if you get the 19" wheels you should consider running a separate set of winter tires on smaller rims since even tires that are called an all-season tire at that 19" size are more like a summer tires. That said, I'm glad I went for the AWD. While cruising at a steady speed it disconnects the rear wheels so my freeway MPG is still descent for a V6 but the extra traction is there if I need it. It's also fun in "S" mode since it will send more power to the rear. If you can test drive both that would be my suggestion.

As for Carplay or Android Auto unfortunately no versions of the 200 got it and since FCA discontinued the 200 there's no upgrade available that I know of. The 300 does have it but because the head unit wouldn't recognize the vehicle configuration I doubt it would work in the 200. The best bet if you want Carplay or Android Auto seems to be to replace the Uconnect head unit with an aftermarket unit using a device like the Maestro RR that will allow you to still access the vehicle settings. A few people on this forum have posted threads about doing these upgrades. I'm considering doing this myself and putting a Pioneer head unit with wireless Carplay in my car but haven't decided yet.

Also, an option you didn't mention but you might want to think about if any of the cars you are looking at has it is the Safetytec package. This gets you a few cool features including rain sensing wipers, auto high beams (these work a lot better than you might think, very useful if you do a lot of night driving), and adaptive cruise control (I use this all the time on the freeway).
    2015 200C AWD
    Billet Silver/Black Interior
    Nav & Sound, Premium Group, Premium Lighting, Safetytec
    Panoramic Roof
    19" Wheels

Thanks

I ordered my 15 200C with the 19" wheels with v6 FWD. I chose FWD over AWD, since I don't get that much snow in the DC region. When we do receive lots of snow, the area just shuts down anyways. But I regularly get 32mpg on highway with some side roads or city driving in region, and longer trips can get over 36mpg. I do wish, I chose the 17" wheels over the 19. 19's look great, but are harsher over bumps. I've driven the 200 with 17" wheels and it goes over road imperfections much better, plus tires are considerably less expensive.

The Nexens that come with the car, are not that bad in rain and snow but last around 30k miles. I replaced with Pirelli's but quickly noticed they were not all season like I had thought, could barely get through snow. Currently have some nice Goodyears that plow through rain and snow.

I did not order the upgraded lights and wish I did. In the city, at night they are ok. But now that I'm driving in the country out of the city to go home, the original bulbs are terrible. They do not shine very far. But there are various upgrades that can be performed. I chose some Sylvania bulbs that do greatly improve visibility. There are also Phillips bulbs that I've heard last longer and are good with increasing visibility as well. Both sets around $50.

I currently have 111,000 miles on my 200, and am happy with it. But will admit, Android Auto would be nice.

I am curious though, you listed cars that seem to have a very high price. Are these new? If they are used, shop around. You can get a very nice 200C with as low as 13,000 miles for under $21k. If the listed prices you posted are new, you should be able to get better deals. These cars are several years old now, dealers should be willing to price them well for you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to travman For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (05-23-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
    I'm leaning towards a "C" as I really want the ride comfort and interior trim (not a fan of the sport interior). My biggest dilemma is whether or not to hold out for an AWD variant or just go with a FWD. Are there differences in handling characteristics between the two? I'm coming out of a 2014 200 Limited and the FWD has been decent in inclement weather in Michigan. There probably is some power loss with the AWD system so that a deciding factor...
    I agree with you on the sport interior. The other disappointing thing to me with the S was the lack of the option packages available on the C.

While the AWD is heavier, it also has more neutral weight distribution and with AWD engaged full-time (S mode) it exhibits significantly less under-steer when you are on the throttle. Consequently handling is more enjoyable out of corners due to better control of car's attitude using the throttle. So, for my driving style I am very glad I got the AWD. (In fact I would not have even considered the car without it.) Anyway, AWD is not just about driving in slick conditions. In fact, even with AWD, this is not the best snow car, due to the relatively low ground clearance. Though it is good for confidence when the roads are slippery and snow not deep.

