Refrigerant Recharge (r1234yf) - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Refrigerant Recharge (r1234yf)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blincoln View Post
    Proper servicing of A/C systems requires proper diagnosis and servicing. Any mechanic replacing a compressor should also be qualified to recharge it. Since he apparently was not, you need to take it somewhere where they can service the new refrigerant.

You cannot just add refrigerant to an empty system. It is full of air and moisture, both of which will not only corrode the system internally, but also take up the volume that the refrigerant needs to occupy. A vacuum pump and the knowledge of how to recharge this system are required. Sorry, there is no way to get around paying a professional. You risk ruining the system and causing a lot more damage than what you are being quoted now.
    allen998 - above is the best advise on here in my opinion.

Unless your mechanic or the person you are getting advise from has their HVAC certification - it's all talk. Maybe ask if anyone has their HVAC certification/has experience on here? As stated above this isn't something that's cheap or easily serviceable etc... you can do $$$$$ of damage easily.

Get it done right from a qualified experienced professional.

There's some obvious mis-information contained in this thread, and no problem debating etc.. but let's try not to insult other members.
    Last edited by Black Knight; 07-12-2019 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typo

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

To forum members... Where I stand and why...

The original poster asked " Has anyone dealt with recharging their r1234yf refrigerant in their 200? If so were you able to do it yourself, or did you have to take it to a dealer?"

Being a member of this forum I answered that question with what I found worked without any problems to the OP...

I understand him not wanting to spend a lot of money at the Chrysler dealership for something he really didn't need done... his quote "I called the dealership I bought it from and they told me that no matter what I have to get a diagnostics ran on the AC unit before servicing. That itself runs $360 and I truly cannot afford that just for cold air."
    Not everyone can afford or wish to be racked by a dealer ... It is HIS choice to look for suggestions and do his own work just as it is mine...

His last sentence was "Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!"

That's what I went out of my way to do for him... He could take or leave my thoughts and/or suggestions...
    If the OP wishes to use R1234yf that is totally up to him... I found through research that Purdue had tested both refrigerants and found them to be very similar and I went with that research finding...

The OP could do a system evacuation and recharge it successfully without a dealership with a little research and a few pieces of AC recharging equipment available to anyone who wishes to do their own work...

I was told by a poster here that what I did would not work on my 2016 200s and I would have "problems" with the compressor failing... The AC system works just fine even with a long trip under it's belt.. I was also told that the two refrigerants were not compatible and they are... Yes I know that there have been changes to accommodate R1234yf (like the heat exchanger lines) which both my 200 and the OP have those (minor changes with the expansion valve body) but like I said the AC works fine... I do not have problems with unusually "high pressure" at the compressor from a frozen evaporator or AC lines... and my compressor does NOT cycle because of it... and yes as the Denso guy admitted the compressor was designed to WORK with BOTH refrigerants.. (thank you for admitting that this compressor WILL work like I said)... The modulating valve on the back of the compressor WILL change the flow of the refrigerant to accommodate the needs of the system and the HVAC computer can/will provide these changes as needed...

The AC system in my car was compromised when I got it salvaged ..(Condenser/AC lines/Compressor) along with $3700 worth of replacement parts... There was NO refrigeration gas within the system... I chose to recharge this car with a purely legal off the shelf refrigerant ...R134A instead of R1234yf in a system that does not have any leaks (tested to a vacuum close to -30psi and then retested a day later)...

I can be attacked for providing help when asked with making the OPs AC work... but it's OK and it can be ignored here when others "MOD" their cars ... and even admit to it by their sigs...

Echeck is the name for Ohio's Emissions testing stations... and ModdedAWD's 200 would not pass US Government nor Ohio emissions tests because of the modifications both hardware and software changes...
    He chooses to ignore one clean air act EPA law and I choose to ignore your version of the EPA clean air act laws..

Every "classic" car that is/was retrofitted from R12 to R134A is also "illegal"... The old R12 systems leak. They were not designed for for R134A and need recharging often releasing R134A... Where's the EPA "police"... going after them? They make illogical and non-enforceable laws

Just because you can buy NON-OEM or OEM parts in all 50 states doesn't make it legal to use them on your cars (there are EPA laws on modifying engine emmissions)...

I run only Valvoline Full Synthetic oil and transmission fluids, use OEM oil filters, and I do listen to advise that makes sense but doctors also are fallible...
    Our family doctor recently said my wife had problems with irritable bowel syndrome and she nearly died with a ruptured appendix.. I chose to research beyond that diagnosis and she is alive today because of it.. .

BTW...Global Warming has scientists on both sides pro and con and I choose to believe it is bs...

My thoughts and opinions....Yours may be different... I may have different opinions, I try not to attack fellow members, but I will respond with facts when challenged...
    Dave

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daves200s View Post

I can be attacked for providing help when asked with making the OPs AC work... but it's OK and it can be ignored here when others "MOD" their cars ... and even admit to it by their sigs...

Echeck is the name for Ohio's Emissions testing stations... and ModdedAWD's 200 would not pass US Government nor Ohio emissions tests because of the modifications both hardware and software changes...
    He chooses to ignore one clean air act EPA law and I choose to ignore your version of the EPA clean air act laws..
    Who actually attacked you? I saw where someone disagreed with you and stated you were wrong. Nothing wrong with pointing out what someone thinks is mis-information - unless it becomes beating a dead horse and nothing productive comes of it besides back and forth bickering - or if a bunch of personal insults are used in the process of disagreement, If that happens I will lock the thread.

I am carefully reading through the thread again, and I am not seeing any actual attacks. There were some not so nice implications near the end after your rant about EPA laws. I actually agree thinking global warming isn't real is a bit on the side of thinking the earth isn't spherical. My opinion. There's a whole community that believes the earth is flat. I bet they have scientists too. There's a whole documentary about "flat earthers (?)" on Netflix... Just to clarify, I do think global warming is a real thing and the earth is round/spherical.

Speaking of laws - who was talking about emissions laws or EPA laws before you brought it up? I genuinely could have missed it, but I only noticed you talking about that. I know the original poster didn't ask about that. I don't think anyone is worried about if ModdedAWD... modifies... his 200 or not. Actually it would be hilarious if he didn't considering his forum handle. Many members of this forum have modified their 200, not that anything other than AC modifications or procedures are relevant to the topic.
    Last edited by Black Knight; 07-13-2019 at 01:43 AM. Reason: clarification
    "Black Knight" was my father's trucker CB handle.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD
    Factory tuned, RPM Torque Tube

2013 Chrysler 200 Limited V6
    Lease returned 1/28/17

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

I was just trying to help the OP of this thread with what I found that works...
    I agree we all have opinions and they should be accepted for just that...
    We should agree to disagree and leave it at that...
    Dave

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daves200s For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (07-13-2019), fltru103 (07-13-2019)

Thanks

I laughed at some of the posts here. I'm not sure why Dave200s is so fixated on EPA refrigerant laws. I never mentioned anything about it.

Dave, ALL of my bolt ons are 50 state legal and carry a CARB OE number for emission compliance. They all came with a little sticker to affix to your car for inspectors.

My opinion is based on the automotive A/C system testing I have been doing since 2013.
    All of my statements we're based on real failures that I saw during testing, not on a purdue university study.
    I don't like reckless misinformation. Dave200s was posting information that could cause more harm then good.
    I know I was a little heated, and I apologize of I offended anyone.
    2015 200S 3.6 AWD
    Mopar CAI
    Mopar cat back
    05281803aa lower intake
    BBK throttle body
    Unlocked PCM
    Player3 ECM and TCM tune

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ModdedAWD For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (Today)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ModdedAWD View Post
    I laughed at some of the posts here. I'm not sure why Dave200s is so fixated on EPA refrigerant laws. I never mentioned anything about it.

Dave, ALL of my bolt ons are 50 state legal and carry a CARB OE number for emission compliance. They all came with a little sticker to affix to your car for inspectors.

My opinion is based on the automotive A/C system testing I have been doing since 2013.
    All of my statements we're based on real failures that I saw during testing, not on a purdue university study.
    I don't like reckless misinformation. Dave200s was posting information that could cause more harm then good.
    I know I was a little heated, and I apologize of I offended anyone.
    Your information/opinion is very much appreciated and no problems whatsoever with the way you presented it. Thanks for sharing your professional expertise.

Just wanted to make very clear I 100% believe the earth is spherical, not flat.
    Last edited by Black Knight; Today at 04:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)