Spark Plugs at 100K miles (100028 miles) Pictures
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

    Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Spark Plugs at 100K miles (100028 miles) Pictures

  1. #1
    Super Moderator Black Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    2,345
    Thanks
    1,087
    Thanked 374 Times in 300 Posts

    Default Spark Plugs at 100K miles (100028 miles) Pictures

    Spark Plugs at 100K miles (100028 miles) Pictures-100k.png
    This is a real shot, what are the chances I pull in the garage and shut it off and it's exactly at 100K miles?

    I would/should have changed my plugs at 50K miles if I would have known. I have never had a vehicle with plugs that looked this bad at 100K miles. I replaced them with OEM Champion plugs. I might have picked a different brand if I would have pulled the old ones out first. Here's #2,4 and 6 next to the new ones.

    Spark Plugs at 100K miles (100028 miles) Pictures-246plugs.jpg


    Look at CLY 5's plug (next to another random old one), electrode is worn almost all the way off, it's actually still there but nearly flush. I don't know how it wasn't throwing a code, running rough/misfiring.

    Spark Plugs at 100K miles (100028 miles) Pictures-electrode.png



    I did clean my injectors while I had it all apart, not just for the sake of cleaning, although I am glad I did cause they were in fact very dirty, but I pulled them because injector #6 was stuck open.

    Long story short it threw codes P0306, P0206 and P219B.
    I moved coil 6 to 1, cleared codes, a few miles later same codes appeared again.

    I replaced injector #6 and cleaned the rest of them - they were pretty dirty. I will snap a picture of the bad one later.

    So odd I never got a P0305 code...
    "Black Knight" was my father's trucker CB handle.

    2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD
    Factory tuned, RPM Torque Tube

    2013 Chrysler 200 Limited V6
    Lease returned 1/28/17




  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Black Knight For This Useful Post:

    fltru103 (07-09-2019), Pennhaven (07-09-2019), Sleeper200c (07-10-2019)

  3. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements
     

  4. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100k.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	308.5 KB 
ID:	54410
    This is a real shot, what are the chances I pull in the garage and shut it off and it's exactly at 100K miles?

    I would/should have changed my plugs at 50K miles if I would have known. I have never had a vehicle with plugs that looked this bad at 100K miles. I replaced them with OEM Champion plugs. I might have picked a different brand if I would have pulled the old ones out first. Here's #2,4 and 6 next to the new ones.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	246plugs.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	54412


    Look at CLY 5's plug (next to another random old one), electrode is worn almost all the way off, it's actually still there but nearly flush. I don't know how it wasn't throwing a code, running rough/misfiring.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	electrode.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	314.4 KB 
ID:	54414



    I did clean my injectors while I had it all apart, not just for the sake of cleaning, although I am glad I did cause they were in fact very dirty, but I pulled them because injector #6 was stuck open.

    Long story short it threw codes P0306, P0206 and P219B.
    I moved coil 6 to 1, cleared codes, a few miles later same codes appeared again.

    I replaced injector #6 and cleaned the rest of them - they were pretty dirty. I will snap a picture of the bad one later.

    So odd I never got a P0305 code...
    Good gawd man, that electrode is gone. I'm glad I pulled my plugs when I did my lower intake, I'll have to remember to throw the gap gauge on the old ones to see how far gone my electrodes were but they were all still visible. No wonder you were having coil issues lol. That sucks about your injector, it's no wonder DI is unpopular with the state of the gasoline available.

  5. #3
    Super Moderator fltru103's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    southern New Jersey
    Posts
    1,666
    Thanks
    408
    Thanked 315 Times in 277 Posts

    Default

    After changing the plugs in our 200 recently, I'll have to agree with Black Knight. These plugs should be changed earlier.
    Mine looked similar with the worn burnt electrode hardly left. Even though I have the 2.4 tigershark, leaving plugs in for 100K is too long.
    The cost of the new plugs and the minimal effort to change them will result in a smoother, better running engine.
    My wife said her car runs better, especially when first started cold ! If she notices, then it must be a big difference.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to fltru103 For This Useful Post:

    Black Knight (07-09-2019)

  7. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements
     

  8. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    106
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 33 Times in 23 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100k.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	308.5 KB 
ID:	54410
    This is a real shot, what are the chances I pull in the garage and shut it off and it's exactly at 100K miles?

    I would/should have changed my plugs at 50K miles if I would have known. I have never had a vehicle with plugs that looked this bad at 100K miles. I replaced them with OEM Champion plugs. I might have picked a different brand if I would have pulled the old ones out first. Here's #2,4 and 6 next to the new ones.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	246plugs.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	54412


    Look at CLY 5's plug (next to another random old one), electrode is worn almost all the way off, it's actually still there but nearly flush. I don't know how it wasn't throwing a code, running rough/misfiring.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	electrode.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	314.4 KB 
ID:	54414



    I did clean my injectors while I had it all apart, not just for the sake of cleaning, although I am glad I did cause they were in fact very dirty, but I pulled them because injector #6 was stuck open.

    Long story short it threw codes P0306, P0206 and P219B.
    I moved coil 6 to 1, cleared codes, a few miles later same codes appeared again.

    I replaced injector #6 and cleaned the rest of them - they were pretty dirty. I will snap a picture of the bad one later.

    So odd I never got a P0305 code...
    I checked the platinum plugs in my wife's 2012 200 (2.4L) at about 60K and they looked like new. It now has 78K and runs like new. She has the PZEV engine.
    But I bought a 2011 Chrysler 200 (2.4L) last fall, with the non-PZEV engine. It has regular copper plugs that are required to be changed every 32K miles. The car had 95K miles on it, and ran fine, except on slight hills, when it would skip in 6th gear, and then when it downshifted, ran fine and had good power.
    I pulled the plugs and the center electrode was almost gone. The gap had to be at least .070 or more. Yet it ran fine except for that one condition, and got combined 29 mpg city/highway. I'm convinced that they were the original plugs. Can't believe it started, let alone ran well.

  9. #5
    Senior Member Sleeper200c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    R.I.
    Posts
    249
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 51 Times in 37 Posts

    Default

    Yikes!... Was gonna do the PUG lower and plugs next year around 75k but after seeing this, will prob do sooner. Manual says change at 65k and looks like they got that right! Any suggestions on better than O.E./ high performance plugs??
    2015 200c 3.6 fwd

    Magnaflow cat-back exhaust
    K&N C.A.I.
    RPM torque tube
    RPM base stage 93 octane tune
    225/50r17 Hankooks noble s2
    Amsoil 5w20
    Amsoil P.I. before oil changes
    Amsoil dominator coolant boost
    Stant 18 psi coolant cap
    Tree air freshners under seats

  10. #6
    Super Moderator fltru103's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    southern New Jersey
    Posts
    1,666
    Thanks
    408
    Thanked 315 Times in 277 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper200c View Post
    Yikes!... Was gonna do the PUG lower and plugs next year around 75k but after seeing this, will prob do sooner. Manual says change at 65k and looks like they got that right! Any suggestions on better than O.E./ high performance plugs??
    Owners manual says replace spark plugs at 100K.
    However, several of us have said the plugs were well worn and could ( or should ) be replaced sooner.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fltru103 For This Useful Post:

    Black Knight (07-11-2019), Sleeper200c (07-11-2019)

  12. #7
    Senior Member Sleeper200c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    R.I.
    Posts
    249
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 51 Times in 37 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fltru103 View Post
    Owners manual says replace spark plugs at 100K.
    However, several of us have said the plugs were well worn and could ( or should ) be replaced sooner.
    Ok...thought it said 65k I'll double check. Either way I take back what I said....they're way off!
    2015 200c 3.6 fwd

    Magnaflow cat-back exhaust
    K&N C.A.I.
    RPM torque tube
    RPM base stage 93 octane tune
    225/50r17 Hankooks noble s2
    Amsoil 5w20
    Amsoil P.I. before oil changes
    Amsoil dominator coolant boost
    Stant 18 psi coolant cap
    Tree air freshners under seats

  13. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,530
    Thanks
    194
    Thanked 190 Times in 166 Posts

    Default

    [QUOTE=Black Knight;6424
    I did clean my injectors while I had it all apart, not just for the sake of cleaning, although I am glad I did cause they were in fact very dirty, but I pulled them because injector #6 was stuck open.

    Long story short it threw codes P0306, P0206 and P219B.
    I moved coil 6 to 1, cleared codes, a few miles later same codes appeared again.

    I replaced injector #6 and cleaned the rest of them - they were pretty dirty. I will snap a picture of the bad one later.

    So odd I never got a P0305 code...[/QUOTE]

    So for those of us whom are either not as capable or just don't have the time to clean our injectors like this, would you say that a simpler fuel injection cleaning fluid bought at local auto store would clean these well enough? Or were they so bad that it required pulling? Thanks! I've been debating either buying fuel injector cleaner to put in the fuel or to pay the dealer to do this since they recommended it about a year ago. No codes or issue with my 200 running. Figured dealer was just up-selling.
    2015 Chrysler 200C v6 FWD
    Moonroof, 19" wheels
    Chrysler bike hitch receiver

  14. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    106
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 33 Times in 23 Posts

    Default

    I have never used a FI cleaner on any car, never had to. Three of them have gone over 240K miles, one to 308K miles, all ran like new. Are you using a good, brand name gasoline all the time, or a discount gas? A good detergent gasoline should prevent any service for injectors.

  15. #10
    Super Moderator Black Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    2,345
    Thanks
    1,087
    Thanked 374 Times in 300 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by travman View Post
    So for those of us whom are either not as capable or just don't have the time to clean our injectors like this, would you say that a simpler fuel injection cleaning fluid bought at local auto store would clean these well enough? Or were they so bad that it required pulling? Thanks! I've been debating either buying fuel injector cleaner to put in the fuel or to pay the dealer to do this since they recommended it about a year ago. No codes or issue with my 200 running. Figured dealer was just up-selling.
    I noticed after the maintenance my performance improved and so did fuel economy, before I was getting average ~22MPG on gasoline (E85 ~18MPG), so far averaging 25MPG now and it noticeably has more power - I drive quite a bit so it's been long enough to tell the fuel economy. The faulty injector was faulty, the fact that it was dirty I don't think had anything to do with it, because they all looked the same - something inside the injector was broken etc... I am just glad it wasn't the wiring to the injector - P0206 code is fuel injector 6 circuit stuck open.

    I thought my "butt dynometer" was pretty accurate, but gradual performance degradation is so gradual, most people including me wouldn't notice their fuel injectors getting dirty or spark plugs wearing out "it still runs smooth/fine/powerful".

    If you run fuel injector cleaner in the tank, and I would - I highly recommend BG 44K. It actually works and has great reviews. It's expensive compared to other things that claim to work, and it can be hard to find locally, and you have to use it as directed and not spill it on your paint etc... but it works very well. Also, no need to use it very often, maybe every 30K miles or so.

    I keep forgetting to take a picture of the fuel injector - I will try and remember to post it here tonight.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Knight For This Useful Post:

    travman (07-11-2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0