Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't discern a way to see if another 200 (while driving) has a 2.4 or 3.6 unless I look at the rear end to see if it has "dual" exhaust ports. I seem to do this every time I see another 200, how about other owners with the 3.6 engine?
By the way there are lots of 200's in east central Indiana.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Another thing you can look for is if it has the AWD badge on the left of the trunk. All wheel drive was only offered with the V6.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Typically if it is an S model, it has the V6. There are a few red-headed step-child S models that had a 4 cylinder installed (I know because my co-worker had one), but they are not very common. The exhaust cutouts are about the only way, but even then, some "dual exhaust" 200's can have a 4 cylinder (see the red-headed step-child above). Typically the C models are V6 also, but there may be some 4 cylinders in those also (though I haven't heard of this combo).

I usually check them out too. I have the panoramic sunroof in mine, so I am always looking to see if there are others with them. It is pretty rare to see 200's with the sunroof - I have only seen a handful in the year or so I have had mine - and I've seen hundreds of 200's (being in the Detroit area).

·
Super Moderator
1,763 Posts
I can't discern a way to see if another 200 (while driving) has a 2.4 or 3.6 unless I look at the rear end to see if it has "dual" exhaust ports. I seem to do this every time I see another 200, how about other owners with the 3.6 engine?
By the way there are lots of 200's in east central Indiana.
As Pitter98 said, no real way to tell because certain models have options that may be on both engine packages.
We have a 200S, with the 2.4 cylinder engine, and yes, it has dual exhaust.

·
Registered
288 Posts
2.4 has dual exhaust but it's hidden and doesn't have the exhaust tips in the bumper cover. Another 3.6 give away , but you can't really see unless your close is on the front bumper cover. there's 2 fake air foil grills on each bottom corner. If it's a 3.6, the right one is open. The air intake is on that side.

·
Super Moderator
1,763 Posts
2.4 has dual exhaust but it's hidden and doesn't have the exhaust tips in the bumper cover. Another 3.6 give away , but you can't really see unless your close is on the front bumper cover. there's 2 fake air foil grills on each bottom corner. If it's a 3.6, the right one is open. The air intake is on that side.
Wrong !
Our 2.4 engine, with dual exhaust, has the fancy chrome pipes exiting though the rear valance, just like a 3.6 version.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Wrong !
Our 2.4 engine, with dual exhaust, has the fancy chrome pipes exiting though the rear valance, just like a 3.6 version.
O cool! ...they put the wrong engine in it!���� you got the better lookin one anyway. Does it have the the open air foil on the front bottom right?

·
Super Moderator
1,763 Posts
O cool! ...they put the wrong engine in it!���� you got the better lookin one anyway. Does it have the the open air foil on the front bottom right?
Yea, they did put the wrong engine in it !!
I should have got the 3.6, but the wife has a heavy foot, so I felt the slower 2.4 might keep her out of trouble.
In hindsight, I should have got the AWD model as the car isn't that good in the snow. Thankfully we don't have real bad winters around here.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Wrong on both. The 2.4 with a single exhaust has the hidden outlet. I have a 2.4 with a single hidden exhaust and have the air inlet on the bottom right of the front bumper that goes up to the airbox.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I always thought that you may be able to tell what engine it has from the front upper grill as I have noticed that I4 has closed out sections on the coners, and the V6 doesn’t have front grill coners close. Of course if it has the right one and not been changed

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've found an easy way to tell... at least in my town. The 4cyl owners all drive like idiots and try to race every other car on the road. While the 6 cyl owners seem to be better drivers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Every v6 has dual exhaust, as does every s model. If you have a 4cyl limited or c you will not have duals.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
Wrong on both. The 2.4 with a single exhaust has the hidden outlet. I have a 2.4 with a single hidden exhaust and have the air inlet on the bottom right of the front bumper that goes up to the airbox.
Agree to disagree!! That's awesome! Well that's Chrysler for ya...there were a lot of model options at first, like you guys said. So if you don't have AWD who knows!! I'm not familiar w the 2.4 but after looking the air box is in the same spot as the 3.6 so makes sense. Even the exhaust systems look the same for both engines

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ha! I'm wrong again! Love it...now that I checked out some 2.4s I see tha air box is on the same side. I think the one sure way too tell if it's a 3.6 is to race!

But not a Lambo

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yep, I do the same thing. They are pretty popular here in Northern Utah as well. I see several usually every day. It's either the badge that gives it away, but always the exhaust. It's the easiest way by far.

I have two now myself, both are 2015 C AWD models with the 3.6L. My daily driver has nearly 90,000 miles on it now, and the one I recently purchased out of Colorado has all of the Tech Features and less than 29,000 miles on it. It has the E-85 gas cap though. The way it drove back from the Denver area, it didn't seem to have as much HP or Torque. I was thinking it was probably because the previous owner was using E-85. Once I got it home after having put a fresh tank of E-10 on the way back it ran a bit better. Now I have put a tank of Ethanol free in it along with a bottle of Sea Foam. I have changed the Air Filter which was really dirty. I have changed the Spark Plugs and I just purchased 4 total Oil Catch Cans (2 for each car)) that I am going to install this weekend. My second 200C also has 19" Wheels rather than the 18" wheels on my first one. I am finding there is less of a selection of good tires for the 19" wheels. Currently it has Nexen crap tires on it. My First 200C has Michelin tires.

·
Super Moderator
2,411 Posts
I have seen Chrysler 200 S' with the same rear bumper and exhaust outlets as mine, and some of them are 2.4's. I didn't know the 2.4 came with dual exhaust as an option.

Here's an example:

http://www.thesharpestrides.com/vehicle.cfm?vehicleID=227406689&-2015-Chrysler-200

I think the E85 badge is a giveaway that it's a 2.4. I have never seen a V6 with one, although they do have the yellow fuel cap if equipped to run E85

Only 100% way to tell is an AWD badge (unless someone puts one on their FWD) because AWD is V6 only.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts