key fob question
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: key fob question

Thanks

Default key fob question

hi. i have the 2016 200s and for some reason the wifes fob does not want to work unless she holds the fob next to the car or the pushbutton. i put new batteries in both fobs about 3 months ago and hers is acting up again. i checked the voltage and the battery in that fob is 3.2 volts so that seems plenty. i looked in the book and did not see much on it but for if you have trouble with the fob to hold ithe back of the fob up to the pushbutton to start the car.

the dealer said that hole down the console under the shifter and the slide cup holder was for something but i cant remember. the wife said it is to charge the fob up but i did not see that in the book either.

so aside form another bad battery what could cause this? she swapped out the fob's and that seemed to work better. but time will tell. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Does your wife carry her cellphone near her key fob? If I have my key fob in the same pocket as my cellphone, it won't work unless it's right next to the vehicle.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Knight For This Useful Post:

Sleeper200c (06-30-2019)

Thanks

thanks black knight i can't say for 100% but she does have the fob on the outside of her purse/bag and the phone in the bag. so within 12" i'm sure. but she says it just started to do that within the last week. the last time it did that i put in new batteries. the old batteries had less than 3 volts this battery had 3.2 volts and stamped on the battery was 3 volts. so it had a bit more that advertised. she took the spare fob and put it in the same place on her purse/bag and she said it worked just fine. i did not measure that batteries voltage, but because i got them in the same blister pack i figure they should both be the same volts.

if i knew what that hole in the console did maybe that can help with the key. or make sure it stays programmed.

6. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

Dare I say? If u start getting some odd warnings and things flashing on your display, have your car battery checked. The original is horrible, most have replaced within 3ish years. The fob acting up is at least one of the signs its on the way out.
    2015 200c 3.6 fwd

Magnaflow cat-back exhaust
    K&N C.A.I.
    RPM torque tube
    RPM base stage 93 octane tune
    225/50r17 Hankooks noble s2
    Amsoil 5w20
    Amsoil P.I. before oil changes
    EBC Red stuff brake pads
    Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors
    Amsoil synthetic brake fluid
    Amsoil dominator coolant boost
    Stant 18 psi coolant cap
    Tree air freshners under seats

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sleeper200c For This Useful Post:

Black Knight (06-30-2019)

Thanks

thanks i will keep close attention on that. so far no flashing lights in the dash or any email warnings telling me i need to see the dealer for any type of repair. i get an email about once a month telling me how the car is doing. and now that i;m telling this i do not remember getting one of those as of late.

so far only one fob is giving us fits. but like i said she change them and now if the other one starts giving her fits then it may be time for looking into other possibilities. just looked and the last report i saved wan nov 2018 but i went to uconnect and checked the keep receiving reports just in case it got turned off by mistake. if something is going on maybe i will get a notice to take it to the dealer for some type of repair. if the fob is going bad it may just show up in that report.

thanks for this.
    Last edited by corvairbob; 06-30-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Thanks

so no one has this issue! if not it may be the batteries.

and what is that spot in the console the dealer told me to put the fob in there. what is the reason to do that. i did not see that in my book. or i just don't know what to look for in the book yet. thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by corvairbob View Post
    so no one has this issue! if not it may be the batteries.

and what is that spot in the console the dealer told me to put the fob in there. what is the reason to do that. i did not see that in my book. or i just don't know what to look for in the book yet. thanks
    Are you sure the dealer wasn't just telling you to put the keyfob in this storage area to be free from any electrical interference from your wifes purse? As far as I know there isn't any spot on the dash, other than the start button to help keyfob regain it's connection. The keyfob is not rechargeable, battery is only replaceable. I think there was an aftermarket upgrade for cell phone wireless charger to go under there, but am not certain on that.

The only specific hole in this storage area is meant to take your car out of park should it require a tow.

Last edited by travman; 07-02-2019 at 09:03 PM.
    2015 Chrysler 200C v6 FWD
    Moonroof, 19" wheels
    Chrysler bike hitch receiver

Thanks

Are you sure the dealer wasn't just telling you to put the keyfob in this storage area to be free from any electrical interference from your wifes purse? As far as I know there isn't any spot on the dash, other than the start button to help keyfob regain it's connection. The keyfob is not rechargeable, battery is only replaceable. I think there was an aftermarket upgrade for cell phone wireless charger to go under there, but am not certain on that.

it has been a few years. we both thought we heard his tell us that little hole under the sliding tray was to recharge the fob or to keep the program. mu guess it was just a convenient place to hold it while driving

The only specific hole in this storage area is meant to take your car out of park should it require a tow.

that hole i'm talking about has nothing to do with taking it out of park as i don't see any connection for that. thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by corvairbob View Post

it has been a few years. we both thought we heard his tell us that little hole under the sliding tray was to recharge the fob or to keep the program. mu guess it was just a convenient place to hold it while driving

that hole i'm talking about has nothing to do with taking it out of park as i don't see any connection for that. thanks.
    Ah, thought you were talking about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvpKRySr1TM
    2015 Chrysler 200C v6 FWD
    Moonroof, 19" wheels
    Chrysler bike hitch receiver

Thanks

no not the emergency brake release. if you slike the cup holder panel back and look down in that well above the usb port there is a hole and just above that hole are markings, when we got the car the salesman was showing us all the bells and whistles and then he opened that slider and showed us the usb and power port and some other port down in that storage area. then we asked why that hole and he said we put the key fob in there if the car fails to see that fob and the car will charge it a bit and then allow the car to start.

the book says to put the back of the fob up to the push button and then push the button with the fob and that will allow the car to start, so a bit confusing here.

i figured that hole was to run cable thru from the ports in that storage are to the shelf under the shifter.

the wife is not putting the phone further away in her bag from the fob and she said it is working better, but i will have her switch fobs again and see if the affected fob starts to work better again. i will try to remember to update this next week as she will not be driving much for the 4th thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)