Should I update PCM and TCM - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Should I update PCM and TCM

Thanks

I figured I'd revive this thread.

I did have the update done. I figured if there were any issues that's the first thing the dealer would want to do anyway. I've put maybe another 1000 miles on it and the shift from 2-3 is still a jolt. Well I should clarify. It's a rough shift when between 1500-5500 rpm. I'm almost positive that the dealer did the proper learn procedure because there were 14 more miles on it when I picked it up from them.

I saw mention of a star case about this issue somewhere. Does anyone know anything specific about that? I'd like to have as much info as possible when I schedule to take it in again. That won't be until late March as my schedule won't allow for any sooner.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WCMF View Post
    I have a question about updates and Planefixer feel free to jump in here also, I have a 2015 200 S V-6 built in 02/15 and I bought in 05/15. While I am by no means a mechanic and especially on newer cars, I am very mechanically minded as I am a master plumber and have raced various different motorsports my entire life. In early August I had a TCM and PCM update done, then about 11/20 she was in for her second oil change, they checked her and there was a new PCM update out, which they did and ONLY the PCM update. It should be known that to this day have never noticed a problem with the transmission except twice did she not want to go from second to third automatically and had to be shifted manually. It happened once before the first update and once after. On either of the updates did they did not do a "quicklearn", I know, because I was there. Also, without driving for at least an hour one way there is no place to perform this procedure. Can it be done on a dyno? Can it be done at any time? In other words, can I drive it somewhere now and do it myself or does it have to be done at the time of the update? Thanks in advance for any input you may have...
    The answer to your questions about the quicklearn procedure can be found in the quote below. As for the PCM only update, its fine to do one if only one is available. The TCM and PCM work together to decide transmission shifts, and each new update is written with the assumption that the vehicle has the latest update in the other computer, so the only thing to worry about is making sure that if you have an update available for both computers, you do them both.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernboy61 View Post
    My car ran flawlessly for close to a year until I started recognizing the 2nd to 3rd gear hard shift again last month. The dealer performed the TCM and PCM update but the hard shift is still there so I went back last week and they told me the quick learn process wasn't done so they did it. Basically what they did is connect the car to the computer, let the tranny warm up to a certain temperature and then put the car on "D" and it started to do a check up, going through all gears. At one point the screen changed asking the tech to do some switching between D and R 3 times within 5 seconds (off the top of my head). Then the process was done.

Result: Same hard shift between 2nd and 3rd and car seems to hesitate between gears 4-5 and 6. All in all, not a happy camper these days after having close to a year with a tranny performing great. This adds to my FM signal reception issue since R24 was performed... Another appointment is set for Dec 15th.
    Chrysler and the company who designed and built these 9 speeds are still working together to solve the software issues with these transmissions. I'll explain these transmissions as simply as I can.
    For starters, ZF Transmissions pulled some crazy voodoo magic when designing these transmissions. They are no bigger than, and weigh even less than the 6 speed transmissions ZF used to make. I've only seen the inside of these trans in pictures, because thus far Chrysler doesn't let us rebuild them, we just get a new unit and send the broken one back for them to inspect. So the transmission itself is a whole new animal that needs to be figured out. The reason it needs to be figured out still is because all of its testing was done overseas in different vehicles, with different driving styles from the people in those areas, it was never tested over here until fiat picked it up for the new 200's and Cherokee's. So once it hit the masses over here, they immediately ran into issues with a lot of them due to the vastly different driving habits of american drivers. So the name of the game has been constant tweaking of the shift logic to try to find that happy place that prevents these transmissions from learning bad shifting habits over time. After the first updates and the introduction of the quicklearn procedures, there have been a fraction of the problems (and no more failures thus far at our dealership) but there are still some issues out there with some vehicles. I notice somewhat stiff or harsh shifts from time to time in customer vehicles under the right throttle inputs, but we have very few complaints otherwise. It's going to take some more tweaking to get these new transmissions sorted out unfortunately, but they have been working pretty hard on it as far as I have seen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by llcamino View Post
    I figured I'd revive this thread.

I did have the update done. I figured if there were any issues that's the first thing the dealer would want to do anyway. I've put maybe another 1000 miles on it and the shift from 2-3 is still a jolt. Well I should clarify. It's a rough shift when between 1500-5500 rpm. I'm almost positive that the dealer did the proper learn procedure because there were 14 more miles on it when I picked it up from them.

I saw mention of a star case about this issue somewhere. Does anyone know anything specific about that? I'd like to have as much info as possible when I schedule to take it in again. That won't be until late March as my schedule won't allow for any sooner.

The star case is for the software concerns.

FYI I didn't mean to abandon this post, I just found myself extremely busy these last few months and never had time to hop back on here.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpinsAll4 View Post
    I recommend getting them done. I did mine with only 2300 miles on the car and the difference was immeasurable, so much nicer shifting. I should note however, I'm pretty anal about how a car runs and drives (I'm a driveability diagnostic technician at Chrysler, it's my job to pick cars apart and find their problems) so the average driver might not fell its as much of a difference as I did.

