2012 Covertible with a warped Cargo Shield
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2012 Covertible with a warped Cargo Shield

Thanks

Default 2012 Covertible with a warped Cargo Shield

Hi new Member. I have had my 2012 convertible for 5 years and I absolutely love it. Living in California I have plenty of opportunities to have the top down. This past winter however we have had an exceptional amount of rain and I haven’t had the top down for about 5 months. When I went to put the top down the other day I got a message regarding the Cargo Sheild. Not having seen that in 5 years, I pulled out my manual. When I looked at the Cargo Shield I could clearly see that the upper piece was warped and bowing out so that the 3 clips no longer slid into place. This was also causing the springs on the side to be bent.

I was surprised this could happen with nothing in the trunk and the top up. I wasn’t worried too much though because I have a “Bumper to Bumber” extended warranty. It should be covered - right? WRONG!!! It’s considered a wearable part. So frustrating. We bought the extra warranty because of the convertible top and potential issues there might be.

Has anyone else experienced a problem similar to this? Was I supposed to folding up the Cargo Shield when not using the top? That is not explained in the manual. Now we have to replace not just that panel, but the entire Cargo Shield setup. CHA-CHING!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

I have a 2011 HT convertible. I live in Oregon and drive with the top down when I can, but we also have several months of rain. I have had the Cargo Shield up and down during the 8 years I've owned the car and have never seen the warping you mention. The idea that it is a wearable part seems weird since it only moves when you place it up or down.

Thanks

My 2012 convertible needed to have the cargo shield replaced when I purchased the car used in 2013. There are some threads on this in the Chrysler convertible forum. I think some folks have replaced the hinges with something from the hardware store. There is a little bow in the shield even when new.

Here is a link to the Chrysler convertible forum....

http://sebringclub.net/index.php

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Jsilva

I am also a recent new member. I am the fourth owner of a fairly low mileage 2012 Chrysler 200 Touring convertible. I discovered the same problem with the cargo shield in my cars rear compartment. Sometimes you have to wonder what in the world people do with these cars and how the are misused. I found the best price on a replacement cargo shield for yours and my car from Dallas Dodge. It is named panel - storage compartment and the part number is 1EP41XXXAE - $522.70 Price from MoparPartsGiant.com (Dallas Dodge). Don't be put off by the website information that it doesn't not fit because it does. I've called Dallas Dodge twice about this error and they have done nothing about that misinformation. I hope this helps.

Thanks

Jsilva

I want to add that in my case I believe a previous owner put something inside of the cargo shield and maybe left it there for some time which would warp the plastic. An owner should be able to leave the shield down for convertible operation and fold it out of the way for more rear compartment space when needed. It is simple to replace having four washer type hex nuts (metric) holding it in place to four threaded rods in the floor of the rear compartment. I replaced mine last fall and it has been fine ever since. Being a car nut I even gave the new part a treatment with Meguiars plastic polish. Living in Northern Colorado I can only enjoy the top down for a few months of the year. I hope this extra information helps.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)