Proposed Class Action Settlement for 9 Speed ZF 9HP Automatic transmission - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Proposed Class Action Settlement for 9 Speed ZF 9HP Automatic transmission

Thanks

I've still got complaints even after having the transmission changed. I continue to have little intermittant annoying faults. Latest one being the vehicle wont come out of first gear. 25 mph at 3000-4000 rpm. It wont shift at all. I have to stop and try again. The dealer and Chrysler wanted the car for 2 weeks as you have stated. They were willing to give me a loaner but if my car didnt show a problem in that 2 weeks, the dealer was going to charge me for the loaner. Nobody knows your car better than you. I declined to take them up on their generous offer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

I've had my 200c only a couple of months, and I too have been experiencing the harsh 2-3 shift. (which it didn't seem to do so much on the test drive, of course) It had a harsh 1-2 shift as well, but the firmware update has mitigated that problem. It's disappointing as the rest of the shifts are seamless. I'm kind of wondering if it's a throttle calibration issue, as it lurches like the engine is running out of breath, but if I give it full or near full throttle, the shift is firm, but less abrupt. When I got the update done, the mechanic scrawled "shifts as designed" on the invoice. Which seems to indicate that they've seen many of these complaints but can't do anything about it.

The car is so schizophrenic... I love many things about it, but also am quite disappointed. It feels like an unfinished effort that could have been world class, but was given up on when it was almost there. (and now discontinued) Killed by corporate red tape and general incompetence I suppose. After many years of buying Mopars, I think this will be my last one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
    I've had my 200c only a couple of months, and I too have been experiencing the harsh 2-3 shift. (which it didn't seem to do so much on the test drive, of course) It had a harsh 1-2 shift as well, but the firmware update has mitigated that problem. It's disappointing as the rest of the shifts are seamless. I'm kind of wondering if it's a throttle calibration issue, as it lurches like the engine is running out of breath, but if I give it full or near full throttle, the shift is firm, but less abrupt. When I got the update done, the mechanic scrawled "shifts as designed" on the invoice. Which seems to indicate that they've seen many of these complaints but can't do anything about it.

The car is so schizophrenic... I love many things about it, but also am quite disappointed. It feels like an unfinished effort that could have been world class, but was given up on when it was almost there. (and now discontinued) Killed by corporate red tape and general incompetence I suppose. After many years of buying Mopars, I think this will be my last one.
    Mopar cars are good, just avoid the ZF, stick to a car with the 8 speed and it will be good to go.
    2015 200C FWD, 3.6L, 8.4AN, K&N drop-in, 15% ceramic tint, Hidden Content , Philips CrystalVision Ultra (9012 & H11, 4000K), Hidden Content , 235/50-17 tires on stock 17" wheels, Hidden Content Hidden Content .

I'm done with this car, too many Hidden Content , I will get me a used Genesis G70 when my extended warranty from CarMax expires.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

I'm on my third transmission, much of the detail is documented on this forum. Car was with two dealerships for a period of 3 weeks. Probably 4-5 actual visits. Now my 4-5 shift is exactly as Ilcamino describes his above; almost like being hit from behind. Dealer can't reproduce it therefore it doesn't exist. I am just living with it. We will have to see if FCA actually agrees to the terms in the letter about the class action suit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by genes View Post
    I'm on my third transmission, much of the detail is documented on this forum. Car was with two dealerships for a period of 3 weeks. Probably 4-5 actual visits. Now my 4-5 shift is exactly as Ilcamino describes his above; almost like being hit from behind. Dealer can't reproduce it therefore it doesn't exist. I am just living with it. We will have to see if FCA actually agrees to the terms in the letter about the class action suit.
    Sucks that it's that bad, my 2-3 shifts hard, but not bad enough to feel like I got hit, once in a while it kicks real hard when I am 2/3 throttle or more, so the higher the rev when it shifts, the harder it kicks, and when at full throttle, it will disconnect for a second then kick into third real hard.
    I hope you'll get that cash voucher though.

