3.6 liter Pentastar vs 3.2 liter Pentastar
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3.6 liter Pentastar vs 3.2 liter Pentastar

Thanks

Default 3.6 liter Pentastar vs 3.2 liter Pentastar

I mentioned in another post that I am planning on trading in my 2015 200S AWD in about a year from now for a Jeep Cherokee, most likely the trailhawk. I love the thought of being able to drive on any road, smooth, rough, potholes, dirt, snow etc, without worrying that I am going to damage rims and tires as I do now. My only concern is the lose of power going from the well powered 3.6 liter Pentastar in my 200 to the 3.2 liter engine in the Cherokee. Which leads me to wonder why FCA would not use the 3.6 liter engine in the Cherokee and instead come up with a 3.2 liter. Would it not be cheaper for them to have just used the current engine they had and just tune it differently towards and SUV. This makes more sense to me since the 200 and the Cherokee share allot of the parts already. I believe the Cherokee is the only vehicle that uses the 3.2 liter in the FCA line-up.
    2015 Chrysler 200S V6 AWD
    Black
    Black Leather Seats
    Panoramic sunroof
    8.4 Uconnect with Nav
    19" wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season Tires
    Alpine Sound System
    Paddle shifters

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

You are correct the only vehicle to use the 3.2 is the Cherokee. Kinda dumb of FCA to even make it for only one model. If anything the lighter vehicles should have the 3.2 and the heavier ones the 3.6... but whatever. Maybe they planned to kill the 200 right after re-design.

The Cherokee weighs quite a bit more than the 200 - 500-600 lbs heavier (?) and it's 3.2 has ~30 less HP and ~30 less TQ than the 3.6 in the Chrysler 200.

They do now use the 2.0T in the 19+ Cherokee as well - it has 295Ft.Lbs of TQ vs. 239TQ with the 3.2 V6, and only 1HP less than the 3.2 V6.

The 19' Cherokees weight about 150lbs less than previous versions as well.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee can be had for about the same $$ as the Cherokee, less depending on trim levels, and the weight is about the same in the larger Grand Cherokee as the (old) Cherokee.
    Last edited by Black Knight; 06-03-2019 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling errors
    "Black Knight" was my father's trucker CB handle.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD
    Factory tuned, RPM Torque Tube

2013 Chrysler 200 Limited V6
    Lease returned 1/28/17

Thanks

I've given some thought to the 2.0 turbo as well, but I have always preferred bigger naturally aspirated engines over smaller turbo's.
    Black
    Black Leather Seats
    Panoramic sunroof
    8.4 Uconnect with Nav
    Alpine Sound System
    Paddle shifters

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lightsout190 For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (06-03-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lightsout190 View Post
    I have always preferred bigger naturally aspirated engines over smaller turbo's.
    Same here, also the 2.0T I am pretty sure is direct injected.

The JGC is also an older platform - not a bad thing (thanks Daimler) and the newer 200/Cherokee/Dart is Fiat/Alfa.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD

Lease returned 1/28/17

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Same here, also the 2.0T I am pretty sure is direct injected.

The JGC is also an older platform - not a bad thing (thanks Daimler) and the newer 200/Cherokee/Dart is Fiat/Alfa.
    Yeah I believe the Grand Cherokee is based on the Mercedes M class platform, a solid platform which explains why they haven't changed it. The Grand Cherokee is what I would have really liked especially with the Hemi, but it's just a little to pricey for me.

Thanks

Well, as someone who has a fully modified 3.2 in a Trailhawk. Get the V6. While it does weigh more than the 200's its also geared higher as well (3.5 final drive ratio)

In fact its actually tuned a bit more aggressive vs the 3.6's and revs higher from the factory. Any mods for the 3.6 will work on the 3.2 You can also Tune the TCM on cherokees as well. Do a search on here as I've posted my results.

Only certain models of 2019 cherokees weigh less than older models and the Turbo 4 is actually the heaviest model.

I have 2 Cherokees 2014 and 2016 love them both and have been relatively reliable. Just remember if you get a 2019 (or even 2018) that should you want to get them tuned you need an unlocked PCM and a security module bypass in order to tune.

Other interesting bits of information should you want to tune the turbo you will also have to get a TCM tune because the factory TCM has a 295ft/lb limit in various parts of the tune, so if you are making more torque than that, the computer is backing the power off on the engine.

Or you could just be a normal person and get a Trailhawk and go offroad and they are extremely capable, also the only other vehicle in Jeep's line up that has a factory locker (besides the Rubicon wrangler)
    2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
    AFE Intake
    MMX Ported TB
    "PUG" Ported Lower Intake Manifold
    Flowmaster Super 10
    Player3 Custom Tune (With adjusted VVT Cams)

Thanks

Mid 16's stock Cherokee vs mid to low 14's with the stock AWD V6 200 but the steeper gearing in the Cherokee helps.