Also, don't discredit the other dealership who did the original updates. Another flash package came out for the PCM and TCM this past month for the 200 that supersedes the ones you would have received in October. More shift enhancements is basically all that is in it, as well as some fixes for the hand full of TCM's that are throwing certain DTC's randomly. So it would show an available flash for those modules now even though you just had them done in October. Be sure to always get them both done together, as well as the quicklearn transmission shift procedure. Leaving any of the 3 out can cause poor shifts and possible transmission damage, according to Chrysler.
    I recently had my PCM and TCM updated to hopefully address a starting issue. The dealer did not perform a quick learn on the car and gave me instructions to drive as I normally would for the transmission to "re-learn" my driving behavior. I've noticed in sport mode, right before I come to a stop, it shifts really hard and jerks the car. I've turned on the gear display in the cluster and hope to catch what it is up to exactly. After about a week, I had hoped it would resolve itself with the "learning" it is doing. I'm thinking I may need to head back in to have this looked at though.

2015 200C AWD 3.6L

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clintonbishop View Post
    I recently had my PCM and TCM updated to hopefully address a starting issue. The dealer did not perform a quick learn on the car and gave me instructions to drive as I normally would for the transmission to "re-learn" my driving behavior. I've noticed in sport mode, right before I come to a stop, it shifts really hard and jerks the car. I've turned on the gear display in the cluster and hope to catch what it is up to exactly. After about a week, I had hoped it would resolve itself with the "learning" it is doing. I'm thinking I may need to head back in to have this looked at though.

2015 200C AWD 3.6L
    I was on here just to see if A. I was the only one and B. If there was a software fix for this. The car when we got it last April didn't seem to do this. Then in the fall (I'm in MI) we took it in for the airbag recall or whatever it was, and when it came back, it does the same thing as described in the quote. It seems to go from 3rd to 1st, which may be normal, but it does it nearly violently as if the torque converter is still above stall speed.

The car, if you don't have your foot hard on the brake, will jump forward, so its a pretty serious issue. Knowing that, I'm ready coming up to a red light, but it still gives you a whiplash feeling and the nose jumps up. Off the line it seems to shift like someone who is just learning stick up until 4th. I like abrupt shifting - if I'm hard on the gas with paddle shifters in something with 450hp, but this just a 4cyl commuter-mobile. I was going to take it to the dealer, but they seem to be nearly the last people to know the real information - is there an update since say March 2016 when clintonbishop seems to have received the same lousy flash that I got?

2015 200C 2.4l

Thanks

Hi I bought a 2015 200c V6 last June (2018) it had 37000 on it. I notice that sometimes when in D (not s) the transmission holds it shift to the next gear for a long time, I can feel and hear it. How do I know if my car has the correct updates?

im new to 200forums
    ty
    2015 200C AWD V6
    Bright White Clear Coat
    Black Leather Interior
    Safety Tec
    Navigation/ Alpine Sound Group
    Dual-Pane Panoramic Sunroof
    19” Wheels

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John333ride View Post
    Hi I bought a 2015 200c V6 last June (2018) it had 37000 on it. I notice that sometimes when in D (not s) the transmission holds it shift to the next gear for a long time, I can feel and hear it. How do I know if my car has the correct updates?

im new to 200forums
    ty
    The only way to know is to allow a Chrysler dealer to inspect and confirm if all updates have been performed.
    They may charge for some updates, but not any that were listed as a recall.
    Start by checking yourself for recalls not performed here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Remember, your vehicle is covered under the 5 year, 100K mile power train warranty.
    That ONLY covers engine, trans and select other items which are described in the owners manual.
    The owners manual can be found here: https://cdn.dealereprocess.net/cdn/s...r/2015-200.pdf

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to fltru103 For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (07-18-2019)

Thanks

It also could be a feature depending on where you are driving, does this happen going up an incline, even a slight one? If so, it's by design. Some older transmissions will hunt between gears constantly going up hills, this one will hold the gear if on an incline based on throttle percentage used.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Planefixer View Post
    One thing to keep in mind... The Chrysler 200 and Cherokee have different part numbers, shift strategies and calibrations so you shouldn't assume the Cherokee and the 200 are the same in shifting.... they are not
    That's not entirely correct. The UF and KL shift strategies are about 95% the same. Most of it is turbine rpm shift points. The 1-2 shift point on the 3.2 is a lot higher than the uf. A lot of the part throttle stuff lays right on top of each other.
    2015 200S 3.6 AWD
    Mopar CAI
    Mopar cat back
    05281803aa lower intake
    BBK throttle body
    Unlocked PCM
    Player3 ECM and TCM tune

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)