One other point is that the AWD cars also have less restrictive exhaust systems since there is no room for the resonator that comes with the FWD cars. So there may also be a little more power with the AWD than advertised.

Finally, I'm not saying any of this to put down the FWD version. Rather, as with most things, it's what is important to the individual.
    200C AWD
    Granite Crystal / Linen
    Safety Tec, Premium, Navigation & Sound
    Premium Lighting
    Replaced OE HID bulbs with Morimoto 5,500K
    18"
    OE Bridgestone Ecopias Replaced w/ Yokohama YK580s
    Mopar All-Weather Mats, Cargo Net, Cargo Area Tray
    Reverse, Interior, Trunk and License Plate
    LED Conversion
    3M
    Color Stable Glass Tint - Visor 35%, Side & Rear 50%
    K&N Drop-in Air Filter, RPM Motorsports Torque Tube
    MGP Black Caliper Covers, TitaniumTim 200C Coasters

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pennhaven For This Useful Post:

200s_Bullet (06-05-2019), Black Knight (05-23-2019), travman (05-23-2019)

Thanks

Unless it's for economy, I won't go back to FWD again - especially not with this much power, it's AWD or RWD only from here on out for me. Regardless of the weather, 300 HP in a sedan like this - the FWD version just spins out from a standstill @ full throttle unless the tires are new and road is perfect, and the power cannot be fully realized without the traction, especially when the road surface is wet. I have owned both a FWD (x2) and AWD Chrysler 200 with a V6 and one of the FWD was tuned.

I agree with the handling and it's why I bought the S over the C, I have the 18's so the ride isn't as harsh as it could be, but is still plenty firm without beating me up. Not putting down the FWD version either but it isn't for me. I also enjoy being able to kick out the rear end a little by using the throttle (on rare occasions), similar to a RWD vehicle, it's still a blast with nearly 100K miles on it.
    "Black Knight" was my father's trucker CB handle.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD
    Factory tuned, RPM Torque Tube

2013 Chrysler 200 Limited V6
    Lease returned 1/28/17

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Knight For This Useful Post:

200s_Bullet (06-05-2019), travman (05-23-2019)

Thanks

Pennhaven and Black Knight are right. This FWD easily spins it's wheels. In first....second...third...and I once had it spin in fourth as well. Yea, fwd requires learning to be gentle on the throttle, or tires get expensive real quick to replace.

Heh...I still remember the look that Optima turbo driver had hearing my 200 spin out through it's first 3 gears when I sped away from him. We met at the next stop light and yea, he didn't want to try to out run me again.

The AWD with smaller resonator does make this engine sound alot better, but beware, some whom want a quieter v6 may not like it. Most people on this site, love it, there were a few that thought it annoying. Personally I kind wish my resonator was smaller as well, it does sound really good.

Hilarious that other manufacturers use their stereo system to push through the muffler sound....we don't have to......cough cough...Ford! (I am a Ford fan though, but geez Ford, make it real!).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to travman For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (05-24-2019)

Thanks

I recently bought a used, low mileage 2016 200S with the 3.6 V6, FWD. I focused on getting the "S" trim as it was sportier than the other trim levels IMO. Steering is tighter, and it feels more like a performance sedan to me (I had driven the C trim and it felt "mushy"). I live in Michigan where there's lots of days with unanticipated weather--ice, snow, etc. I've learned over the years that AWD doesn't necessarily improve traction over FWD, especially when dedicated season tires are in the mix (i.e. "snow tires"). My '14 Charger RT AWD was horrible in the snow, especially with any depth in excess of 3 inches, where the fat tires would just plow instead of pull through the accumulations. I drove a Mustang (GT) with Blizzaks on a stretch of highway that had a 2" snowfall matted down by lots of traffic, and untreated with salt, etc. and I was shocked how those tires bit into the frozen surface on take off, then brought the car to a confident, quick stop at the lights. Personally, I think an FWD vehicle with dedicated season tires is going to perform much better, traction wise, than counting on "AWD" with supposed all-season tires.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)