Should I update PCM and TCM
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should I update PCM and TCM

Thanks

Default Should I update PCM and TCM

When I had my R24 recall done (end of October) I asked the service manager if they did all of the updates, he assured me they did. I suspected they didnt. So I took my car to a different dealer this morning, one closer to home where we just purchased my wife's 2016 Cherokee, and had them plug it in to check for updates. They confirmed there is a PCM and TCM update and that I'd have to schedule about 3 hours to account for the learn process.

I have a 2015 V6 FWD and I'm noticing a harder shift from 2-3. My wife's 2016 Cherokee ZF9 is smooth as butter.

Has anyone had these updates and regretted getting them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

One thing to keep in mind... The Chrysler 200 and Cherokee have different part numbers, shift strategies and calibrations so you shouldn't assume the Cherokee and the 200 are the same in shifting.... they are not

Thanks

I recommend getting them done. I did mine with only 2300 miles on the car and the difference was immeasurable, so much nicer shifting. I should note however, I'm pretty anal about how a car runs and drives (I'm a driveability diagnostic technician at Chrysler, it's my job to pick cars apart and find their problems) so the average driver might not fell its as much of a difference as I did.

Also, don't discredit the other dealership who did the original updates. Another flash package came out for the PCM and TCM this past month for the 200 that supersedes the ones you would have received in October. More shift enhancements is basically all that is in it, as well as some fixes for the hand full of TCM's that are throwing certain DTC's randomly. So it would show an available flash for those modules now even though you just had them done in October. Be sure to always get them both done together, as well as the quicklearn transmission shift procedure. Leaving any of the 3 out can cause poor shifts and possible transmission damage, according to Chrysler.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I too am extremely picky about car performance. While not a mechanic, I have noticed extremely slight problems at their onset, things that my dad who was a former mechanic could barely perceive. When taken apart, have found the part to be just starting to go bad. So if the update is a good one, I'll probably notice. Not to say I could do your job haha.

I give the former dealer the benefit of the doubt with your new info. But the new dealer I took it to is a lot more convenient, and the owner said they have no problem working on my vehicle even though I didn't buy it from them. That's a good thing after hearing some members horror stories about dealers giving them a hard time about working on their cars.

It's also good to know all 3 need to be done together, as that seems to be the dealers plan.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpinsAll4 View Post
    ... I'm a driveability diagnostic technician at Chrysler, it's my job to pick cars apart and find their problems ........ the quicklearn transmission shift procedure. Leaving any of the 3 out can cause poor shifts and possible transmission damage, according to Chrysler.
    You must be the only one in this position in North America lol
    What exactly is the quicklearn transmission shift procedure that you know ?
    There was one noted on this site involving accelerating up and down for 20 minutes at various speeds, no chance any tech does this

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpinsAll4 View Post
    I recommend getting them done. I did mine with only 2300 miles on the car and the difference was immeasurable, so much nicer shifting. I should note however, I'm pretty anal about how a car runs and drives (I'm a driveability diagnostic technician at Chrysler, it's my job to pick cars apart and find their problems) so the average driver might not fell its as much of a difference as I did.

Also, don't discredit the other dealership who did the original updates. Another flash package came out for the PCM and TCM this past month for the 200 that supersedes the ones you would have received in October. More shift enhancements is basically all that is in it, as well as some fixes for the hand full of TCM's that are throwing certain DTC's randomly. So it would show an available flash for those modules now even though you just had them done in October. Be sure to always get them both done together, as well as the quicklearn transmission shift procedure. Leaving any of the 3 out can cause poor shifts and possible transmission damage, according to Chrysler.

I have a question about updates and Planefixer feel free to jump in here also, I have a 2015 200 S V-6 built in 02/15 and I bought in 05/15. While I am by no means a mechanic and especially on newer cars, I am very mechanically minded as I am a master plumber and have raced various different motorsports my entire life. In early August I had a TCM and PCM update done, then about 11/20 she was in for her second oil change, they checked her and there was a new PCM update out, which they did and ONLY the PCM update. It should be known that to this day have never noticed a problem with the transmission except twice did she not want to go from second to third automatically and had to be shifted manually. It happened once before the first update and once after. On either of the updates did they did not do a "quicklearn", I know, because I was there. Also, without driving for at least an hour one way there is no place to perform this procedure. Can it be done on a dyno? Can it be done at any time? In other words, can I drive it somewhere now and do it myself or does it have to be done at the time of the update? Thanks in advance for any input you may have...
    Chryssy Chrysler
    2015 200 S (Mfg. Feb. 2015) Purchased May 11 2015, odometer 16 mi.
    Pentastar 3.6L VVT w/Yellow E-85 Gas Cap
    Phantom Black Tri-Coat Pearl (PXT)
    Premium Nav. & Sound Groups w/8.4" UConnect Display
    Comfort Group w/Ambassador Blue Leather Seats & Black Trim
    Premium Light Group
    19" Hyper Black Wheels
    Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof

Thanks

My car ran flawlessly for close to a year until I started recognizing the 2nd to 3rd gear hard shift again last month. The dealer performed the TCM and PCM update but the hard shift is still there so I went back last week and they told me the quick learn process wasn't done so they did it. Basically what they did is connect the car to the computer, let the tranny warm up to a certain temperature and then put the car on "D" and it started to do a check up, going through all gears. At one point the screen changed asking the tech to do some switching between D and R 3 times within 5 seconds (off the top of my head). Then the process was done.

Result: Same hard shift between 2nd and 3rd and car seems to hesitate between gears 4-5 and 6. All in all, not a happy camper these days after having close to a year with a tranny performing great. This adds to my FM signal reception issue since R24 was performed... Another appointment is set for Dec 15th.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec SH-AWD Elite V6
    Black (built 05/17) service 04/18
    Interior: Leather/Suede Ebony Acantra
    19 inches Black rims
    Acura Link w/Nav
    K&N drop in air filter

Thanks

My thoughts are don't upgrade flash unless your unsatisfied with the performance. I've seen too many bad upgrades.

One thing that never gets talked about unless your a Chip engineer..

Sometimes a part of flash memory will be programmed and then on subsequent tries that "bad code" may not be erased.. I've seen a couple PCMS do this and act funky ... never to work right........

To the point that only a new PCM would fix the problem same for TCM's

Thanks

Me too. I've even flashed cars that said they flashed and validated....then the code never actually wrote. Sometimes the files don't validate the check sums, but say they did. Who knows?!

I also seen cars running on dead ecus. How they ran at all was a mystery to me.
    2015 Chrysler 200S 3.6L FWD
    Vivid Blue Pearl

Thanks

Thanks Guys. I don't know what to say except, "That's just great". I guess for now, just go with the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Like I said, it only did that twice out of hundreds of shifts, it's just that (of course) when it did do it, both times, was at the worse time.
    Chryssy Chrysler
    2015 200 S (Mfg. Feb. 2015) Purchased May 11 2015, odometer 16 mi.
    Pentastar 3.6L VVT w/Yellow E-85 Gas Cap
    Phantom Black Tri-Coat Pearl (PXT)
    Premium Nav. & Sound Groups w/8.4" UConnect Display
    Comfort Group w/Ambassador Blue Leather Seats & Black Trim
    Premium Light Group
    19" Hyper Black Wheels
    Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)