Chryssy has the hiccups again :<
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chryssy has the hiccups again :<

Thanks

Default Chryssy has the hiccups again :<

Hey guys. I hope everyone has been having a great summer so far. I have a 2016 limited with the 2.4 tigershark motor just turned 54,000 miles. About 6 months ago maybe longer, I had a CEL on for a misfire in #3 cylinder. Took it to the dealer they replaced the coil on cylinder #3 under the 60K powertrain warranty. The last few weeks I noticed the car has been idling rough. Its very noticeable when I put the car in drive. It feels like a 25 year old honda lol. I know these engines aren't the most refined out there but with only 54,000 miles it shouldn't be vibrating THIS much. Earlier, when I was leaving for work I was pulling out of my parking spot and it starting sputtering really bad for about 30 seconds and then it was real smooth. Im gonna start by checking the plugs but im guessing there may be another coil that's going out. There has been no CEL at all so if it IS another coil or plugs im surprised its not throwing a code. Im driving to Illinois in a few weeks and I want to try and get this taken care of ASAP. Anyone have any thoughts? Any and all responses are greatly appreciated. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Good first place to check are the spark plugs.
    Changed ours around 97K and they were well worn and afterward the car ran so much better.
    Throwing a can of good fuel injector cleaner wouldn't hurt either. ( IMO )

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fltru103 For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (07-29-2019), Sleeper200c (07-29-2019)

Thanks

Good idea, checking the plugs is always a good place to start for suspected misfires and rough idles. They can tell you a lot. At least maybe give you something to go on since there's no CEL. Good luck!

6. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

These plugs don't last 100K but that's the maintenance interval in the manual. In fact they begin to kill coils if left in for more than 50K - my experience anyway. Could be cause I used E85 predominately and it does burn hotter (I don't regret using E85). I would have saved so much headache and $$ replacing the plugs every 30K miles. I only have 2 original coils left on the vehicle.

http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com...-coil-failure/

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Black Knight For This Useful Post:

Buckeye200 (07-29-2019), Daves200s (07-31-2019), Gooch (07-31-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    These plugs don't last 100K but that's the maintenance interval in the manual. In fact they begin to kill coils if left in for more than 50K - my experience anyway. Could be cause I used E85 predominately and it does burn hotter (I don't regret using E85). I would have saved so much headache and $$ replacing the plugs every 30K miles. I only have 2 original coils left on the vehicle.
    That's good info, thanks for sharing that. My car has just shy of 80k with little E85 usage...maybe half a dozen tanks over three years...and I've never even considered checking them at this point. Think I'll add that to the routine maintenance agenda, making sure that even if they don't need replaced that they at least have the proper gap. Hopefully that'll keep the overheating coil situation from happening.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye200 View Post
    That's good info, thanks for sharing that. My car has just shy of 80k with little E85 usage...maybe half a dozen tanks over three years...and I've never even considered checking them at this point. Think I'll add that to the routine maintenance agenda, making sure that even if they don't need replaced that they at least have the proper gap. Hopefully that'll keep the overheating coil situation from happening.
    Since you have the 2.4 tigershark, it's easier and not at all expensive to just replace with new plugs. Bought mine at the local auto parts store, 10 bucks for all 4 plugs. Originals are Champion 9775 (also known as part number REC10WMPB4).
    Here is a good video of replacing plugs on the 2.4 engine.
    https://paulstravelpictures.com/2015...ide/index.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fltru103 View Post
    Since you have the 2.4 tigershark, it's easier and not at all expensive to just replace with new plugs. Bought mine at the local auto parts store, 10 bucks for all 4 plugs.
    Hadn't priced them but at 10 bucks a set you're absolutely right. Cheaper to just replace them and not have to worry about it. And thanks for the link to the video! Looks way easier than some cars I've had in the past.

Thanks

I used to notice that my ex's Dart with the 2.4 used to run rougher when the oil is low. I know everyone else states plugs and such, which maybe right, but have you also checked your oil?

This engine can consume 1qt of oil every 800 to 1000 miles.
    2015 Chrysler 200C v6 FWD
    Moonroof, 19" wheels
    Chrysler bike hitch receiver

Thanks

Thank u for all the responses guys. With how intermittent this issue is im willing to guess its more likely ignition related. I JUST got an oil change done about 2 weeks ago from a reputable shop that ive dealt with before. I havent checked the oil level yet. Im at work at the moment when i come out in the morning to come home and the car is completely cool i'll check the oil level. And if ANY car is burning a whole quart of oil every 800-1000 miles thats not good. I always keep a 1/2 quart of oil in my trunk just incase. I havent had to use it as of yet. I ordered the plugs from pep boys i have to go pick them up in the morning. I got the OEM champion iridium plugs (part no. 9775) 4 of them for $28 which i didnt think was too bad. It beats paying $115 at the chrysler dealer for diagnostics and them telling me there's nothing wrong. I also ordered an air filter, mine has about 10,000 miles on it i wanted to change it before my trip anyway so i'll do that too while i have everything apart. Hopefully the plugs themselves will fix the problem. If it doesnt, then i'll go buy an ignition coil and start replacing one by one to see if maybe its another coil starting to go out. I'm also going to put in a bottle of fuel injection cleaner. Usually right before i leave for Illinois every year i throw a bottle of techron in the fuel system. I'll put it in as soon as my gas tank gets under a quarter tank and go from there. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again for your responses i appreciate it greatly.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to phillyitaliano For This Useful Post:

fltru103 (07-30-2019)

Thanks

Hey there guys. I just wanted to give you all an update on whats going on with my car. I changed all 4 spark plugs and its idling 100% better. Its not breaking up or sputtering anymore. Its pretty much almost as smooth as they day i bought her with 5 miles. The old plugs look really burnt. Only 54,000 miles, ive never had a car that ate plugs up after that little bit of miles. i'm wondering if i should do the coils anyway just incase at some point. I'm going to try to post a picture of the plugs that i took so you all can see them. I was pleasantly surprised at how simple this was. It took me less than an hour. Thanks again for all your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chryssy has the hiccups again :<-img_1136.jpg  
    Last edited by phillyitaliano; 07-31-2019 at 01:33 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phillyitaliano For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (07-31-2019), Gooch (07-31-2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)