2016 200s has FCA solved the ZF9 transmission problems?
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2016 200s has FCA solved the ZF9 transmission problems?

Thanks

Default 2016 200s has FCA solved the ZF9 transmission problems?

I have a 2016 (manufactured in 2015) 200s 2.4L with the ZF9 transmission...So far I haven't had any strange problems with the transmission... I see there was a class action lawsuit for the 2015 200 series for shifting problems... The old (damaged) hood had a TSB sticker on it but it is long gone... I haven't seen any TSBs from FCA on the internet and was wondering if the majority of the transmission problems have been solved... Is there a site where I can check my VIN for any outstanding recalls?

Any threads here on the ZF9 problems and cures would be welcome
    Daves200s

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daves200s View Post
    I have a 2016 (manufactured in 2015) 200s 2.4L with the ZF9 transmission...So far I haven't had any strange problems with the transmission... I see there was a class action lawsuit for the 2015 200 series for shifting problems... The old (damaged) hood had a TSB sticker on it but it is long gone... I haven't seen any TSBs from FCA on the internet and was wondering if the majority of the transmission problems have been solved... Is there a site where I can check my VIN for any outstanding recalls?

Any threads here on the ZF9 problems and cures would be welcome
    Daves200s
    The class action lawsuit was settled, but really didn't offer much.

A "TSB" sticker is something I never heard of. Those technical service bulletins are something the dealer has to check to repair certain items.
    The owner receives a written service order stating what work was performed.

I personally feel the issues were resolved and this transmission was something people needed to get used to how it acted. Sure it needed some software updates, but overall most owners don't have issues.

Check for open recalls here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Thanks

We just purchased a used 2015 C with less than 49000 on it. We've noticed some unsettling shifting and hesitation with the transmission. There is a "TSB 21-008-15 REV. A" regarding this and throwing a code U0402, which we are getting. Also getting MIL and remote won't work when MIL is on. We have an appointment tomorrow morning at the Chrysler dealer to have it checked out. I will let you know what they say....

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WmBlack318 View Post
    We just purchased a used 2015 C with less than 49000 on it. We've noticed some unsettling shifting and hesitation with the transmission. There is a "TSB 21-008-15 REV. A" regarding this and throwing a code U0402, which we are getting. Also getting MIL and remote won't work when MIL is on. We have an appointment tomorrow morning at the Chrysler dealer to have it checked out. I will let you know what they say....
    Let us know the outcome !
    I would doubt the dealership will perform that TSB. It indicates only certain vehicles apply, which they determine by your VIN number. Besides, not many ( if any at all ) have been trained to disassemble and repair these 9 speed transmissions.
    The good news is your vehicle still carries a 5 year, 100K powertrain warranty.

Thanks

So taking a peek on the Acura forums (researching my next vehicle - it's one of many options) - same exact "issues" with the 200 are experienced on the TLX that has the same ZF9 - example "rough" 2nd to 3rd shift.

I put issues in quotes because most of the time there isn't actually a problem, but rather what people are used to vs. not understanding how a 9-speed performs - and hey, maybe some people don't like it, to each their own. I like mine.

My next vehicle won't be a new Chrysler 200 because FCA doesn't know how to compete with our Japanese friends in the mid-sized or small sedan market anymore and has thrown in the towel.
    "Black Knight" was my father's trucker CB handle.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD
    Factory tuned, RPM Torque Tube

2013 Chrysler 200 Limited V6
    Lease returned 1/28/17

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Knight For This Useful Post:

fltru103 (Yesterday)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fltru103 View Post
    Let us know the outcome !
    I would doubt the dealership will perform that TSB. It indicates only certain vehicles apply, which they determine by your VIN number. Besides, not many ( if any at all ) have been trained to disassemble and repair these 9 speed transmissions.
    The good news is your vehicle still carries a 5 year, 100K powertrain warranty.
    ZF transmissions are replace-only at the dealerships. They are not trained or authorized to work on them. Same as the CVT.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blincoln View Post
    ZF transmissions are replace-only at the dealerships. They are not trained or authorized to work on them. Same as the CVT.
    I believe that is what I said.
    The dealers back in the 90's stopped doing internal work on any transmission. Cheaper, quicker and better results with a direct rebuilt replacement.
    BTW ... Chrysler does not have a CVT.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to fltru103 For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (Yesterday)

Thanks

The dealers back in the 90's stopped doing internal work on any transmission. Cheaper, quicker and better results with a direct rebuilt replacement.
    I was actually wondering that - I kinda thought that but didn't know for sure - explains why I can't recall ever seeing a transmission disassembled at a new car dealer.
    Last edited by Black Knight; Yesterday at 12:34 PM.
    "Black Knight" was my father's trucker CB handle.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD
    Factory tuned, RPM Torque Tube

2013 Chrysler 200 Limited V6
    Lease returned 1/28/17

Thanks

...I agree...they threw in the towel. No mid-size in the Mopar line up any more. Too bad this 2nd gen 200 had potential. It had a jump on current mid-size sedans w all the options and goodies it came with in 2015, competitors are just catching up with making those goodies standard. Im a couple years away from a new car and I dont see a FCA product in my future.
    Last edited by Sleeper200c; Yesterday at 12:55 PM.
    2015 200c 3.6 fwd

Magnaflow cat-back exhaust
    K&N C.A.I.
    RPM torque tube
    RPM base stage 93 octane tune
    225/50r17 Hankooks noble s2
    Amsoil 5w20
    Amsoil P.I. before oil changes
    Amsoil dominator coolant boost
    Stant 18 psi coolant cap
    Tree air freshners under seats

Thanks

Chrysler DID sell a CVT in the Caliber, Patriot and Compass.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)