Chrysler 200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal to be in sport mode and be able to have the transmission do the following?

Say your in 2, 3, or 4 gear. Press the up paddle shifter and hold it down for 2 seconds straight. If your in 2, it will shift to 3 and then it will stay there. However, it's almost like you changed the rotary knob back to the D position but you didn't. It just performs like it's back in D again.

Again say your in 4th gear and you press and continue to hold the down paddle shifter for 3-5 seconds. The transmission will as quickly as possible drop the gears down.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't understand what you are saying. If you hold the + paddle down for 3 seconds it will put the car back in D, that is normal. However, my 200 S would not do that at times, it would gear down if I hit the + paddle and would not engage "D" if I held it down, it would cause me to have to throw it in neutral and D again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the clarification. It seems they really put a lot of thought into the transmission design.

·
Registered
365 Posts
There certainly is a little bit of a learning curve with the S-mode and paddle shifters. A few IllBeDammed moments, and a few head scratchers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It will stay in sport mode but revert back to auto as you haven't a tempted to shift in a few seconds. If you tap the paddle again it will go back to manual sport.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
After searching through the owners manual and user's guide I have yet to find anything that satisfactorily explains how "S" mode really works. Maybe I'm just missing it somewhere, but I finally got determined to figure it out on my
own. I still have more learning to do, and I don't know anything about holding this paddle down or that paddle up as I guess I never got that far yet. But, this is what I do know! When you are sitting still with the car in "Park" and you
put the shifter knob in "S" mode then take off, it seems to delay the shift points, but it WILL shift on it's own at the shift point if you don't shift first. This is what I call (automatic "S" mode!) Now, from a stop again, turn your shifter knob from "Park" to "S" mode, but this time before you take off, hit your upshift/right paddle one time. You'll notice that your center display will change from whatever you had it set on, to a display that lets you know what gear you're in, AND each side of that gear display will light up in blue! Now, your car is in what I call (manual "S" mode), your steering and suspension will stiffen and your car will NOT change gears automatically, it MUST be done manually until your car is put back in standard drive mode OR automatic "S" mode. The main thing to remember though, is if your blue lights are not illuminated then you are not in manual "S" mode. I'm sure that you don't have to start from a stop to engage manual "S" mode as I was just using that as a starting point to show & explain how anyone can see it turn on and off. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why, when in "S" mode, sometimes it would shift on it's own, and sometimes it wouldn't...

Reactions: aksyssan

·
Super Moderator
2,618 Posts
I just wanted to add that if you are shifting manually in "S" or "D" it WILL automatically shift from first to second, but starting in second gear you will bounce off the rev limiter unless you manually shift up or put it back in automatic mode by holding the "+" paddle for a few seconds or by moving the knob from "S" to "D" or vice versa.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The S selection (sport mode) is engaged by pressing down on the E-shifter dial and turning to S).

The following highlights sport mode performance enhancements when the shifter is turned to the S position:

Engine
Performance-oriented accelerator pedal map
Increases engine braking

Transmission
Unique sport shift schedule, and shifts when commanded by paddles
Higher engine speed threshold per shift
Firm/fast shift engagement
Use of top gear disabled

All Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles
Enhanced torque map for launch modes
Yaw response modified for more aggressive driving
No AWD disconnect - AWD engaged 100 %
Rear-wheel torque biased

Steering
Increased steering effort for performance feel
Speed sensitive steering at higher speeds

Gauge Display
Displays icon signifying dynamic mode activation
Shift light to indicate max. RPM (w/paddle shift)
Displays selected gear (w/paddle shift)
Shift display showing manual shift gear is active (w/paddle shift)
Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) or Digital Information Display (DID) message when unavailable gear is selected (with paddle shift)

Active Cruise Control
Vehicle will accelerate at an increased rate when appropriate
Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
Traction control is turned off
Wheel slip is enabled

·
Registered
1 Posts
In Paddle mode holding the + (plus) paddle disengages Paddle mode and returns the vehicle to Drive mode. Look at this page for pictures and details of Sport mode and Paddle shifters on the 200 S and 200 C. MoparRebel.com has a page with pictures and details on Sport and Paddle shift modes.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Already discussed multiple times.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There certainly is a little bit of a learning curve with the S-mode and paddle shifters. The old models have their own manufacturing hobbies, everything can be arranged with patience and the right tools.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thank you kindly for explaining this, I was getting very confused with the S mode lol... Hopefully I'll get used to it soon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts