LED conversion?
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: LED conversion?

Thanks

Default LED conversion?

Just bought my 2015 200S. I have read a thread on here pertaining to people converting some of the interior lights to LED. However I haven't seen a How-To guide or any actual part #'s labeled. If anyone has some info that would be great. I may just need to create a How-To guide for the forum.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

I have done the conversion to LED and you will need 7x 194, 5SMD LED bulbs. Now, 4 will be inside the vehicle, one will be in the truck, and then two for the license plate.

These are the bulbs I used, they are very cool white, and pretty bright.
    http://www.amazon.com/Zone-Tech-5-sm...ywords=194+led

HOWEVER, for the license plate bulbs, they barely fit. You can either use them as it, take off the top LED, or buy these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cutequeen-8PCS...ywords=194+led

As for replacing them, the license plate is pretty easy. All you have to do is pry off the clear plastic housing, unplug the bulb, plug the new one in, test, flip the bulb 180 (polarity) if the bulb doesn't light up, and then replace the lens.

Trunk bulb: THIS LAMP GETS HOT... the lens is part of the housing, so to replace this bulb, you have to pry from the left or right (i think it is the left) as there is a retaining clip that holds the housing in place. Once you get it out, the rest is self explanatory.

Interior Driver and Front Passenger Lights (no sunroof): open the sunglasses holder, pry the console down. There are two clips on each side. They will just snap out. From here, you have to unplug the wiring harness and then remove the light bulb from its housing. This is a little tricky and I don't remember how they come out. Once you install the LEDs, test and re-install the console.

Interior Rear Map Lights (no sunroof): You can pry this unit out as well. There are clips on both sides. Once you get this one down, replace the bulbs, test, and reinstall.

For all the prying, I recommend using a plastic prying tool. All I had was a spudger and it seemed to work ok. I wish I had some trim removal tools, would have made it easier. Overall though, this is an easy mod. You can pretty much just go for it and figure it out as you go. Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 121a For This Useful Post:

WAP Guy (11-05-2014)

Thanks

Thanks,

My car does have the sunroof. I actually already ordered the Cutequeen ones you listed. Are the Zone Tech ones brighter for the interior?
    2015 200S AWD
    Comfort, Premium Light, and Navigation Group, Panoramic Sunroof, 19" Graphite Wheels, 20% Tint, Tinted Tails, LED Lit Cup Holder, WeatherTech Digital Floor mats,
    All Leather, All LED conversion, Debadged, Alpine SWS-10D4, Alpine MRV-M500

Hidden Content

6. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

The Zone Techs may be slightly brighter since they have have an extra LED. But the license plate, the Cutequeens should work without the LED hitting the lens.

As for the sunroof, there are some questions swirling around the forum as to if the dome lights in sunroof models are already LED. If they are, they cannot be changed as they are soldered on. Something to definitely check before ordering any more bulbs! Please report back as to what your interior lights are and if possible provide a picture for other members who have the Pano Sunroof and those of us who are just curious!

Thanks

$10 for all of the LED's...not to worried if they won't work, I'll just put them in the wife's car. I'll keep you updated.
    2015 200S AWD
    Comfort, Premium Light, and Navigation Group, Panoramic Sunroof, 19" Graphite Wheels, 20% Tint, Tinted Tails, LED Lit Cup Holder, WeatherTech Digital Floor mats,
    All Leather, All LED conversion, Debadged, Alpine SWS-10D4, Alpine MRV-M500

Hidden Content

Thanks

Am i to understand that there are no leds for the interior lights like the 2011 up?

Thanks

Just to elaborate on 121a's guide.

For the rear seat/dome lights (no sun roof) there are two clips at the back of the housing.

For the front seat lights there are two clips at the front of the housing.

I found the way to release them was by prying down on the corner nearest each clip. Rear corners for back seat, front corners for front seat. Using a plastic trim tool with an angled head (like as "7") worked best because of the added leverage.

The rear light sockets twist out of the back (top) of the housing. The front ones, with wires attached, pull straight out.

I was not able to get the 5-SMD lights to fit through the socket opening on the front lights. The only way I could see that those might be installed without modifying the light housing would possibly be to disassemble the housing and install them from the lens side. The 4-SMD lights fit easily though the socket opening though and do provide enough light, so that's what I used.

For the license plate lights I was able to use the 5-SMD LEDs without modifying them, however the SMD on the tip of the LED "bulb" is jammed tightly against the lens. It just fits with possibly a very slight (< 1 mm) deformation of the lens. The good thing is they'll never work loose with the lens pressing them into the socket.
    Last edited by Pennhaven; 10-31-2014 at 02:24 PM.
    200C AWD
    Granite Crystal / Linen
    Safety Tec, Premium, Navigation & Sound
    Premium Lighting
    Replaced OE HID bulbs with Morimoto 5,500K
    18"
    OE Bridgestone Ecopias Replaced w/ Yokohama YK580s
    Mopar All-Weather Mats, Cargo Net, Cargo Area Tray
    Reverse, Interior, Trunk and License Plate
    LED Conversion
    3M
    Color Stable Glass Tint - Visor 35%, Side & Rear 50%
    K&N Drop-in Air Filter, RPM Motorsports Torque Tube
    MGP Black Caliper Covers, TitaniumTim 200C Coasters

Thanks

I have the sunroof and the interior lights seem to be incandescent. Or they're very yellow LEDs. I have the premium lighting group and was kind of thinking it would have all LEDs. I'm not quite brave enough to start prying stuff off just yet. I'd love to have some whiter light though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theRico View Post
    I have the sunroof and the interior lights seem to be incandescent. Or they're very yellow LEDs. I have the premium lighting group and was kind of thinking it would have all LEDs. I'm not quite brave enough to start prying stuff off just yet. I'd love to have some whiter light though.
    If you have the sunroof, they are LED.

I know they look to have an odd yellow color to them...but if you notice the footwell LED's, they are also this same yellow color.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to respdoc For This Useful Post:

theRico (11-01-2014)

Thanks

Ok so I know you guys described them in your post but I am still having a hard time following the pry points. That and I am afraid of breaking something. Can anyone post pictures with possibly the points annotated on the picture?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)