Refrigerant Recharge (r1234yf)
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Refrigerant Recharge (r1234yf)

Thanks

Exclamation Refrigerant Recharge (r1234yf)

I have a 2016 200S that I purchased about a year ago and I am beginning to have some major issues with my air conditioning.

My AC compressor failed about three months ago, missed warranty by about 5k miles, and I got that replaced. But the mechanic that replaced it said he did not have the proper refrigerant to recharge the system. I found that my vehicle takes r1234yf and it cannot be recharged using typical AC recharge techniques.

I bought a DIY recharge kit from amazon and now I am having trouble getting the compressor to take the charge. I am not great with cars, but have some knowledge, and it seems as if the pressure in the system is too high for the refrigerant to cycle through.

Has anyone dealt with recharging their r1234yf refrigerant in their 200? If so were you able to do it yourself, or did you have to take it to a dealer?

I called the dealership I bought it from and they told me that no matter what I have to get a diagnostics ran on the AC unit before servicing. That itself runs $360 and I truly cannot afford that just for cold air.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Proper servicing of A/C systems requires proper diagnosis and servicing. Any mechanic replacing a compressor should also be qualified to recharge it. Since he apparently was not, you need to take it somewhere where they can service the new refrigerant.

You cannot just add refrigerant to an empty system. It is full of air and moisture, both of which will not only corrode the system internally, but also take up the volume that the refrigerant needs to occupy. A vacuum pump and the knowledge of how to recharge this system are required. Sorry, there is no way to get around paying a professional. You risk ruining the system and causing a lot more damage than what you are being quoted now.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blincoln For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (05-29-2019), fltru103 (05-29-2019)

Thanks

You can put it under a vacuum for about an hour to get all the moisture and air out of it. Any ac machine can do it.
    Ate you in Michigan ?
    2015 200S 3.6 AWD
    Mopar CAI
    Mopar cat back
    05281803aa lower intake
    BBK throttle body
    Unlocked PCM
    Player3 ECM and TCM tune

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)