Rusted/Broken ECU Grounding Wire
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rusted/Broken ECU Grounding Wire

Thanks

Default Rusted/Broken ECU Grounding Wire

2016 200S 2.4

So I checked under the hood today and noticed something odd.There is a grounding wire from what I assume is the ECU module that is completely rusted and broken. Could this have caused any damage to the car? and how do I go about replacing the wire?
    Rusted/Broken ECU Grounding Wire-img_20190714_195351_9.jpg
    Thanks for the help!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Welcome to the forum astrogto !
    Please take a moment to fill out the profile section so everyone knows your car, model & engine combo.

Our car is not here right now so I can't check. I don't recall ever seeing a wire like that.
    Are you the original owner ? Could someone have added that for an accessory, etc. ?
    Some 2016 vehicles are still under the 3/36 warranty. Are you ?

I'll look tonight when our car gets back. In the mean time, hopefully someone else can take a look at what you have described.

Thanks

That looks like a mechanical support, not an electrical wire, if I'm looking at the right thing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

When I was rebuilding the front end of my 2016 200s I had to repair this same wire and relocate it to the radiator support as the stud that the nut fastened to (on the frame rail) was sheared off..

Where is the wire broken off? At the lug at the stud? My wire was actually long enough to move it to a different location... You may be able to just replace the lug and crimp the wire back on if that's the case... The wire I have is black in color... Yours looks like the color has been washed away but still insulating the copper conductor...

Most manufacturers do not spend needless money adding wires/parts so that wire should be reconnected/repaired... You may get away with the ECM/PCM running for a while and If the engine is running OK I doubt that any damage has occurred at the moment... The ECM has probably found another way to ground itself through the wiring harness for now...
    Dave

Thanks

Interesting, it should have had a black insulation over the wire like Daves200s stated.

Rusted/Broken ECU Grounding Wire-20190715_210849.jpg
    2015 Chrysler 200C v6 FWD
    Moonroof, 19" wheels
    Chrysler bike hitch receiver

Thanks

Just an observation that might not be correct, your radiator hose has some arrows and line up lines on it. Possible someone replaced your radiator hose and cut the wire while trying to replace it?
    2015 Chrysler 200C v6 FWD
    Moonroof, 19" wheels
    Chrysler bike hitch receiver

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)