2015 200C rusting already!
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2015 200C rusting already!

Thanks

Default 2015 200C rusting already!

We have a black 200C that is rusting along the front lip of the hood. It appears to be bubbling up from underneath the paint, WTH? The whole 1" lip across the front is rusting. This is unacceptable for being this new. Does anyone else have this issue? It has not been2015 200C rusting already!-200c-hood-rust.jpg wrecked, or hood replaced. We're in Michigan, but come on....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

It has been an issue for many of us. If you use the search button on here, you'll find all the info you'll need to get Chrysler to repair it for free. Chrysler's Corrosion warranty for outer components is 5 yrs/ 100,000 miles. You need to bring it to a dealer, they'll take pictures and send them in for approval. If covered, an appointment is made, and they pay for the rental. Mine took 4 days and cost me nothing. They used to replace the hoods, but now they repair the original hood.
    Last edited by mike w; 08-06-2019 at 04:06 PM.
    Mike
    2015 200c

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mike w For This Useful Post:

fltru103 (08-07-2019), Sleeper200c (08-07-2019), WmBlack318 (08-07-2019)

Thanks

Thank you Mike

6. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Point of order .... your hood is aluminum so it is not rusting. It may be corroding. Just sayin'
    2015 Chrysler 200 Ltd - Built 03/15 - Vivid Blue
    Gold plan 419 ext warranty
    3.6L
    8.4A System with Nav
    Comfort Group
    Optional 18" Satin Silver Rims with 235/45/18 Tires
    Hidden Content
    Winter Rims; Hidden Content with Hidden Content . 225/50/18
    35% Tint
    Yellow gas cap
    Added Cargo Net & Hidden Content
    Replaced the Brake Lights With Hidden Content

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shamrock249 For This Useful Post:

Daves200s (Yesterday), Pennhaven (Yesterday)

Thanks

I did an inspection of my hood this morn and....WTF! Sum bubbles starting. I'm taking too dealer in a few days, I'll keep y'all posted what happens.
    2015 200c 3.6 fwd

Magnaflow cat-back exhaust
    K&N C.A.I.
    RPM torque tube
    RPM base stage 93 octane tune
    225/50r17 Hankooks noble s2
    Amsoil 5w20
    Amsoil P.I. before oil changes
    EBC Red stuff brake pads
    Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors
    Amsoil synthetic brake fluid
    Amsoil dominator coolant boost
    Stant 18 psi coolant cap
    Tree air freshners under seats

Thanks

I actually bought a used corroded hood to repair my 2016 200s as a new one was WAY out of my budget... as most of the new replacement parts were also... Bought used parts for the most part...
    FCA used aluminum to reduce weight mandated by the government to improve gas mileage and increase MPG...
    I have had the "pleasure" of replacing a lot of front end parts and most were either plastic or aluminum... The front end will not survive a moderate crash without totalling the car.... There is really no frame from the engine forward...just 4 thin pieces of steel (frame rails and fender aprons) and two lower aluminum rails that crush at low speeds and then damage the engine cradle (also aluminum), motor mounts. and then the engine drops and damages the half shafts (CV axles)... I will put away my 200s this Winter and drive my 2006 Jeep Liberty as I can't afford to rebuild this car again and my older Jeep Liberty has a frame... It's sad but even the "quality" cars like BMW and Mercedes now won't withstand a wreck and not be totalled... The "new" Jeep Cherokee has the same "frame" as the 200 models and I would not take it out and abuse it off roading...
    None of today's cars will be around in 20 years as "classics" as the plastics will degrade and the thin steels will rust through... SAD...
    Dave

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daves200s View Post
    FCA used aluminum to reduce weight mandated by the government to improve gas mileage and increase MPG...
    Yes they did, and look at the great fuel mileage these cars get.

You also failed to mention the crash testing proved the engineers got it right.
    IIHS gave the 2015 Chrysler 200 all "Good" ratings for front crashworthiness.
    I would rather the car fold up around me in a crash, instead of me folding up inside the crash.

As a side note. The wife had some metal piece fly off the road and damage the hood last year. It gouged two nice slices into the aluminum metal of the hood. Other then that, I haven't seen any signs of bubbling or corrosion on the hood anywhere.
    This is in the land of winter salt covered roads.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to fltru103 For This Useful Post:

blincoln (Today)

Thanks

ftru103...
    you said "You also failed to mention the crash testing proved the engineers got it right.
    I would rather the car fold up around me in a crash, instead of me folding up inside the crash."

And everyone of those tested cars were deemed "scrap"... I would rather loose some mileage and still be safe and have a car that could be rebuilt for a reasonable price... Every car that gets scrapped just drives YOUR insurance up and MOST new cars will not be rebuilt... You should see the "safe" Chrysler 200s that were badly damaged including the passenger compartment... While searching for used parts I DID... once the crushed material is gone there is very little steel left between you and what you hit... The most of the damage done was at low speeds and at higher speeds there will be nothing left ... We all have opinions and I would rather have some replaceable steel frame work that folds during an accident than aluminum and plastic... Take a look at the "new" all aluminum Ford Trucks...they get totalled for "minor" body damage because the aluminum panels are welded and can't be replaced reasonably... You pay less for gas and will pay much more for insurance...

Like I said ...my opinion...
    Dave

Thanks

I do believe that the current 200 is one of the safest cars around today. I was in an accident with mine last year with around $10000 damage. New Hood, left fender, inner fender, headlight assy, bumper, grills, mouldings and various sundries and paint.

Look at this one ... two adults and a five year old ... minor injuries ...
    2015 200C rusting already!-200.jpg The newspaper article.
    2015 Chrysler 200 Ltd - Built 03/15 - Vivid Blue
    Gold plan 419 ext warranty
    3.6L
    8.4A System with Nav
    Comfort Group
    Optional 18" Satin Silver Rims with 235/45/18 Tires
    Hidden Content
    Winter Rims; Hidden Content with Hidden Content . 225/50/18
    35% Tint
    Yellow gas cap
    Added Cargo Net & Hidden Content
    Replaced the Brake Lights With Hidden Content

15. The Following User Says Thank You to shamrock249 For This Useful Post:

blincoln (Today)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daves200s View Post
    ftru103...
    you said "You also failed to mention the crash testing proved the engineers got it right.
    I would rather the car fold up around me in a crash, instead of me folding up inside the crash."

And everyone of those tested cars were deemed "scrap"... I would rather loose some mileage and still be safe and have a car that could be rebuilt for a reasonable price... Every car that gets scrapped just drives YOUR insurance up and MOST new cars will not be rebuilt... You should see the "safe" Chrysler 200s that were badly damaged including the passenger compartment... While searching for used parts I DID... once the crushed material is gone there is very little steel left between you and what you hit... The most of the damage done was at low speeds and at higher speeds there will be nothing left ... We all have opinions and I would rather have some replaceable steel frame work that folds during an accident than aluminum and plastic... Take a look at the "new" all aluminum Ford Trucks...they get totalled for "minor" body damage because the aluminum panels are welded and can't be replaced reasonably... You pay less for gas and will pay much more for insurance...

Like I said ...my opinion...
    Dave
    For each person injured in a serious car accident, over $100K of insurance money can be consumed, so the argument that a car is totaled and drives up your insurance rates is specious. People cost WAY more than cars to fix, and often can't be totally fixed. Cars can be replaced. Insurance costs are in good shape these days because bodily injury is down and damage to cars is up.
    Most people would rather live and be able-bodied, than save the car they were riding in.
    My opinion....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)