Ignition coils
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ignition coils

Thanks

Default Ignition coils

I was wondering if anyone has tried to upgrade to the Mopar 3 wire ignition coils yet that was part of the PUG. I have 86,000 on a '15 3.6 and am not sure about how many miles the original coils are good for or if they slowly diminish over time or they go bad all at once throwing a code. In any event, when I do replace them inevitably right now I'm leaning towards MSD or NGK over stock, accel, or Ripp but any kind of head to head comparison is hard to come by. Anybody have luck good or bad with any particular brand ?TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Whats a PUG?
    Ignition Coils are also called coil packs and you replace them as needed if/when they fail
    Dave

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Daves200s For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (07-07-2019)

Thanks

PUG -Pentastar UpGrade. Also known as PSU. it was first done in 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokees then every Pentastar got it later on.
    One of the main reasons the coils fail is due to varnish buildup, I didn't know if it would weaken output before shorting them out basically.

6. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by benjmopar View Post
    PUG -Pentastar UpGrade. Also known as PSU. it was first done in 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokees then every Pentastar got it later on.
    One of the main reasons the coils fail is due to varnish buildup, I didn't know if it would weaken output before shorting them out basically.

Wrong, Grand Cherokee, Durango, Pacifica & now the Wrangler JL got the PUG engine.

The 200, Charger, Challenger 2016+ did not get the PUG engine
    2016 Cherokee Trailhawk
    AFE Intake
    MMX Ported TB
    "PUG" Ported Lower Intake Manifold
    Flowmaster Super 10
    Player3 Custom Tune (With adjusted VVT Cams)

Thanks

Varnish buildup where, and how? Varnish is typically used to coat and protect coils. Varnish is non-conductive, does not cause shorting.

Thanks

Well technically the press release from FCA specifically said that the PSU will debut in the 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee meaning that yes, they were the first to get it. I do however also see your point that 3 other vehicles also got the update in the same model year. I didn't intentionally mean to imply that there was a MY difference between the JGC and the other vehicles. I mean it's just marketing but one model had to roll down the line first and get it stuffed in right ?

Thanks

In answer to part of your actual question, I am not sure how you would convert from 2 wire to 3 wire and what real benefit there would be after going through all that trouble. Doesn't seem like it would help much especially considering what you'd probably have to do.
    "Black Knight" was my father's trucker CB handle.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD
    Factory tuned, RPM Torque Tube

2013 Chrysler 200 Limited V6
    Lease returned 1/28/17

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Knight For This Useful Post:

benjmopar (07-08-2019), Sleeper200c (07-10-2019)

Thanks

Formerly, ignition coils were made with varnish and paper insulated high-voltage windings, inserted into a drawn-steel can and filled with oil or asphalt for insulation and moisture protection. Coils on modern automobiles are cast in filled epoxy resins which penetrate any voids within the winding. wikipedia
    I wasn't clear, sorry. I meant that the points of contact between the coil and spark plug can get buildup on them and it can be a non-conductive varnish like substance causing them to work harder kind of like back in the day when bad plug wires would wipe out a coil over time.When I put my lower intake on one of my plug wells had a decent amount of oil in it so in theory the oil could be 'baked' on to the contact point-potentially. I had taken my car into the dealership a week before to get the oil filter housing changed under warranty, within that week for whatever reason (i have my theories) the engine pulled a half quart out and totally saturated the foam insert and flooded one plug well and got a little bit in another.
    At one time a member that went by Go Kart was working on the 3 wire coils but abruptly disappeared and since I know Tyler and a couple others are aces on the pentastar I just wondered if they had any knowledge to share is why I asked the still unanswered original question lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    In answer to part of your actual question, I am not sure how you would convert from 2 wire to 3 wire and what real benefit there would be after going through all that trouble. Doesn't seem like it would help much especially considering what you'd probably have to do.
    Ok , just as I was saying in my last comment no one answered you up and answer lol.The benefit is the increase in output and you are probably 100% correct about not being worth the effort. As far as the other part of my question about preferred available coils I was hoping for some insight there as well. My brother has a 5.4 triton Ford and he bought a complete set of coils and one by one they went out on him, some auto parts store brand. Mopars can be finicky girls especially when electronics come into play. Thanks for your input though sir.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by benjmopar View Post
    Ok , just as I was saying in my last comment no one answered you up and answer lol.The benefit is the increase in output and you are probably 100% correct about not being worth the effort. As far as the other part of my question about preferred available coils I was hoping for some insight there as well. My brother has a 5.4 triton Ford and he bought a complete set of coils and one by one they went out on him, some auto parts store brand. Mopars can be finicky girls especially when electronics come into play. Thanks for your input though sir.
    Coils aren't supposed to have a maintenance interval, but I went through a bunch of OEM coils. Not covered under powertrain warranty.

I think if I would have changed my plugs sooner they might have lasted longer theoretically. The first one went out around 50K miles or so if I recall correctly.

I replaced them with a parts store brand. So far so good. I can't imagine a performance difference between any of them, however I would imagine some will last longer than others.
    "Black Knight" was my father's trucker CB handle.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD
    Factory tuned, RPM Torque Tube

2013 Chrysler 200 Limited V6
    Lease returned 1/28/17

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Knight For This Useful Post:

benjmopar (07-08-2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)