Chrysler 200 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Chrysler 200 Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2015 limited 2.4l. I’m working on the god awful starter. I can access every bolt besides the top one. And according to alldata I should be able to “barely” access it to loosen it... well I can’t. I can barely get a socket on it let alone turn it. So my question, is it possible to pull the motor mounts like you could do on older fwd cars and rock the motor forward to give more access to the back of the motor. I remember on older impalas you could loosen the two dog bones on the front of the motor and ratchet the motor forward. But ours have a motor mount on the left and right side and one underneath.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,335 Posts
It does look involved. Give yourself time (if you can) and take rest breaks when needed.
You can get through this. I have faith in you and your abilities. ;)
A cold drink and a radio on might help.

2.4L

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable. If equipped with an Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS), disconnect the IBS connector first before disconnecting the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the Power Distribution Center (PDC) assembly.
  3. Remove the battery tray.

4. Reposition the starter B+ PDC wiring harness by releasing it from the fasteners along the engine block. This will create more access to the upper starter mounting bolt (1).

5. Loosen the upper starter mounting bolt (1).

NOTE:​
    The bolt will not be able to be removed due to lack of clearance.​
  6. Remove the half shaft.

7. Remove the nut (1) securing the B+ cable to the starter motor.
  8. Remove and isolate the B+ cable from the starter.
  9. Remove the lower starter mounting bolt (2).

10. Using a suitable tool, release the solenoid harness connector (1) from the starter connector port.

Lowering the starter will allow you to gain access to the locking tab of the connector. Unlock the connector prior to attempting to disconnect the solenoid harness from the starter. Attempting to remove the connector prior to unlocking can damage the connector.​
  11. Remove the starter from the vehicle.

·
Registered
2015 Chrysler 200 Limited
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does look involved. Give yourself time (if you can) and take rest breaks when needed.
You can get through this. I have faith in you and your abilities. ;)
A cold drink and a radio on might help.

2.4L

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable. If equipped with an Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS), disconnect the IBS connector first before disconnecting the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the Power Distribution Center (PDC) assembly.
  3. Remove the battery tray.

4. Reposition the starter B+ PDC wiring harness by releasing it from the fasteners along the engine block. This will create more access to the upper starter mounting bolt (1).

5. Loosen the upper starter mounting bolt (1).

The bolt will not be able to be removed due to lack of clearance.​
  6. Remove the half shaft.

7. Remove the nut (1) securing the B+ cable to the starter motor.
  8. Remove and isolate the B+ cable from the starter.
  9. Remove the lower starter mounting bolt (2).

10. Using a suitable tool, release the solenoid harness connector (1) from the starter connector port.

Lowering the starter will allow you to gain access to the locking tab of the connector. Unlock the connector prior to attempting to disconnect the solenoid harness from the starter. Attempting to remove the connector prior to unlocking can damage the connector.​
  11. Remove the starter from the vehicle.
Thanks. I have all this info already. But that top bolt is still a joke of a bolt they think you should be able to reach. I’ve tried wobble extensions, bent ratchets. Bent wrenches. **** I’ve tried just getting my fingers on it and that got me no where.

That’s kind of why I wanted to know about rocking the motor ,if I had two or three more inches on the firewall side, I can almost bet I’d be able to slip a wrench on it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Chrysler 200 S, 1998 Sebring JX
1,335 Posts
I have 'made' tools to fit an application. In some cases it has meant cutting or grinding a socket, wrench or screwdriver for the job.
If tipping the engine/transaxle can be done without damaging adjacent components, give it a try. You might have to disconnect or drop the exhaust to get enough 'flex'.
I used to unbolt front and rear mounts so I could pivot the eng/trans on the East/West mounts. You gotta do what allows the job to move forward, without screwing yourself.

Reactions: NathanHenning

·
Registered
24 Posts
I worked at a dealership and replaced many transmissions on these god awful cars under warranty. The starter bolts are an absolute joke. No you cannot rock the powertrain forward. The weight carrying mounts are on top, so it rocks at the bottom, which will do you no good. On the old GM cars, the main mounts are on the bottom so that’s why you’re able to take off the top mounts and rock the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts