Ptu = kput - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ptu = kput

Thanks

Sorry didn't mean to worry you but I would get an extended warranty now if you can - if you don't want to pay to have someone do it (or if you can replace it yourself) after the factory warranty is up.

I am going to replace it myself if I can't get a goodwill repair from the dealer I bought 3 Chrysler 200's from. The part itself used is ~$250-300 + fluid + my time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Since i have a AWD myself, what are the early symptoms of a PTU failure ?
    i read a couple of thread here and on the Cherooke forums but couldn't find the answer.

All i know so far is :

- Service AWD - MIL
    - heavy clunk noise and no power after that

I even read that a grinding noise when turning the wheels and accelerating.

Other than that ?
    • 2015 Chrysler 200S V6 AWD
    • MOPAR 419 Extended Warranty 7yr/115K

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix21 View Post
    i read a couple of thread here and on the Cherooke forums but couldn't find the answer.

All i know so far is :

- Service AWD - MIL

Other than that ?
    Just cause mine failed - 3 times - most people will probably not have an issue but... you never know.

That said - symptoms for me were, front wheels start to lose traction gradually and randomly on slippery surfaces. Rear wheels just start to not engage and it acts like a FWD car, and then eventually the light comes on intermittently, and if not taken in and fixed the light will stay on, noises start a little while after that.
    "Black Knight" was my father's trucker CB handle.

2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD
    Factory tuned, RPM Torque Tube

2013 Chrysler 200 Limited V6
    Lease returned 1/28/17

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Knight For This Useful Post:

Matrix21 (08-13-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix21 View Post

All i know so far is :

- Service AWD - MIL

Other than that ?
    Not sure if ANY of this is related... but very early in the car's life they found some leaks in the rear transaxle, replaced some seals and all was supposedly well... went through a couple REALLY cold winters and noticed on cold starts were was a serious "whine" coming from the rear end, high pitched grinding, amplified at lower speeds, eventually went away as the car warmed up.

Then this summer, maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago, driving normally, in D, regular old to and from work stuff... Service AWD light comes on, EVIC tells me AWD Unavailable and Requires Service... took it in, all under power train warranty, mind you... you replaced the PTU actuator... car was fine for 3 weeks... then boom, same thing, normal every day driving and it's back on.

I've never driven this car hard (honestly it's RARELY seen anything over 80, let alone the right side of the tach) and almost never drive in Sport mode. Not sure if any of those previous issues are related, but just figured I'd throw them out there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lswaidz For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (08-13-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lswaidz View Post
    I've never driven this car hard (honestly it's RARELY seen anything over 80, let alone the right side of the tach) and almost never drive in Sport mode. Not sure if any of those previous issues are related, but just figured I'd throw them out there.
    That's what I have read on the Cherokee forum as well as far as failures and driving habits. PTU, driveshaft and rear axle.

Yes I am an enthusiast and yes I have enjoyed my ~300HP I paid for on occasion, but most of the time I don't drive it hard - I drive lots of highway miles with the cruise control on, I have a long commute.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)