Factory Batteries
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

    Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Factory Batteries

  1. #1
    Junior Member Buckeye200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Glouster, OH
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post

    Default Factory Batteries

    This won't be a revelation to anyone that reads the posts in this forum regularly but my battery died at just under three years of owning my 200. This seems to be relatively common for factory batteries between 3-5 years of age. I wanted to post to reiterate what Black Night said in the sticky titled "REPLACE THAT BATTERY or at least have it tested". Mine died with absolutely no warning whatsoever. Not a hard start nor even a dim light. Again, not new news. What I thought was peculiar though is the factory Chrysler battery had a date of 2013. Mind you I purchased my 2016 200 in Nov of 2016 so I believe that battery sat for years before it even went in my car. Had I known this i would have replaced it long ago but I never took the heat shield off so I never saw the date. I didn't but I recommend everyone with a factory battery heed Black Knight's advice in the sticky and get that battery replaced or tested. And I recommend a load tester vice a multimeter. My old battery read 12V on my meter but failed under load. Hope this helps save someone some headache.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buckeye200 For This Useful Post:

    Black Knight (Yesterday), fltru103 (Yesterday), Sleeper200c (08-13-2019)

  3. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements
     

  4. #2
    Senior Member Sleeper200c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    R.I.
    Posts
    261
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 53 Times in 38 Posts

    Default

    Did warranty cover it? Not that you wanted another poop battery but you might've got a few more years for the bubble. Having said that, I didn't bother, I had a year old Interstate in my garage I took out of my kids car that he blew up.
    2015 200c 3.6 fwd

    Magnaflow cat-back exhaust
    K&N C.A.I.
    RPM torque tube
    RPM base stage 93 octane tune
    225/50r17 Hankooks noble s2
    Amsoil 5w20
    Amsoil P.I. before oil changes
    EBC Red stuff brake pads
    Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors
    Amsoil synthetic brake fluid
    Amsoil dominator coolant boost
    Stant 18 psi coolant cap
    Tree air freshners under seats

  5. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    120
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 38 Times in 25 Posts

    Default

    I bought my 2011 200 last fall, and the battery and alternator both failed last month. The battery was the original, dated May 2011, the car was made June 2011. The battery light came on during my commute home, and I made it 20 miles before the ABS and ESC lights started toggling, and then the transmission started randomly shifting down and up. At that point I called a tow truck.
    Got my money's worth.

  6. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements
     

  7. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Massillon, Ohio
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 30 Times in 19 Posts

    Default

    I just replaced my battery in the 2016 200s this last week... Drove to help a friend ... Parked it... Came out a couple of hours later and it cranked for about a half a second and no more... A month ago I checked the battery and it showed good when tested it as a 720 cold crank battery... When I tested it this time it showed bad as a 560 cold crank... All the auto parts reference manuals called for a 560 CCA that was much smaller... I found an EXIDE the same size as the original with a 720 CCA at Menards... for $120.00 with a 3 year over the counter warranty...
    This seems like quite a bit of overkill for a 4 cylinder engine but the higher CCA only cost $30.00 more...

    I had no strange electronic faults and no indication it was on it's way out... It worked one minute and the next minute it was bad... The original was made by Johnson Controls...
    Dave

  8. #5
    Super Moderator Black Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    2,372
    Thanks
    1,113
    Thanked 385 Times in 308 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blincoln View Post
    I bought my 2011 200 last fall, and the battery and alternator both failed last month. The battery was the original, dated May 2011, the car was made June 2011. The battery light came on during my commute home, and I made it 20 miles before the ABS and ESC lights started toggling, and then the transmission started randomly shifting down and up. At that point I called a tow truck.
    Got my money's worth.
    First gen 200's are a different story with the battery, at least in my experience. That's why I put the sticky thread here in the 2015+ UF section.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Knight For This Useful Post:

    blincoln (Yesterday)

  10. #6
    Junior Member Buckeye200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Glouster, OH
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper200c View Post
    Did warranty cover it? Not that you wanted another poop battery but you might've got a few more years for the bubble. Having said that, I didn't bother, I had a year old Interstate in my garage I took out of my kids car that he blew up.
    My car is well out of warranty range as it has 80k miles on it. Luckily you had a spare battery, saved yourself around $120 and that Interstate battery should last you a good long while.

  11. #7
    Junior Member Buckeye200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Glouster, OH
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daves200s View Post
    I just replaced my battery in the 2016 200s this last week... Drove to help a friend ... Parked it... Came out a couple of hours later and it cranked for about a half a second and no more... A month ago I checked the battery and it showed good when tested it as a 720 cold crank battery... When I tested it this time it showed bad as a 560 cold crank... All the auto parts reference manuals called for a 560 CCA that was much smaller... I found an EXIDE the same size as the original with a 720 CCA at Menards... for $120.00 with a 3 year over the counter warranty...
    This seems like quite a bit of overkill for a 4 cylinder engine but the higher CCA only cost $30.00 more...

    I had no strange electronic faults and no indication it was on it's way out... It worked one minute and the next minute it was bad... The original was made by Johnson Controls...
    Dave
    I've had good experiences with Exide batteries though it has been a few years since I've used one. I went with the factory CCA as I didn't see a need for more on a low compression 4cyl engine that seldom sees sub zero temps either. After all, it performed flawlessly until last Sunday. What drove my decision most was the warranty. I got a 2 year replacement, which is average I suppose for the middle of the road quality batteries but as I was begging a ride to the parts store from my neighbor I couldn't ask them to go across town to get the 5 year-3 year replace/2 year prorate battery that I wanted.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0