I only mention it because you were concerned with losing power, not saying anything bad about the Cherokee, especially if you mod one like Tyler-98-W68. Also, even though it's on the same platform, it's a different type of vehicle altogether so you would noticeably lose power but gain what you are looking for - off-road ability/better suited to take bumps etc... i'd get the V6 as well even if the 2.0T is faster - I have issues with direct injection and I like V6's over small turbo 4's - although the V6's are slowly becoming extinct, as is port injection.

I considered one myself a while back but I really don't want an SUV, I already have a pickup truck to haul things when needed.

Maybe do a spacer lift with the 200 and put on Cherokee wheels and tires - 5x110, they will fit.
    Last edited by Black Knight; 06-05-2019 at 06:31 PM.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD

Lease returned 1/28/17

Thanks

Mid 16's stock Cherokee vs mid to low 14's with the stock AWD V6 200 but the steeper gearing in the Cherokee helps.

I only mention it because you were concerned with losing power, not saying anything bad about the Cherokee, especially if you mod one like Tyler-98-W68. Also, even though it's on the same platform, it's a different type of vehicle altogether so you would noticeably lose power but gain what you are looking for - off-road ability/better suited to take bumps etc... i'd get the V6 as well even if the 2.0T is faster - I have issues with direct injection and I like V6's over small turbo 4's - although the V6's are slowly becoming extinct, as is port injection.

I considered one myself a while back but I really don't want an SUV, I already have a pickup truck to haul things when needed.

Maybe do a spacer lift with the 200 and put on Cherokee wheels and tires - 5x110, they will fit.
    The thing with the turbo is that its barely faster than the V6, I don't deny it has more torque but the way the vehicle is tuned from the factory anything below 2000rpm is seriously limited by PCM and TCM tuning limiting the torque. The turbo also shifts at 5300rpm (V6 6500rpm) Simply changing some torque management values allowed the engine to produce 220ft/lbs of torque at 2500rpm vs 180ft/lbs before the changes.

2 Different vehicles but you really can have the best of both words with a trailhawk, and only a wheel swap away from offroading or going to the track.

All that said If I got a new cherokee I would pick up a turbo and try my best to get a tune going for it. There are some piggyback tuners for the Jl 2.0 (Same engine) and they are dyno tested to work, but on the cherokee the TCM and PCM would have to be changed to best take advantage of the new power.
    2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
    AFE Intake
    MMX Ported TB
    "PUG" Ported Lower Intake Manifold
    Flowmaster Super 10
    Player3 Custom Tune (With adjusted VVT Cams)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
    Well, as someone who has a fully modified 3.2 in a Trailhawk. Get the V6. While it does weigh more than the 200's its also geared higher as well (3.5 final drive ratio)

In fact its actually tuned a bit more aggressive vs the 3.6's and revs higher from the factory. Any mods for the 3.6 will work on the 3.2 You can also Tune the TCM on cherokees as well. Do a search on here as I've posted my results.

Only certain models of 2019 cherokees weigh less than older models and the Turbo 4 is actually the heaviest model.

I have 2 Cherokees 2014 and 2016 love them both and have been relatively reliable. Just remember if you get a 2019 (or even 2018) that should you want to get them tuned you need an unlocked PCM and a security module bypass in order to tune.

Other interesting bits of information should you want to tune the turbo you will also have to get a TCM tune because the factory TCM has a 295ft/lb limit in various parts of the tune, so if you are making more torque than that, the computer is backing the power off on the engine.

Or you could just be a normal person and get a Trailhawk and go offroad and they are extremely capable, also the only other vehicle in Jeep's line up that has a factory locker (besides the Rubicon wrangler)
    Thanks for the info. I do remember reading in one of your posts that you modified your Cherokee. I am looking into the trailhawk due to the off road capability it has and definitely leaning towards the 3.2 V6 engine. While I do love my 200S AWD and power and headlining it has, I'm getting tired grinding my teeth every time I hit pothole, uneven bump in the road or come across a dirt road. And because I live in the country this happens often. In Ontario Canada a brand new 2019 Cherokee trailhawk with the options that I want is a little under $40,000. While the Grand Cherokee trailhawk is about $60,000. Do you takes yours off road allot?
    Black
    Black Leather Seats
    Panoramic sunroof
    8.4 Uconnect with Nav
    Alpine Sound System
    Paddle shifters

Thanks

If I'm going to do that then I might as well install an air suspension kit on there. If they can turn a Lamborghini into a somewhat off road vehicle then I guess anything is possible.

At the end of the day, I think I'm willing to part with what I get from my 200S for what the Cherokee trailhawk gives me. It's by far one of the most off road capable mid sized SUV's out there. Allot of the other SUV's, while nice are really not what their said to be. I guess if I really want the best of both worlds, speed/power and off road capability I have to get the F150 Raptor. Sorry I had to mention the F word on here.
    Black
    Black Leather Seats
    Panoramic sunroof
    8.4 Uconnect with Nav
    Alpine Sound System
    Paddle shifters

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)