#4 cylinder missing
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: #4 cylinder missing

Thanks

Default #4 cylinder missing

2016 200. The engine is idling rough and hesitates quite a bit while driving. I did a scan on the computer and came up with a code, don't recall the exact #, for # 4 cylinder coil pack being bad. Changed the plugs and the # 4 coil pack and the issue improved slightly but still missing when the engine is accelerating. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Mileage on the car?
    Getting the actual code(s) would help...

You might check for a "pulse" at the #4 cylinder coil pack using a "noid" or an oscilloscope... Chryslers have had problems with ECMs (engine control modules) over the years driving the coil packs but confirmation is a must...

Also substituting a coil pack from another cylinder can save you from buying a coil pack... If the coil pack failure moves to the other cylinder then it is bad...If it doesn't move (from #4) then the coil packs are OK and you need to look for the problem elsewhere...

If the engine has high mileage you could have a bad fuel injector or a burnt exhaust valve...Moving the injectors like the coil packs can help diagnose your problem(s) also
    Dave

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daves200s For This Useful Post:

blincoln (06-10-2019), Sleeper200c (06-07-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimmym504 View Post
    2016 200. The engine is idling rough and hesitates quite a bit while driving. I did a scan on the computer and came up with a code, don't recall the exact #, for # 4 cylinder coil pack being bad. Changed the plugs and the # 4 coil pack and the issue improved slightly but still missing when the engine is accelerating. Any ideas?
    I had the same thing happen.

The above advice is what I would do. Mine was because I didn't fully seat the coil, you'd think the screw holding it down would ensure that but it can still be not fully connected to the plug even with the screw on.

3.6 V6? If so, remove the foam entirely under the plenum before install/uninstall.
    Last edited by Black Knight; 06-07-2019 at 03:13 PM.
    "Black Knight" was my father's trucker CB handle.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD
    Factory tuned, RPM Torque Tube

2013 Chrysler 200 Limited V6
    Lease returned 1/28/17

6. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

77,000 miles. The thing is it is not a constant problem. If I am merging into traffic and accelerate it may or may not miss. If it does miss and I hold acceleration it eventually goes away and runs normal or if i decrease acceleration a bit it will also go away.

Thanks

Its the 4cyl. I will check and make sure the coil is installed correctly.

Thanks

Make sure you have the right plugs. The PZEV engine takes platinum plugs, the non-PZEV engine takes regular copper plugs.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blincoln For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (06-14-2019), fltru103 (06-14-2019), jimmym504 (06-24-2019)

Thanks

I put platinum plugs and confirmed the coil was installed correctly. Not sure whats going on with it. Its now running rough at idle and the new plugs are shot already needing to be replaced.

Thanks

I put platinum plugs and confirmed the coil was installed correctly. Not sure whats going on with it. Its now running rough at idle and the new plugs are shot already needing to be replaced.
    When you say the plugs are worn, what do they look like? Oil, soot... ? https://www.onallcylinders.com/2012/...r-spark-plugs/

Have you tested the compression?
    Last edited by Black Knight; 06-24-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Thanks

have not checked the compression. Really don't think that compression is an issue as the problem is intermittent. Sometimes runs great, sometimes misses badly. If it were a compression issue I would think it would never run great. Put new plugs in about a month ago and it was running great about 95% of the time. 3000 miles later and its about 50/50 at the moment. Ill pull the plugs tonight and get a pic but guessing they are bad.

Thanks

have not checked the compression. Really don't think that compression is an issue as the problem is intermittent. Sometimes runs great, sometimes misses badly. If it were a compression issue I would think it would never run great. Put new plugs in about a month ago and it was running great about 95% of the time. 3000 miles later and its about 50/50 at the moment. Ill pull the plugs tonight and get a pic but guessing they are bad.
    Has it thrown more codes ?
    Sounds like a fuel / air problem, or maybe some, or one of the sensors is failing and not sending the correct info to the ECU.
    It could even be an O2 sensor causing intermittent rich condition, thereby causing the plugs to foul.

I think I would have a certified tech look at and diagnose the problem. It could be any number of things, or a combination of things.

Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)