Third transmission, you should look into getting a lawyer and get out of your loan..., And get another car at a big discount.
    2015 200C FWD, 3.6L, 8.4AN, K&N drop-in, 15% ceramic tint, Hidden Content , Philips CrystalVision Ultra (9012 & H11, 4000K), Hidden Content , 235/50-17 tires on stock 17" wheels, Hidden Content Hidden Content .

I'm done with this car, too many Hidden Content , I will get me a used Genesis G70 when my extended warranty from CarMax expires.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLasVegas View Post
    Mopar cars are good, just avoid the ZF, stick to a car with the 8 speed and it will be good to go.
    The 8 speeds are also ZF transmissions.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fltru103 For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (11-23-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fltru103 View Post
    The 8 speeds are also ZF transmissions.
    9 speed for fwd then, the 8 speed is ok.

Thanks

I mentioned to my dealer that "I cant be the only one having problems with this type of transmission". Their response was pretty much "yes you are," rather than take responsibility for it. They ought to be ashamed of themselves for playing it down rather than take the side of their customer. My dealer is located in a remote area of Ohio, so I would think they would do everything to satisfy their customers rather than lose one for something like this. I have stated on this website before that my vehicle still has transmission glitches even after the dealer replaced it. Chrysler tried one time to fix it. Now they think their responsibility has ended. The dealer told me years ago that this transmission is German built and that the dealer has limited access to it. Fixing it is extremely limited to external parts only.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pbetoolman View Post
    The dealer told me years ago that this transmission is German built and that the dealer has limited access to it.
    Limited access to it? That is probably the dumbest complete lie I have ever heard from a dealership. So then... BMW and Mercedes Benz can't be fixed at a dealer because they are German?

If I buy a Lexus GS350 from a Lexus dealership, they are off the hook for repairs since it's one of the few vehicles left actually 100% made in Japan?

I would take it to another dealer and make sure FCA knows how badly they are being represented by this dealership.
    "Black Knight" was my father's trucker CB handle.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD
    Factory tuned, RPM Torque Tube

2013 Chrysler 200 Limited V6
    Lease returned 1/28/17

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pbetoolman View Post
    I mentioned to my dealer that "I cant be the only one having problems with this type of transmission". Their response was pretty much "yes you are," rather than take responsibility for it. They ought to be ashamed of themselves for playing it down rather than take the side of their customer. My dealer is located in a remote area of Ohio, so I would think they would do everything to satisfy their customers rather than lose one for something like this. I have stated on this website before that my vehicle still has transmission glitches even after the dealer replaced it. Chrysler tried one time to fix it. Now they think their responsibility has ended. The dealer told me years ago that this transmission is German built and that the dealer has limited access to it. Fixing it is extremely limited to external parts only.
    You might be the only one at that dealer with the problems if they sold very limited amounts of the 200. I bought my 200 from a dealer that mostly sold SUV's and Trucks. It's more remote by being outside of the DC region and they seemed to not know as much about the car as the other vehicles due to this. Dealers in the city region were more familiar with the cars. You maybe having similar issue and just need to go to another dealer.

The transmission is German designed, the v6 versions were built in South Carolina along with the Honda and Range Rover ZF trans, while the 4 cylinder versions were built by Chrysler along with the Jeep trans.

I had checked with my dealer about how much it would cost to rebuild these. My 200's warranty expires in about 2 months, will have 100k miles in that time. So I was curious in case it needs to be rebuilt. I was told these are not rebuild-able, only replaceable at a cost of $7000 new with labor. That might explain why your dealer stated they have limited access to them. They cannot work on the actual transmissions, only replace.

There was a TSB put out last year for a software update on the transmission. I just had this done a few weeks ago myself, since my original dealer failed to see this and install it. It fixed many of the issues I had on my transmission. Check with a different dealer on any service bulletins. Had this not been done, I myself would have mostly likely traded this car off a few weeks ago. My transmission was simply slamming into the gears far too hard and unnaturally to what it used to shift like a few years ago.
    Last edited by travman; 11-24-2018 at 01:41 PM.
    2015 Chrysler 200C v6 FWD
    Moonroof, 19" wheels
    Chrysler bike hitch receiver

14. The Following User Says Thank You to travman For This Useful Post:

Pennhaven (11-25-2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)