Convertible top malfunction - Page 2
  1. Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chrysler 200.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chrysler 200 Forum : Chrysler 200 Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Convertible top malfunction

Thanks

Hello everyone -
    I have a 2012 200 convertible soft top. When I try to lower the roof, I press the down button - the trunk lifts up, the tonnow moves forward, and then nothing. No sound - no movement, and then a few seconds later the display reads "convertible top malfunction."
    NORMALLY the next thing would be that the latches by the windshield release, the roof would rise & retract, and the trunk would drop down.

I can't find a Chrysler dealer around me that knows how to fix their own brand of vehicle. There must be a sensor that isn't working, but I don't know where to look for it. Any ideas? Please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

If you send me a PM with your email address I can send you a technical document that describes how the system operates and the location of the various switches, etc.

There is another forum sebringclub.net which for some reason I can't reach at the moment, and they are specifically about Chrysler convertibles. You might get more help there.

There is also some diagnostic software available that has similar functional capabilities to the dealer diagnostic program. It is very inexpensive and runs on a Windows laptop. Only $50 but you need a special cable (about $40) to plug into the diagnostic port. I bought this software and it will allow you to read every electronic module in the car, including the power top control module. Most likely you will have a Chrysler trouble code stored that will point you toward the problem. You should get the software and hardware. Here is a link.

https://appcar-diagfca.com/en/

Thanks

Hi, I'm a dealer in Orlando Florida and just had 2 of those cars come in with top problems.

I sent the hard top to Chrysler dealer and after paying $135 to be told they ran tests and it all failed.

They wanted another $270 then if no luck another $400 also diagnose the problem.

I got fed up and took it back.

I unbolted the headed plate and did several tests myself, which took less than 1 hour ($135) they charged me at the dealer.

Bottom line, the problem is the motor that powers the latch that clamps down the top to the windshield frame.

Motor gets week and can power it all the way so that the switch sees it latched.

I checked the second soft top 200 and the problem was the same.

I found out by removing the motor and operating the latches manually and everything worked perfectly.

Top opens and closes flawlessly.

Chrysler dealerships don't know anything and charge a lot for no work performed.

Any one needing help with this, let me know. I can help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler 200 Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks

In regards to the above post #13.
    The I.P. address of this post is invalid, which raises suspicion with me.
    While I appreciate anybody wanting to help with our vehicles, I must post this message for everyone to be careful of who you reply to, or correspond with.

fltru103 - mod

Thanks

I'm not sure why someone would say my IP address is invalid. I am posting thru my smart phone. Would that be why?

Anyways, I'm not trying to charge anybody. I am just trying to pay it forward.

I spent $135 for nothing, so I would like to help other people with the same problem.

As a car dealer, I'm presented with all kinds of issues and the internet always help with other people sharing the same problem and also offering the solution.

That is the reason why I posted.

Was to do my part. I have been helped many times and now is my turn to do the same.

Thanks

I'm writing again from a computer, maybe this time there will be an IP address.

Anyways, I am pretty sure I got it figured out what the problem is with the convertible top for the latter sebrings and 200.

If anyone needs help free of charge, please contact me and I will be of assistance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

List your make, model & engine spec

Please select your insurance company (Optional)